PDA

View Full Version : HF Base

Mendocino
12-16-2008, 01:29 PM
I am interested in getting a base transceiver and wanted to know what others in the club are using. I think my budget is around $1k. I was looking at the Kenwood TS-480HX (http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/HF_Base_Mobile/TS-480HX-480SAT)but would love some advice.

I would also like to know what antennas are being run for HF/VHF/UHF.

:cheers:

Groucho
12-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Right now I am using my Yaesu FT-857D as a base station. I also have a Kenwood TS-440S with a switched power supply that I use to power up the FT-857. I leave the power cable for the FT-857 in my 80, and use the one from the power supply.

The FT-857 is a really versatile radio, and with the DSP filters already installed in the -D model it is a real joy to listen with. I have a butternut vertical for 80-10 meters that is normally at ground level, but every so often on the weekend with contests I will put it up on the roof on a TV tripod that is up there. With a couple of radials at that height it has received some very good signal reports on many of the bands.

I also have various inverted-V dipoles for different bands that are home made. I only put those up if I really want to tune in a particular freq on a specific band. They are cheap and easy and almost invisible to the neighbors. And they work.

For 2M I have a homebrew 2M yagi that I have the plans for if anyone is interested. Costs about $10.

Mendocino
12-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Thanks Nathaniel. I have your directions for the home brew 2m but have not made one yet.

Convert
12-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Nathaniel
I would like the directions for the 2meter yagi.
Thanks Dan