PDA

View Full Version : Infrared Heating Systems

Corbet
12-17-2008, 02:10 PM
Anyone have any experience with portable supplemental infrared heating units? Do they live up to their high efficency claims? Or a waste of money over simply using a standard space heater when needed.

nakman
12-17-2008, 02:17 PM
search ya NooB! http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=5609

j/k Corbet :)

pmccumber
12-17-2008, 02:52 PM
I just read that thread on the most efficient electric heat and thought I'd pipe in a little. You would think a loss-less or near loss-less electric to heat generator would be a goal but heat-pumps do significantly better. Heat-pumps don't "create" heat per se, they isolate it. Other systems depend on creating heat electrically or chemically.

Now it isn't necessarily feasible as a retrofitted system but my dad's best friend built his new garage, and this crowd would love that garage - oh my, and in the process he layed thousands of feet of tubing underneath the foundation to fill with a fluid (thought it was water) and sunk it in the ground. He exchanges that huge thermal sink year round. And, he lives in northern Wisconsin so his heating challenge is certainly greater than ours.

The other one is an old coworker who lives up in Windsor who built a radiant heating solution and uses passive solar to heat the water. He claims he rarely needs to fire the gas boiler component. I like this one cuz it doesn't BLOW.

Corbet
12-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Tim I barely have the patience to start a thread from my phone, let alone search. I'll read it when I get home tonight.

Corbet
12-18-2008, 06:39 AM
OK, read that thread.

I have a co-worker however who swears by his?

Its a pretty expensive experiment so it looks like I'll skip it.

nakman
12-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Are you building something new Corbet? If so you should let Seldom Seen talk to you about geothermal..

Corbet
12-18-2008, 01:29 PM
no, just looking to heat our master bath more effectively. Its the only room in the house without hot water base board as it was an addition done by the PO. currently has 2 electric base board units that don't do much other than add $ to our electric bill. I'd just make sure to door was left open all the time but there are 9 windows plus an exterior door in the bath. It doesn't hold heat in very well.

Seldom Seen
12-18-2008, 03:26 PM
no, just looking to heat our master bath more effectively. Its the only room in the house without hot water base board as it was an addition done by the PO. currently has 2 electric base board units that don't do much other than add $ to our electric bill. I'd just make sure to door was left open all the time but there are 9 windows plus an exterior door in the bath. It doesn't hold heat in very well.

EZ retrofit. Check out Hydronic Radiator/Towel Warmers. (http://www.actionsupply.com/catalog/c940.html) Should be a minimally invasive install if the adjoining room has baseboard convectors.