PDA

View Full Version : Minitruck clutch

MDH33
12-18-2008, 09:49 AM
So, after all this freezing weather we've had, the clutch in my '82 mini is feeling really soft. I can shift now, but the pedal engages/disengages very close to the floor and doesn't feel like it has enough resistance and is "mushy" if that makes sense. It's not slipping at all.

Does this sound like the master is failing? or maybe air in the lines? adjustments? or am I looking at a new clutch... :confused:

leiniesred
12-18-2008, 10:39 AM
The clutch master cylinder only lasts for 1,000,000 pushes. (12 years or so.)
It always dies in the dead of winter.

It leaks out and down into the cab soaking the carpet. Then air gets in there and gives you a mushy warning you need to do some work. You can fill and bleed it, then check it every morning until a warm day comes along for swaping it out. It is an easy swap.

My slave cly is original at 20 years old.

MDH33
12-18-2008, 11:18 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head. :bowdown:

I checked up under the dash and it appears the clutch master is beginning to barf fluid out near the shaft and all over the linkage there. I'll call my local Toyota dealer and see if they can get me a new one.

Should the slave cylinder or any other clutch parts be replaced at the same time while I'm in there?

Cheeseman
12-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Both are easy fixes. But be careful with the hard line to the slave. It may not like to come apart nicely. Then into a hard line which are cheap if needed. Bleeding is not hard, just like brakes.
________
Brunette Vid (http://www.****tube.com/categories/15/brunette/videos/1)

MDH33
12-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks guys. I called Stevinson and they have both in stock. :thumb:

I'm going to try to knock it out tonight/tomorrow before the really cold weather hits this weekend.

PB blaster will be hitting those fittings immediately.

:beer:

Red_Chili
12-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Not to dissuade you from supporting local dealers, :eek:

BUT...

Marlin has some good prices on Aisin hydraulics.

DaveInDenver
12-18-2008, 01:15 PM
http://dave.matusiak.org/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/wonder_woman.jpg

Red_Chili
12-18-2008, 02:38 PM
My word, Dave, you've had some.... enhancements...

MDH33
12-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Not to dissuade you from supporting local dealers, :eek:

BUT...

Just returned from my local dealership whom I support and I am Happy to pay NEARLY DOUBLE what Marlin charges.

:banghead: :o

Oh well, at least I don't have to wait for the parts to arrive and I can go work on it tonight. I just won't be eating for the next couple of days. ;)

Red_Chili
12-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Sorry I was not more timely... :(

MDH33
12-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Sorry I was not more timely... :(

No worries. Thanks for the suggestion though. :thumb:

More questions. Is there any benefit to bench bleeding these before I begin, or can I just bolt them on and bleed them via the pedal? Is the clutch free play set prior to bleeding?

(I need a manual for this rig)

DaveInDenver
12-18-2008, 03:45 PM
(I need a manual for this rig)
Go to this thread.

If you follow the directions in that thread, you will find a folder called 1993_Truck_FSM. This is the whole FSM in PDF. It will give you enough understanding on this, it's the same for all trucks in principle.

MDH33
12-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Go to this thread.

If you follow the directions in that thread, you will find a folder called 1993_Truck_FSM. This is the whole FSM in PDF. It will give you enough understanding on this, it's the same for all trucks in principle.

Got it, Thanks! :beer:

isotel
12-18-2008, 04:32 PM
When i picked up my 89 4runner, the PO handed me a bottle of Brake Fluid, and showed me where he fills it up every week.. (Clutch Master)

My Driver side Carpet is BLACK due to the leaking Master for 5 years or so.. Under the Carpet there is alot of Surfuce Rust.. :rolleyes:

Took me 20 minutes and $5 at the Junk yard to pull out a new one. but now i need to put in a new carpet kit!

Red_Chili
12-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Go to this thread.

I find I don't need to bench bleed with a pressure bleeder (http://store.motiveproducts.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=motive&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=565380275&Count2=482520699). Saves a lot of unnecessary under-truck verbage... LOL. ESPECIALLY with the clutch system, as it goes up before it goes down... :rolleyes:

DaveInDenver
12-19-2008, 09:28 AM
I find I don't need to bench bleed with a pressure bleeder (http://store.motiveproducts.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=motive&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=565380275&Count2=482520699). Saves a lot of unnecessary under-truck verbage... LOL. ESPECIALLY with the clutch system, as it goes up before it goes down... :rolleyes:
I have a Motive power bleeder, too. It's OK on the brake M/C, a major PITA on the clutch master (I have my ARB compressor in the way, which makes getting in there extra un-fun). I'd personally bench bleed the clutch M/C rather than fiddle with the bleeder. I only have the universal adapter, if there exists a proper adapter then Power Bleeder might be much easier to deal with. I routinely end up blowing fluid out of the stupid thing at first.

Red_Chili
12-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Before you add fluid to the reservoir... pressurize it and make sure it holds pressure. Adjust till it does. Then add fluid.

DAMHIK... :lmao:

MDH33
12-19-2008, 10:02 AM
I read also that you can "gravity bleed" the clutch master. I don't have a pressure bleeder, so I was going to try this gravity method, then finish the old fashioned way. Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll let you know how it goes, should be finished this morning.

:thumb:

MDH33
12-19-2008, 10:03 AM
When i picked up my 89 4runner, the PO handed me a bottle of Brake Fluid, and showed me where he fills it up every week.. (Clutch Master)

My Driver side Carpet is BLACK due to the leaking Master for 5 years or so.. Under the Carpet there is alot of Surfuce Rust.. :rolleyes:

Took me 20 minutes and $5 at the Junk yard to pull out a new one. but now i need to put in a new carpet kit!

Luckily I'm catching mine early. Only a few drops have managed to hit my carpeting. :)

leiniesred
12-19-2008, 12:26 PM
I bench bleed mine first having wasted time with air in the master cylinder on a couple of racecars in the past. It only takes a couple of pushes.

Then, I put a 2x4 between the pedal and the seat to depress the pedal. I opened the bleeder on the slave and worked on something else for a spell.
I kept an eye the clutch master level. It gravity bled just fine on my truck.

DaveInDenver
12-19-2008, 12:42 PM
Then, I put a 2x4 between the pedal and the seat to depress the pedal.
The other advantage to this method is once you've trimmed the 2X4 to the right length to press the brake pedal it will be the correct length to use as a cruise control going to Moab, too. For you 80 drivers, this $1 piece of wood substitutes for the $500 button on your steering wheel and the complex system on your engine.

MDH33
12-19-2008, 05:15 PM
The new parts are in and the system is bled. I lucked out and had a nice "warm" day to work on it. Seems to be working well except now the clutch is engaging later, towards the top of the pedal release. I need to go back and tweak the clutch free play and distance I think.

DaveInDenver
12-19-2008, 05:27 PM
The new parts are in and the system is bled. I lucked out and had a nice "warm" day to work on it. Seems to be working well except now the clutch is engaging later, towards the top of the pedal release. I need to go back and tweak the clutch free play and distance I think.

Sound about right on the clutch rod. Good job!

MDH33
12-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Sound about right on the clutch rod. Good job!

Thanks! My first MiniTruck repair. :thumb:

The seized parking brake bell cranks don't count since those were identical to the set I did on my FJ60. :hill: