PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 lighting scheme

subzali
12-18-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm just causing trouble (I think it's stress-induced) and decided it would be a good time to figure out better lighting for my FJ40.

So I ordered up the Roundeyes headlights (http://www.roundeyes.com/Toyota_Headlamps-7_Round_Toyota_Conversion_Headlamps_1.html) for my truck today. The mod that nakman and Cardinal did (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=3193) looked cool, but this one has gotten good reviews and something needed to be done about my lighting.

I'm also thinking of adding fog lights to my setup, in the bumper after seeing ARB's 80 series Deluxe Bull Bar (http://arbusa.com/Products/Bull-Bars-Bumpers-And-Tire-Carriers/Bull-Bar-Bumper-Styles-And-Features/28.aspx)

I have the same bumper as Jeff in the picture: thoughts? The OEM fogs are cool but I don't know where I'd mount them.

treerootCO
12-18-2008, 02:22 PM
These are the ones I have been waiting for. They were at Sema 2007.

http://www.lightforce.net.au/LFDL_SEP09_2008_EMAIL.pdf - page 4/5

The LightForce Genesis lights should be available next month. About $600 retail each.

The Genesis lights are 210mm/ 8.5". They are available in either a Cornering Beam or a Spot Beam, 12V or 24V and also HID or Halogen. Right now, the lights are being sold Individually, but will most likely be available in a twin pack down the road.

Features:

* HID Bulb optionsthat give you more
* 15% Larger Reflector Surface Area
* Hard-Coated Polycarb lens and filter
* Less then half the weight of our rivals
* Sculptured Alloy Bezel
* Mil Spec Gore-Tex Breather (protects against moisture)
* Unique Mounting Position Options (4 mounting options)
* Anti-Theft Kit Options
* Filters available in: Clear, Yellow, Amber, Crystal Blue, and Opaque Black
* Filters available in above colors in Spread or Spot Filters

subzali
12-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Roundeyes are $100/pair. Those Lightforce lights are pretty awesome though.

Air Randy
12-18-2008, 06:33 PM
When I was back in the 'Nam, a pair of round eyes would cost you a lot more than $100..............................:bolt:

corsair23
12-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Matt,

IIRC I went with the PIAA 540s...I'd have to check to be sure. I looked up my old thread discussing the same issue and the problem is with the size of the lamp you can fit in between the bumper and the hoop unless you do something else like welding light tabs to the bumper etc. My PIAAs aree still in the box waiting to be mounted :doh:

As I recall we came up with the good idea of having a mounting tab fabricated that would go between the outer most and inner most bumper bolts and be slightly raised to center the lamps in the "hoop" on either side. I doubt I'll every get around to that so I'll probably just go with my earlier plan and mount the lights where the middle bumper bolts are. I don't think the bumper is going to get ripped off as there are like 10 bolts holding that sucker on IIRC?

subzali
12-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah but I was thinking that that's right where the tow hooks are :doh:

Which I guess is okay if you only ever use the tabs on the bumper itself, but I prefer to use the hooks myself.

I was thinking as I walked out of work tonight that this thing is so seldom driven, and driven in foggy weather, and has been fine so far that I shouldn't spend the extra time thinking about it or spending the money and time to get it done. I have better things to do. I can't wait for my roundeyes though :D

Azrael
12-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Keep us updated on the roundeyes. I've been thinking about laying down for a pair of those.

Shark Bait
12-18-2008, 08:09 PM
I have Roundeyes lights and like them.

subzali
12-18-2008, 08:24 PM
have you driven on the road with them yet to see what the pattern is like at night?

RicardoJM
12-18-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm interested in the round eyes as well. Nakman mentioned it was one of the best enhancements he did on his 40. The lights in my 40 are bright enough when there are no other light sources around but only because the 40 doesn't go fast enough to outrun the beam:D. Living in town there are plenty of times my lights seem to be drowned out by the all the other lights in the city.

subzali
12-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Nakman's mod was actually using IPF lights (see link in first post), with a new harness etc.

Jacket
12-19-2008, 09:48 AM
:ranger:

Just subscribing - carry on....

Red_Chili
12-19-2008, 10:06 AM
+1 on the harness, don't forget that. You may save as much as 2V dropped, which is good for a lot of lumens all by itself.

subzali
12-19-2008, 10:43 AM
From what I hear the Roundeyes just plug right in and don't need any harness modifications, and they are super bright just the way they come. That was the reason I went with them so easily compared to the IPF upgrade. If they need a harness upgrade to get better lighting then I'll deal with that then, but they are intended to be plug-and-play.

Hulk
12-19-2008, 10:52 AM
I have Hella H4 lights in place of the stockers. Great light, but they don't look as cool as Sharkbait's lights.

subzali
12-22-2008, 08:54 PM
So since I feel confined to my apartment these days, decided I should go do a before shot with my current headlights for a comparison. I found out that because the camera doesn't flash it picks up a lot of light, so hopefully you can tell that my headlights currently are horrible. And I'm hoping there will be a noticeable difference in headlight pattern with the Roundeyes, which hopefully will be here tomorrow :thumb:

Top two pictures are dims before and after, bottom two pictures are brights before and after, since it's not really obvious :rolleyes: And I swear this was a dark street, though you couldn't tell from the photo.

subzali
12-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Here are the Roundeyes fresh out of the package. Pretty easy, just the same as replacing the bulbs.

I added photos to the above post. I guess I'm not sure what to think. After looking at it, making adjustments etc. I'm not really sure what to expect out of my headlights, so it's hard for me to say if they helped out at all.

I have gotten comments on my old headlights, that they were bright etc., so if that's true compared to most FJ40s then that explains why they don't really seem any brighter to me. What the Roundeyes DO fix, though, is the scattered light pattern that I had with my old units. If you look at the above pictures, though, you'll see a bright spot about 10-15 feet in front of the truck. I tried adjusting the headlights up quite a ways to get that to raise up, but that part of the beam is blindingly bright, so I didn't think that's what I really wanted so I lowered it back down. I couldn't get that bright spot to raise up much anyway, so I figured it's supposed to be pointed more down at the ground.

If the lights are supposed to be blindingly bright, then yes they do their job :D

But headlights are a compromise because you want them as bright as possible so you can see, but you also need to consider people you are following, and people coming head-on, who have to deal with the business end of your beams. Also for cars, whose occupants sit lower to the ground and are going to subjected more to the brightness of the beams.

So I don't know? If I could get the bright spot to raise up so it's pointing forward rather than down the lights would probably be TOO bright for normal driving, but with them pointed down they aren't much different from my old units, except for a better pattern (which I would presumably get with new Sylvania sealed beams, so I guess other than that my old units were in pretty good shape - I know Treeroot has commented on them before).

I guess I'll drive around more and see how I like them as they get street time - see if people flash their lights at me :D

Or maybe I'm over-analyzing it all :rolleyes:

I do know that I need to clean the contacts for my bright switch though - it never ends on a 40 does it? :rolleyes: :zilla:

Hulk
12-25-2008, 01:48 AM
The new ones seem way better to me. Not only do they distribute the light more evenly, they shoot light way further down the road, which is key for avoiding deer and other obstacles. I think you made a good upgrade here!

RicardoJM
12-25-2008, 10:05 AM
In the pictures i see the new ones being much better as well. The after pictures were taken a "further back" on the street than the before pictures. The after light is much better straight down and to the sides. The new lights will do a much better job, would have let us see that jaywalker much earlier Tuesday night. You've definitely improved visibility. I believe the round eyes lights will be going on my truck.

subzali
12-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Yeah after I got home and posted up I realized the truck wasn't in the same place - I'll go fix that sometime and repost pictures.

The lights look pretty cool, at any rate :D

kvanoort
12-26-2008, 10:09 PM
The side by side looks better to me! :cool:

L43dean
01-02-2009, 01:16 AM
Mr.subzali, what lights are you now driving behind? I use 7" round Hella's on my 40 and the same IPF's on my HI-LUX. Each with 55/60 lamps (bulbs) and stock wiring. Both are the non-US spec. Both are much better than US spec. sealed beams. I like the IPF's a bit more, the light pattern appears fuller with more range (on low beam). I believe the Lightforce GENESIS' are auxilary lights, and it seems you are looking for stock light insert replacements. That is where I would start. Then aux. fogs. SEE YA! HA!

Rezarf
01-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Here is how to improve a 40's headlights... :D

135w bulbs in each one, but I did have to create an entirely new wiring setup from the battery to make it happen.

Talk about high beams! :D:hill:

subzali
01-02-2009, 10:51 AM
I have the Roundeyes with the 55/60 bulbs. Hulk has the Hellas and says he likes them too.

Drew, my bumper doesn't really have a place to mount lights like that, but I can believe that when you go to high beams you go to HIGH BEAMS! :D

nakman
01-02-2009, 10:57 AM
the one complaint I had with the IPF upgrade is there seemed to be a very distinct break between lit and dark- it was either off or on, you could almost draw a line across the garage door at night where it went from light to dark. Your Roundeyes appear to be better than that, in that you're actually getting some dispersion.

So if I read correctly you did not do the harness? That upgrade is probably as significant as the lights.. you'll definitely get another nice punch if you do the upgraded harness (ARB, Rogers, Christo's, etc.)

I know on the 80's, the upgrade from just the harness is probably more substantial than the upgrade from stock to John Deere bulbs. But most guys do both at the same time. :)

Rezarf
01-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Matt you can build an aux fuse panel and run new wires for all the doo-dads for about the cost of a ready made harness... I would be disappointed if you didn't put that ME paper to use! :D

subzali
01-03-2009, 11:22 PM
The point is that I'm a mechanical, not electrical, engineer. I really do hate electronics, and do as much as I can to avoid having to do electrical type stuff. There is a certain amount I try to learn, but mostly it ends up in me being all pissed off at something because it's not mechanical - I can't SEE it working (or not working), as it were.

So I'm going to keep trying this and see how it goes. I'm still not sure what the beam characteristic is supposed to look like, I guess I'll get a better feel for it as I drive it (haven't driven in the dark yet), but I'm pretty sure I don't want it any brighter, at least if I have the headlights set up the way they're supposed to be.

Corbet
01-04-2009, 08:05 PM
This is more for others out there as Matt already has his round eyes. But I've got the IPF inserts in my 60 and like them a lot. There is a distinct cut off which I fell is good but extra time aiming them is required. I also use the IPF bulbs. The ones with the glow rings around them. I don't think they are available anymore but I believe they were a HIR bulb. No wiring upgrade required. Much like the ones most of us run in our 80's.

rover67
01-05-2009, 09:05 AM
I have the roundeyes, and was going to do the harness as well. The roundeyes were a great upgrade, but i still feel they can be better if given the juice they need. Will post the results.

-Marco

Uncle Ben
01-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Since I lost the turn signals on the 40 fenders (by losing the stock fenders) I ordered my birthday present..... http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/images_product/normal/AUT6001C-20.jpg Hopefully, they have a good beam!

wesintl
01-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Since I lost the turn signals on the 40 fenders (by losing the stock fenders) I ordered my birthday present..... http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/images_product/normal/AUT6001C-20.jpg Hopefully, they have a good beam!

those look pretty cool. Why not run the blinker in the bib light? You still have those right?

Corbet
01-05-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm interested in the beam too as I've been looking at thoose too for my 40

subzali
01-05-2009, 07:45 PM
what are those?

subzali
01-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Talking to a friend of mine yesterday got me thinking that the part I'm missing from all this is the fact that I didn't upgrade my harness.

So that will come at some point, probably sooner rather than later, maybe once it starts warming up again...

Also got a tach that I'm going to try and get installed at some point too (it's era-correct and only 3" dia., so it should work nicely where I'm thinking of putting it (to the left of the instrument cluster). :)

subzali
01-26-2009, 10:40 AM
I came across this website that describes in a little more detail about some of the lighting upgrades (IPF specifically).

http://rocky-road.com/toyipfH4.html

I'll see what happens when I upgrade the harness, and sometime take some new pictures from the same spot with the new lights.

subzali
01-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Okay, look back on page 2 - I updated the pictures, taken tonight from about the same spot as the first pictures. Now you can really tell the difference.

Drove down to my parents tonight, west of Castle Rock, nice and dark down there. The headlights were wonderful. No more straining to see the road or the sides of the road. Even on dims there was plenty of light. And the brights were something all their own. I think they are pointed a little high though, so I'll have to adjust that. And I ordered up an IPF harness, so then we'll see what kind of difference that makes :D

MDH33
01-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Matt, is your plan to run an Auxiliary light set along with the Round Eyes?

subzali
01-30-2009, 09:08 AM
No, for me I think this is all I need. I was thinking about putting some kind of fog light in the bumper, but around here, and considering the amount I drive the truck, it's not worth the effort and I don't want to clutter up my front end, I think it has enough stuff on it already. And once I upgrade the harness I will have more than enough light for any nighttime driving conditions that I normally encounter, including off-road at night. I'm happy with just these.

Next I need to get a rear bumper figured out and start piling stuff on the rear end (under-bed aux fuel tank, spare tire, hi-lift/shovel on back, with room for two 20L water containers) :D

rover67
01-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Matt, do you know if the IPF harness switches the high beam indicator on also?

subzali
01-30-2009, 11:46 AM
I have no idea. Maybe nakman knows, since he put it on his old 40. I'm kinda curious to see how it works, and I haven't had a chance to look at the wiring diagram to see how the lighting works, how the current is running. Maybe a relay is needed?

rover67
01-30-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't know... I am also thinking about buying some of those crazy IPF bulbs... the IPF 80/110's look teeeempting.. but then why not go with the 100/170's? Maybe making sure they are aimed low enough would be OK...

subzali
01-30-2009, 12:41 PM
I don't know... I am also thinking about buying some of those crazy IPF bulbs... the IPF 80/110's look teeeempting.. but then why not go with the 100/170's? Maybe making sure they are aimed low enough would be OK...

...because that's twice the wattage I have right now and to me what I have is enough...but that's just me ;)

CardinalFJ60
01-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Matt, do you know if the IPF harness switches the high beam indicator on also?

I have the IPF (ARB) harness on both the 60 and 40...this does allow the indicator to light up. Plug and play. :thumb:

rover67
01-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Great, I just ordered one, and some 90/130 bulbs from www.roundeyes.com for 14 dollars each. thanks for starting the thread Matt!!

RicardoJM
02-12-2009, 09:58 PM
On the Switzerland run Martin mentioned that my left head light was out on the drive up Boulder canyon. While we were airing down we checked it and it was very dim. The lights have never been very bright and the light they put out was very yellow. Anyhow last Thursday evening on my way home the drivers side light went dark. Twice in a couple of weeks was all I needed to put my order in for some Roundeyes. They arrived today and I put them on earlier this evening.

WOW - I am very pleased with the improvement. :D

The improvement is well worth the premium price. I'm interested in hearing how the harness upgrade improves Subzali's situation when he gets it installed.

subzali
04-06-2009, 06:52 PM
My old boss Gary (Ol' Grateful) went from old yellow sealed beams to Roundeyes with the IPF harness upgrade:

Air Randy
04-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Whats the best way to re-adjust your headlights? After going to SOA and making lots of other changes I think they're wall-eyed and way high. Is there a set distance I should be from say a garage door, and then if so, where should the lights be aimed for proper alignment?