PDA

View Full Version : Gavin got a fat lip

nakman
12-20-2008, 01:37 PM
It's all fun & games until someone... :o anyway some fun & games ended quickly after lunch today when Gavin slipped and bonked his chin on the ground, causing him to bite the inside of his lip. Pretty good amount of blood at first, but it stopped after a minute or so with some ice. His mom was more shaken up that he was...

Going to pour some peroxide on it, then off to nap time. Since the bleeding has stopped, any point in getting stitches? Not sure how he'd sit still for that...

RockRunner
12-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Tim, just my opinion but don't use peroxide. It kills the skin that surrounds the area and causes it to take a little longer to heal.

Just clean it and send him to his nap, he'll be fine. Just remember when you were a kid...........

Beater
12-20-2008, 02:20 PM
i second that. peroxide actually degrades tissue.
salt water if anything, and lots of ibuprofe

(sent from my new PS3)

nakman
12-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Cool, and serendipitously enough we don't have any peroxide after all, so salt water it was. thanks, guys.

Air Randy
12-20-2008, 02:41 PM
I was a police officer and EMT for 13 years.

I would recommend you at least take him to the ER to be evaluated by a doctor. Yes, the bleeding has stopped but it looks like a sizeable cut. Since it's inside his mouth scarring isn't a concern. But, if you leave it open and it gets infected it could spread into the surrounding tissue and cause nerve damage.

Chances of that happening are slim, but you should get the doctor's view on it to be safe. Sometimes cuts like this are much deeper than they are wide.

Bikeman
12-20-2008, 02:57 PM
He's a trooper. That tops my 3 y.o. falling down the stairs...

theboomboom
12-20-2008, 03:35 PM
he'll be fine tim. he's fortunate that you around to be able to help right away and i'll second the suggestion that it wouldn't hurt to get looked at. not that they'll be able to do all that much, but if he doesn't know to leave it alone and not pick at it with his tongue it could take a while to heal.

regardless, gavin's a trooper. he must've taken a half dozen spills the day i met him while he was following us during your "tour". accidents are just one more life's lessons everyone has to learn sooner or later...

Uncle Ben
12-20-2008, 03:39 PM
he'll be fine tim. he's fortunate that you around to be able to help right away and i'll second the suggestion that it wouldn't hurt to get looked at. not that they'll be able to do all that much, but if he doesn't know to leave it alone and not pick at it with his tongue it could take a while to heal.

regardless, gavin's a trooper. he must've taken a half dozen spills the day i met him while he was following us during your "tour". accidents are just one more life's lessons everyone has to learn sooner or later...

If you wait till the weekday and take him to your regular doctor you can save the $50 co pay for the ER especially due to the fact that prolly not much they will do.

Shark Bait
12-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Regular salt water rinse, at least 1 minute per rinse, would help a lot. I just had a lot of dental work and swollen/irritated gums and that was what was recommended. :thumb:

Groucho
12-20-2008, 03:59 PM
If you wait till the weekday and take him to your regular doctor you can save the $50 co pay for the ER especially due to the fact that prolly not much they will do.

Or go to urgent care and pay less than ER but more than the doctor visit copay. The one at Bowles and C-470 is awesome and new. Probably too late now, but when I went there for my ring cutting my finger almost off I was in and out in no time, and the folks are just looking for things to do...

RockRunner
12-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Most of you will probably disagree with me but here it goes. He has a fat lip, not a big cut on his arm or leg caused by metal or something with infectious diseases attached to it. I think we are all old enough to remember what happened when we got a fat lip or a cut etc. Mom came out with the Iodine cleaned it up, slapped a band aid on it and told us to go out and play.

There is a reason costs are going up and immune systems are going down. A trip to the doctor or ER can run you anywhere from $20 to $100 just for them to say "keep it clean and come back in a week or if it gets worse come back sooner" They won't put stitches in it, most likely to late and to small.

There is a country song that hits this subject right on the nail. Bucky Covington sings "it was a different world" and it is so true. You may not like country but the lyrics say it all.

Don't get me wrong, if he is hurt run don't walk but a cut lip??:confused:

Keep an eye on him, if he hit his head hard enough he may have gotten a mild concussion. Of course the docs will tell you just to keep an eye out and wake him up every so often. :confused:

Here is a link to the video on Youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AlrFOBmdVI

And these are the lyrics;

A Different World
Bucky Covington

We were born to mothers who smoked and drank
Our cribs were covered in lead based paint
No child proof lids no seat belts in cars
Rode bikes with no helmets and still here we are, still here we are
We got daddy’s belt when we misbehaved
Had three TV channels you got up to change
No video games and no satellite
All we had were friends and they were outside, playin’ outside

Chorus
It was a different life
When we were boys and girls
Not just a different time
It was a different world

School always started the same every day
The pledge of allegiance then someone would pray
Not every kid made the team when they tried
We got disappointed and that was all right, we turned out all right

Chorus

Bridge
No bottled water, we drank from a garden hose
And every Sunday, all the stores were closed

Chorus

Chorus

It was a different world

powderpig
12-20-2008, 08:11 PM
I would not waste the time to go to the doc unless it start to show signs of infection. Salt water is great to help heal. Some good homeopathic's is a must in my mind. Some arnica and some tramel is great to have around. The homeopathic Treatment of Children is great to have around. I will post up the other book we use as well. I have a great herbalist in Lafyette to use instead of drugs for common aliments. But Gavin's cut is minor, wait until he does something major as most boy will. Of course this is all MHO and you will make your own choices as good parents.

lfd270ben
12-20-2008, 08:52 PM
I work in the ER and the general rule is if it didn't go all the way through the lip they dont stitch it I am actually at work right now and a RN and doctor looked at the pic and said use some listerine and it will be healed in 2 days

Romer
12-20-2008, 09:40 PM
I work in the ER and the general rule is if it didn't go all the way through the lip they dont stitch it I am actually at work right now and a RN and doctor looked at the pic and said use some listerine and it will be healed in 2 days

Listerine, hadn't heard of that one, but makese sense to kill the germs.

Get well soon Gavin, only 11 months till the next Rising Sun Election. We need you man:thumb:

nakman
12-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Here is a link to the video on Youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AlrFOBmdVI

that was actually pretty good Tom :beer:

this has been fun, we could start a RS, MD thread, Robbie thanks for the tip (http://www.amazon.com/Homeopathic-Treatment-Children-Pediatric-Constitutional/dp/1556430906) I'm going to order that. Ben thanks for all the second opinions, if we still lived 10 minutes from there we may have come in after all. Was nice we were both home for a change and could decide what to do together.

Yeah Romer I told him he better man up quick if he expects to make Commander next year.. . :lmao:

art hog
12-20-2008, 11:04 PM
When I fell off a very high cliff I just about bite my tough off. of all the injuries the tough healed the quickest.

powderpig
12-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Here is the other name of a book "Your Vital Child" by Mark and Angela Stengler, this book has herbs, naturopathy, homeopathy and other modalaties for keeping your kids healthy.
This is Robin's goto book for our kids. Happy holiday's

RockRunner
12-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Robbie, what is the name of your herbalist? I see Kurt Breitenstein, he works out of the Wash park group. Besides herbs I see him for acupuncture one or twice a month now. The Acupuncture really helps my neck and knees. That with a massage every two weeks allows me to move around with a relatively low pain level.

Hulk
12-22-2008, 12:11 AM
I would recommend you at least take him to the ER to be evaluated by a doctor.

When Maddie was one, she fell off a chair and split open her chin. A similar thing had happened to some friends with their one-year-old a week earlier, and they had given us this advice: Don't go to the ER when you can easily go to your pediatrician.

We took Maddie to our pediatrician. An hour later, she had 14 stitches in her chin. The difference between the ER and our pediatrician:

Much faster
Less waiting
Less money
Less permanent scarring (they know how to deal with kids and stitches and scarring)

Although I tend to agree with Tom on most issues as well. Karie and I tend to react to problems with kids the way people might have done in the 60s and 70s. People think we're easy going. We just think many of today's parents are over-protective.

nakman
12-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Quick follow up... the gash turned into a very bright white strip of skin, we did mouth wash every day all week. By Saturday night, just a few hours afterward he didn't even flinch, ate dinner and everything. Pictures below were one day after the injury on Sunday.

nakman
12-24-2008, 09:33 PM
the white area got smaller and smaller every day this week. I'm amazed at how fast this healed, but I guess that's the mouth for ya, or kids, or both.. anyway this picture from tonight, about an hour ago.

nakman
12-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Then our 3yo photographer took over the camera, I think he's got a real eye, sort of a young Annie Liebowitz.. :D

thanks again everyone for your good thoughts!

RockRunner
12-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Glad to see he healed up well. I bet with all the gifts he got he can't even remember his lip.

lfd270ben
12-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Kids can heal pretty much anything in a couple of days