PDA

View Full Version : Ham radio deal need some help

RockRunner
12-21-2008, 02:43 PM
there are two radios that I am interested in. Here are the links to both

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/966227379.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/959560995.html

I like the mobility of the second one as I can use it in the tow rig and then on the trail. Any advice is appreciated.

I have a very clean TM-732A VHF/UHF Transceiver loaded with accessories and options. It has the out of band extended Tx/Rx mod which includes full 800Mhz Rx coverage. It comes with mobile bracket, optional remote kit for remoting both control head and microphone, full 6ft. power cord, not just the radio stub, a Diamond Diplexer, and the optional TSU-7 Tone Decoder.
Documentation includes both the Operators Manual and the complete Kenwood Service Manual.
The radio works perfectly on both bands, has cross band repeat function, dual receive, puts out rated power, and has been used little as an in-house monitor for the last 7 years.
Contact with any questions, local pickup only.

chtucker
12-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Handhelds are very fragile... especially that alinco. I would rather buy a separate mounting bracket, power cable and antenna than buy a handheld, but that is just me.

Or go and buy two brand new two meter mobiles for the cost of the 732... Be it Icom/yaesu or kenwood, pick your poison.

RockRunner
12-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the info, we'll keep on looking. Is the Kenwood to expensive?

chtucker
12-21-2008, 05:25 PM
5) Manufacturer: KENWOOD
Item : TM-271A
Description : 2M 60W RUGGED MOBILE
$165.95
Coupon: $20.00
YOUR HRO PRICE $145.95

6) Manufacturer: YAESU
Item : FT-1802M
Description : 2M 50W MOBILE TCVR
$134.95
Coupon: $5.00
YOUR HRO PRICE $129.95

7) Manufacturer: YAESU
Item : FT-2800M
Description : 2M 65W TCVR
$161.95
Coupon: $50.00
YOUR HRO PRICE $111.95

5) Manufacturer: YAESU
Item : FT-7800R
Description : 2M/440 DUAL BAND FM MOBILE
$246.95
Coupon: $30.00
YOUR HRO PRICE $216.95

2) Manufacturer: ICOM
Item : IC-208H
Description : 2M/440 MOBILE 55W VHF/50 UHF W WIDE RX + 500 MEMS
$329.95
Coupon: $40.00
YOUR HRO PRICE $289.95

In my opinion... The Yaesu dual band or single band radios are a much better deal new from HRO.

If you really need the cross band repeat/dual watch in band you might need to spend more. 99% of what I would do is on 2meters. You could buy 2 TWO! of the Yaesu 2m rigs with antennas WITH a warranty for less than the Kenwood rig on craigslist.

Just my opinion...

RockRunner
12-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Thanks, I started looking around some more and saw that it was priced to high. I told the guy that he was priced to high and he just laughed and hung up.

timmbuck2
12-21-2008, 08:10 PM
so which would be a good handheld to toss in my backpack when camping, hiking, or in my 40 or 55 or 8o when offroading? just want a cheaper handheld unit for now until I decide what I need to mount in each truck. thanks! (sorry for the hijack...)

Romer
12-21-2008, 08:19 PM
I bought the kids the yaesu 60RT. Dual band and Robbie was using it during the Rubicon and seemed to have great performance. Modified the program I had for my VX-7r.

That would be great for Hiking. You can hit pretty far with an HT, but you will get much better performance with a Mobile unit in a vehicle.

RockRunner
12-21-2008, 08:32 PM
No worries Tim, I was looking for something similar. I need one for two vehicles so hand held works better for me right now. Once I feel comfortable leaving one in the 4Runner I will get a hard mount unit. Plus $$ is does come into play when you need more than one unit.

nakman
12-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Tom my advice is get yourself a solid mobile unit, either that 1802 or 2800 above would be the ticket, then in a month or so buy another one for the other truck, or buy the HT. But first rig should be a mobile rig. If you want added security, take a look at the 7800, you can totally hide & secure the main unit and just mount the face plate, take it with you if you're worried about security.

two things: one, HT's are incredibly complex to learn. If you get one as your first radio it's liable to just annoy you and turn you off of the hobby altogether. You'll find that the simplest of functions are not on a knob, or their own button, but locked inside a sub menu somewhere.... :rant:

Second, the performance of an HT is just flat out poor compared to a mobile rig at half its price. You will be the "scratchy one" on runs, while the mobile rigs are crystal clear. You'll be the first to be out of range if the group splits up. You'll also be more susceptible to hills, valleys, battery life, even position of the radio... it's just like that little radio you had years ago you had to hold just right to get the game on KOA. You can make them work, add on external antennas, chargers, etc. and of course take them hiking with you. At some point, every Ham operator should have an HT, they're sweet.

But if you want to be glad you got into this, and get that first very awesome "Wow!" on your next trail run, do a clean install of a solid mobile unit & antenna. :beer:

RockRunner
12-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the info Tim, I'm not sold on anything yet. My biggest thing is the two vehicle thing. Maybe I'll get a set up that I can mount in two vehicles so when towing I can use it in there and then move it to the 4Runner.

nakman
12-22-2008, 07:32 AM
An HT for the tow truck and a mobile rig in the 4Runner sounds perfect to me. Then when you wheel you can put that HT on your hip while out spotting, so you never miss a beat of the conversation.. :) But you don't want to be fumbling around chasing an HT under the seat or something when you're supposed to be wheeling- the wheeling rig should be as hands off and easy to use as possible.

Also remember, as you've already experienced on Craigslist, is the depreciation of these things is almost nonexistent. Should you change your mind later, it probably won't be too hard to get most of your $$ back selling something. Like if you buy a 1802 then later decide you'd rather have a dual band radio (like 8800), you could easily sell that 1802 to someone else here. ;)

Hulk
12-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Completely agree with Nakman. I have a mobile 7800 unit in my 80 which is easy to use and works great. And I bought a really nice HT on which I still haven't figured out anything beyond the basics, and it's weak compared to the 7800.

The 2800 that Nakman suggest is a killer radio if you don't need the faceplate mounted remotely.

RockRunner
12-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks guys, I am going to check out Camelo CB maybe. Seems like online prices are better than most local shops. I still have time before Moab but I don't want to wait till the last minute.

Shark Bait
12-23-2008, 10:35 PM
I bought a FT-2800 for my FJ40, with a mag mount antenna off Craigslist for $100. Good deal. The FT-2800 is pretty durable which I figured was a must in the 40.

RockRunner
12-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Come on Chris I bet your 40 rides like a Cadillac.