PDA

View Full Version : Ride Quality of 4" SUA lift

subzali
12-22-2008, 11:25 AM
for those of you with 4" SUA lifts, what is the ride quality like, given that I will be running something along the lines of a 33x12.50 Goodyear MT/R or Trxus M/T or similar.

I'm wanting enough clearance to run chains if I have to without rubbing the body with the chains if the truck flexes, and I'm not sure a 2 1/2" lift is going to get me there.

For simplicity and ease of installation I'm thinking of going with the SUA lift rather than doing a springover.

nakman
12-22-2008, 11:38 AM
I didn't like it, thought it was too stiff. I know, I know, it's a 40 it's not coil sprung. But I still thought it was too stiff. Bop around in Ige's or Martin's some day is my recommendation.

wesintl
12-22-2008, 11:44 AM
33's and a 4" are going to be kinda small imho. I never liked the way a 4" sua rode. esp compared to a soa.

Romer
12-22-2008, 11:57 AM
I didn't like it, thought it was too stiff. I know, I know, it's a 40 it's not coil sprung. But I still thought it was too stiff. Bop around in Ige's or Martin's some day is my recommendation.

On the same 40, I liked it and enjoyed the way it handles on and off road. BDS springs maybe would have given a better ride than the Skyjackers.

MDH33
12-22-2008, 11:58 AM
I have mine set up with shims front and rear to correct the DS angles and castor. It tracks down the road and steers straight without wandering. The ride tends to be on the stiff side but not terrible. Softer tires would help in my case. The LTB's are rocks. I also wish I had a little more articulation. You're welcome to take it for a drive anytime. :thumb:

(mine are Downey springs)

treerootCO
12-22-2008, 12:01 PM
There are two really nice riding 40/45s out there. Gary's Fj45 rides really nice and I feel my 40 has a very smooth ride. Adding the 37s was the biggest improvement in ride quality but the other junk helped as well. PhaseII is a three link up front and a four link in the rear so don't waste your money buying leaf springs...engineer yourself a coil/coilover/quarter elliptical style suspension now.

subzali
12-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Maybe I could go 2 1/2" lift plus body lift to clear the chains with 33s?

MDH33
12-22-2008, 12:05 PM

or trim some sheet metal. Mike's fenders look :cool:

Uncle Ben
12-22-2008, 12:06 PM

Just buy an 80 get some real tires and forget the chains! Go where 40's and Runners only dream and read about! :eek: :lmao::lmao::lmao: :bolt:

subzali
12-22-2008, 12:42 PM
post #9 of this thread (http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/253618-lets-see-your-lifts.html) shows a 4" lift w/ 33s...

PabloCruise
12-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Matt,

Did you ever drive my 40?

4" SUA on 33x12.50 BFG MT's

4 degree shims in front end, spring flip on rear pack for wheelbase.

Springs are from Downey, I found out after I bought that Mark Algazy (sp?) of Mark's Off Road stocks the same springs! Doetsch Tech shocks.

I thought the ride was pretty decent, the :Princess: thought it was too bouncy.

Now that I have a Pig on stock springs, the 40 feels a little less refined...

Romer
12-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Post 2 of this thread shows the before and after from my old 40 along with a link to a discussion of lifts showing the installation of a 2.5" lift I found helpful at the time

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/59485-rotw-romer-1977-fj40.html

There are other pictures in that thread. Note that my rear wheel wells had been trimmed and I had the bushwaker trim added

subzali
12-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Matt,

Did you ever drive my 40?

4" SUA on 33x12.50 BFG MT's

4 degree shims in front end, spring flip on rear pack for wheelbase.

Springs are from Downey, I found out after I bought that Mark Algazy (sp?) of Mark's Off Road stocks the same springs! Doetsch Tech shocks.

I thought the ride was pretty decent, the :Princess: thought it was too bouncy.

Now that I have a Pig on stock springs, the 40 feels a little less refined...

Just briefly on the street to check out your power steering...

I'm experiencing right now how much a stiff suspension is horrible both on the road and off, because I have an AAL in my rear leaf packs, and even with my tire chains and two sandbags in the back it's the roughest ride I've ever had in the 40... :o

I'm going to pull out the AAL at some point before next summer and just run the stock springs until I go after a lift kit. If I don't I will miss my "squishy" suspension feel too much I fear. Those stock springs are nice for that :p:

MDH33
12-22-2008, 03:12 PM
I drove Nakman's 40 when it had the stock suspension back on it and I was amazed at how cushy a 40 could feel.

subzali
12-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Just buy an 80 get some real tires and forget the chains! Go where 40's and Runners only dream and read about! :eek: :lmao::lmao::lmao: :bolt:

This particular snow run (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=2336&highlight=yankee) would have gone nowhere without chains - I slid back about 50 feet with all tires spinning forward right at the bottom of the hill - Luckily Nick was far enough back I stopped before I slid into him. The snow turned to icy packed snot as soon as you rolled over it - I'm not sure anything less than a LOT wider tire at a pressure low enough for beadlocks would have been better than the chain action..

nuclearlemon
12-22-2008, 04:41 PM
post #9 of this thread (http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/253618-lets-see-your-lifts.html) shows a 4" lift w/ 33s...

So does post 26;) i really liked my skyjackers.

subzali
12-22-2008, 05:06 PM
whatever Uncle Ben. The point is that tires weren't the right tool for the job that day, they needed a little help.

Uncle Ben
12-22-2008, 05:08 PM
whatever Uncle Ben. The point is that tires weren't the right tool for the job that day, they needed a little help.

I know....ice is ice and it requires some bite but never the less ya gotta chill out bud....life's to short to stress about having fun!

subzali
12-22-2008, 05:26 PM
so you're saying that calling me a weenie and making monday morning quarterback comments about my judgment out on the trail is fun?

I can take the comment about buying an 80 and throwing on a 6" lift and 35" Boggers and going...where? I've seen how quickly 80s become beached whales in deep snow due to their weight.

Of course my truck is like that too, but that's because I don't have all the money in the world to throw all the goodies at my truck that I would like. Hence the question where I was limiting myself to a simple, basic, 2 1/2" or 4" SUA lift so I could sneak a little larger tire in there without opening up a huge can of worms that would likely result after going SOA. At least I recognize that I'm not good enough to do my own cut-and-turn, doesn't that at least make you happy and feel a little safer on the road? :rolleyes:

So can we get back to the original question? I know there's more 40 guys out there who either have or who have ridden in a 4" SUA truck and could comment on the ride.

Romer
12-22-2008, 05:57 PM
I remember reading on Mud when I was searching that the Hell for Stout (I think) that CCOT sells are really stiff. I think BDS are the best and most expensive. Skyjacker was the compromise I selected, but there shocks suck and my ride improved a lot when I went to Bilstien shocks.

Thinking if people are commenting on their ride they should also mention which springs

So 4" Sky Jacker Lift - Nakari said too stiff

4" Skyjacker Lift - Romer said ride was great for a 40, but improved when swapping in the Bilstiens. (Tim was use to his 80:D)

MDH33
12-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Pablocruise and I both said we're running 4" Downey springs.

I think your choices for 4" would be:

Downey
HFS by CCOT
BDS
Alcan
Hell Creek

I think you can run OME 2.5 inch springs and extended shackles too, but I'm running 4" springs and extended shackles to fit the 34's without cutting anything.

Personally I think you'll get used to the slightly stiffer ride and the benfit of the extra clearance is worth it. A little extra seat cushioning never hurts either. ;)

treerootCO
12-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Shackle angle is the most important for ride quality. Mine rides like a Caddy with the shackles pointed forward. The downside is that you will destroy your springs at a rate of four per year. I went through the Northern 4" springs, I went through the 4" Downey springs, and I went through a combination of both to get a ride height that was about equal to stock. All four corners are sitting on the bump stops now. The go to guy used to be Alcan but I have heard from a few that that may not be true. If I were you, I would buy a set from Alcan as that used to be the best spring ever made and they are made right here in Colorado. Ask for military wrap, 4"+ springs with a touch more length that stock. You will settle, trust me, so the difference between 2 and 4 isn't even a debate. Run the piss out of them and swap them in a year for something else. If you do this to any leaf spring, it will break down.

nuclearlemon
12-22-2008, 06:54 PM
So 4" Sky Jacker Lift - Nakari said too stiff

4" Skyjacker Lift - Romer said ride was great for a 40, but improved when swapping in the Bilstiens. (Tim was use to his 80:D)

don't forget me...i loved the skyjackers, but i'll second that there shocks suck

Uncle Ben
12-22-2008, 07:22 PM
don't forget me...i loved the skyjackers, but i'll second that there shocks suck

I ran Skyjackers for a few years and they had a decent ride. When one of the rears collapsed and Skyjackers showed me their true colors about not standing behind their product I tossed them in the scrap bin. I had BDS as a replacement and they were a similar ride and never sagged for me. Everyone I know at that time that had any dealings with BDS said the "100% satisfaction guarantee no-questions-asked" policy was true and practiced. If I bought over the counter springs again they would be BDS. I went with custom Alcans after the BDS and at first they were super tall and stiff but they quickly settled to the height and ride they were supposed to be. I ran those up until this last morph. They will soon be on the trail again on another friends 40. I agree with Root....you will waste your money if you do a 2.5" lift as when it settles to stock height you'll end up going 4" so save yourself 1 step and go to 4" first!

Hulk
12-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Matt,

I have a 4" SUA lift with 33" tires on the Hulk. I purchased the lift and tires new in 2001 and have been running them ever since. The springs are BDS. I am running Rancho 9000 shocks.

For me, it made a huge difference in improving ride quality over stock. The new springs and tires really soaked up some of the teeth-jarring ride that my 40 had with the 20-year-old springs and shocks.

If I was going to do it again, I'd probably take a good hard look at OME kits. I'd also probably call up Jeff Zepp and get the details on his lift. A few years ago, he installed a lift on his 40 that was simply a cheap and easy modification to the spring pack, with the result that he was able to run 33" tires and got a very gentle ride out of the deal.

With my 4" of lift, I could probably run 35" tires fairly easily. The only things I'd need to do would be to swap the diff gears (which I already have sitting on a shelf in my garage) and cut the rear wheel wells.

In case you were wondering, IMO, 4" of lift is not too much lift for 33" tires -- it looks appropriate.

farnhamstj
12-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Matt, Don't get 2" springs. you will immediatly want bigger ones.

corsair23
12-28-2008, 01:52 AM
Matt,

Anytime you'd like to come by and take the 40 for a spin let me know....

AFAIK, I have a 4" Rancho suspension. The 40 had 35s on it when it arrived from CA and now it has 33s. Personally I think the ride is vastly better than my '76 was but I'm not sure how good of a sample my 40 will be for you...As best as I can tell from the records the springs are 17 years old and the shocks (RS9000s) are nearly 9 years old.

Bit of trivia for you...33x12.5 BFG MTs ran $119.99 ea and 35x12.5 BFG MTs ran $131.99 ea back in 1994 :)

Rezarf
01-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Matt- I am running the TPI Smokey Moutain Kit. Seems to flex okay, ride is... well, a 40. Without the top on it rides like an empty dumptruck, but with the top on or a good bit of weight it smooths out nicely(insert picture of trailer here ;)). I have been in a few SOA 40's and they were all a little too tippy for me, but most had V8's as well and they liked to use the skinny pedal. I kinda like the ride of the 4" lift.

Personally, if I were going to run 33's (plan for 3-5 years ahead, so go ahead and get the 35's) I would look at OME springs... the new name slips me now, Alcan?

I would trim out back with fender flares, and tube fender front (metal tech). That is just me, but I know the OME stuff rides like a dream, for a 40 :D

If you went with a 10.5" tire width you'd be all set... 12.5" shouldn't be a problem with fenders cut and tubes up front. Heck you could add a small body lift of an inch or so and still have a great ride and get the clearance you need.

Remember, sidewall is your friend in the suspension department :D