PDA

View Full Version : Vintage 4x4 publication-"Off Road" 08/72

Ron Helmuth
12-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Guys and gals I have come across a stash of old 4 x 4 magazines that I picked up as a fundraiser opportunity.

I have in front of me right now the August 1972 issue of "Off Road Vehicles and Adventure" and of interest perhaps to many of you is an article regarding "Overdrive for the Toyota Land Cruiser". This is the issue with a very slim James Garner posing with Stroppe equipped Fords for his return to Off Road racing. (star of Maverick and later Rockford Files-search your memory banks....)

If you would care to see the article-send me your real email address and I will compose it to the first one of you and copy it to the rest.

So far in other issues I have seen photos of a number of vintage Cruisers (mostly 40s but maybe a 45 and a 55 also for example).

If you are interested in having the actual magazines-let me know-but at this time they are for sale to various advertisers of that era that still exist today; i.e. Dick Cepek,Warn, Heckthorne (spelling?).

The first portion of sale proceeds will go back to previous owner of the mags who was convinced they had no value, additional proceeds to "Mary" a YotaTech member recently injured.

There will be additional threads on this topic in the following weeks and months and if this is not the best place for this -please let me know.

nuclearlemon
12-22-2008, 05:45 PM
could it be scanned to the i-net?

Ron Helmuth
12-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Not sure... what is i-net?

I am not sure how to do attachments to the forums with anything other than Photobucket and I find that cumbersome and time consuming.

nuclearlemon
12-23-2008, 12:22 PM
i-net = internet;)

MDH33
12-23-2008, 12:39 PM
if you can get the hard copies to me (Jan meeting perhaps?) I can scan/host/post them.

Ron Helmuth
12-23-2008, 12:50 PM
thanks for the offer Martin but I'm not a member officially any longer.

I kind of thought this was the crowd that would appreciate historical data on the early FJs, and I am happy to share them.

I have posted also on T4R.org and will get to Yota Tech shortly. Trying to give you guys first dibs on them....

Is there not a way to just attach an Adobe file to a forum?

Is that what you are meaning Ige by posting to the Internet?Posting where ?

I am sorry- I just am not conversant with much of this stuff, hence the email request.

theboomboom
12-23-2008, 01:19 PM
hey ron, i think what martin was proposing was scanning them into adobe file then hosting them on the i-net so people on the forum could download them. if this doesn't fly with you, i'd still be interested in reading about the 40s and broncos of the era. martin's plan would ultimately save you the carpel tunnel :thumb:

Hulk
12-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Love to see them! Yes, you can upload Adobe PDFs directly to the forum. Thanks for sharing!

If you prefer to simply email the PDF, as you originally requested, send it to mattfarr -at- gmail -d0t- com. If you would like, I can then take care of uploading it to the RS web site for others to see.

thanks for the offer Martin but I'm not a member officially any longer.

Member or not, you're always welcome at meetings, trail runs, events, holiday parties, whatever. Always.

nakman
12-23-2008, 02:33 PM
:confused:

:lmao:

Ron Helmuth
12-24-2008, 11:11 AM
thanks for all the input-Matt will email the first one to you and as I come across other ones of interest to Yota crowd I will scan and send those .

Thanks for talking my language to get this to everyone that would like a view easier.

I just saw a picture of a Mahindra built Jeep with Hindu language VIN plate that seemed to strongly resemble a 40.

Also saw a 55 I think it is -like a station wagon but equipped for fire or rescue operations. I am having a lot of fun looking these over and sharing them with my
"knuckle dragging" domestic driver friends.

I prefer to share electronically for now-until I can gauge what advertisers will contribute to the cause for Mary. The youngest of these mags is 30 years old and some do literally fall apart when thumbed through.