PDA

View Full Version : ddr vs ddr2

nuclearlemon
12-25-2008, 07:37 PM
computer puked today (no power) so im off to microcenter tomorrow to get a new powersource in hopes of that fixing it. another issue that i have is my ancient computers memory...256mb.
checking out the sales flier shows ddr and ddr2...what's the diff? i'm betting i need ddr.

theboomboom
12-25-2008, 08:21 PM
more likely than not, if you're only running 256mb its regular 'ol ddr. around 2006 the industry started making the shift to ddr2, and nowadays if you're picking up a new rig it probably has 2gb+ of DDR3. pick up a stick or two of the DDR-400 512mb stuff and you'll be up and running faster than ever. i like corsair and mushkin, but kingston, ocz, and a lot of other brands work just as well.

Romer
12-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Depending on how old your computer is, it could be PC100 or PC133. Need to know for sure before you buy something.

Look at this add http://www.microcenter.com/specials/catalogs/after_christmas.html

By the time you get memory and a powersupply, you could get a new tower with an operating system. I could help you select one if you let me know when your going to be there.

RockRunner
12-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Ige, I have all kinds of memory and even some desktops that will be upgrades compared to your old system. I can set you up with something for as cheap as possible. I just got MTrucker a nice set up and the laptop for the club.

Give me a call, 3o3-829- o7o3

nuclearlemon
12-26-2008, 12:47 PM
power suply was only $18, so i couldn't get a new tower for anywhere near that, but that may not be the issue...still doesn.t turn on .

the last few weeks, i would come home abnd the computer would be off ( i reboot it every week, but rarely turn it off)' i figurrd power went out, but started noticing that i never had to fix clocks. yesterday morning, i check ed a few things on the net, went outside to make a call, came in 20 mins later and comp was off and won't power up.

any clues? do i need to take it out back and shoot it?

Uncle Ben
12-26-2008, 01:41 PM
power suply was only $18, so i couldn't get a new tower for anywhere near that, but that may not be the issue...still doesn.t turn on .

the last few weeks, i would come home abnd the computer would be off ( i reboot it every week, but rarely turn it off)' i figurrd power went out, but started noticing that i never had to fix clocks. yesterday morning, i check ed a few things on the net, went outside to make a call, came in 20 mins later and comp was off and won't power up.

any clues? do i need to take it out back and shoot it?

Unplug the power cord for a minute and plug it back in....bet it boots now when turned on! Your back up battery might be fried. I had that happen before.

RockRunner
12-26-2008, 02:27 PM
When you boot up do you see light turn on that has a little HDD symbol on it? There are lots of reasons why your system dies, mother board, CPU overheating heat a computers worst enemy. If you do have it plugged into a back up power supply and it is bad plug you system directly into the wall.

Check those items and get back to us, it may just be time for a "new" system.

Romer
12-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Does it beep at all when you turn it on? No beeps is likely a processor or motherboard problem.

theboomboom
12-26-2008, 03:26 PM
I'd also reccomend doing the battery on the mobo. If it is anything more than that, it is definitely time to take 'er out back.

nuclearlemon
12-26-2008, 04:47 PM
no beeps because there's no power whatsoever. i tchecked the powerstrip and that's not the problem. neither is the power cord. no clue what is merant by the battery on the ''mobo''

Romer
12-26-2008, 04:49 PM
There is a small silver disk that provides power to the BIOS for things like maintaining the time

If you want to bring it over, I will help you troubleshoot it

Colorado80
12-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Check the caps on the motherboard, If you see any of them having a black residue on top, then it's your motherboard. Usually with no beeps and a new powersupply that is what is leading me to believe.

Q

nuclearlemon
12-26-2008, 07:49 PM
ran into mike at camelot and he said he'd come by after work tonight and see what he could figure out

nuclearlemon
12-27-2008, 12:04 AM
f'n computers

nuclearlemon
12-27-2008, 12:07 AM
ok, sonce my f'n computers post came thru, i'll try this again (i've tried posting results three times)

appears bios got hot as the sticker was melted. after messing wih it, mike did get it to power up, but never boot upon

nuclearlemon
12-27-2008, 12:10 AM
also, after much ado, he did get my notebook online, but only while hooked up to lan, not with the router i got for it today,\ but by the tinme i came in to post this, it shows good connection at lan, but internet gateway shows disabled and won't connect, zo i'm back to the phone, which sucks and keeps giving me some bs dns errors

nuclearlemon
12-27-2008, 12:11 AM
so tom, what so you have for pcs?

Romer
12-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Hopefully Tom can set you up, but if not Microcented has a few towers for about $200

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?sortby=pricelow&web_group=pc_desktops

nuclearlemon
12-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Hopefully Tom can set you up, but if not Microcented has a few towers for about $200

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?sortby=pricelow&web_group=pc_desktops

all of em have vista.:( thanks tho.

Romer
12-27-2008, 12:12 PM
You know you can format the hardrive and load XP from your disk. My company buys vista computers and then overwrites them.

Since they make those computers right there at Microcenter, they would likely do it for you with their own vista.

RockRunner
12-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Answered your PM

nuclearlemon
12-29-2008, 05:34 PM
here's what happened to my old computer :rolleyes: