PDA

View Full Version : Small Welding Job Needed

Shark Bait
12-27-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm going to install the 4x4 Labs 6-stud arms and need a little block welded to the stock large pattern knuckles. Mobile would be nice, I guess, although the install pictures show the welding being done off the axle housing. I suppose welding on a greased up steering knuckle would boil the grease out, eh?

I'm shooting for Tuesday. I'll be happy to pay and offer refreshments. :beer:

RockRunner
12-28-2008, 01:41 AM
I am offering my welder, not my services :o Since I haven't welded anything in a while I don't trust mt skills for such an important job. You are more than welcome to stop by and use my tools or if you have 220 borrow the welder.

LMK what you come up with.

Beater
12-28-2008, 09:50 AM
are the knuckles off? I can't remember if the knuckles are cast or not. If cast, you would be better served to have them off the vehicle, as you need to pre-heat and slow cool cast as well as use high nickel rod for best results.

and yes, any petroleum with cause porosity in the weld area if in the puddle area

Air Randy
12-28-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm not a professional welder but if it's regular steel on steel I can probably handle it plus I'm just down the road from you. If it is cast, then I suggest you have a pro with the right equipment handle the job especially for a steering item.

Shark Bait
12-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Found this on IH8MUD. It would be cool if we could try. I just hope I'm ready. The broken rear axle is kicking my butt at the moment. :o At least the weather is nice for working in the garage. I'll be out there Monday & Tuesday. Feel free to stop by.

Toyota arms, knuckles, etc are cast STEEL and relatively weldable versus other cast products....regardless, you better know what you are doing.

From Pirate:

Yes you can weld to a knuckle it is cast steel not cast iron.
There is a rule to go by, If you can cut it with a torch you can weld it. You can use 7018 or wire feed preheat does help.

Beater
12-29-2008, 08:03 AM
so is the axle/knuckle under the truck?

Shark Bait
12-29-2008, 10:42 AM
No. I'll be putting the newer knuckles on.

Beater
12-29-2008, 02:53 PM
I came down with a virus, so I don't know if I can do it. I have to take my kid to bball camp until mid-day tomorrow.

I am out of 7018 rod, and I didn't think to get any while at general air getting gas today. I did however pick up another 450 paintstick.

I just don't think I can commit chris.. where does the weld go? i looked at the 4x4 site, and I didn't see any weld on the example they showed? If it's as small as it looks, and if you can pick up some 7018, we should be able to make it happen, I just can't commit seeing as how crappy I feel.

also, make sure the knuckles have been cleaned with acetone

Uncle Ben
12-29-2008, 03:08 PM
I came down with a virus, so I don't know if I can do it. I have to take my kid to bball camp until mid-day tomorrow.

I am out of 7018 rod, and I didn't think to get any while at general air getting gas today. I did however pick up another 450 paintstick.

I just don't think I can commit chris.. where does the weld go? i looked at the 4x4 site, and I didn't see any weld on the example they showed? If it's as small as it looks, and if you can pick up some 7018, we should be able to make it happen, I just can't commit seeing as how crappy I feel.

also, make sure the knuckles have been cleaned with acetone

http://4x4labs.com/galleries/6boltknuckles/6boltknuckles.html

I want with Trailmarts 6 stud knuckles Chris.....reasonable in price and as much as I dislike Geiger I have to give kudos to the quality in these castings!

Shark Bait
12-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks guys. Managed to finally get the twisted stub out of the rear. Got to put the PP chromo rears in and button things up first. I doubt I'll be ready for welding Tuesday after all. I'll let you know. :)

Air Randy
12-29-2008, 04:56 PM
I have plenty of 7018 AC rod if someone needs some to get the job done.

Uncle Ben
12-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks guys. Managed to finally get the twisted stub out of the rear. Got to put the PP chromo rears in and button things up first. I doubt I'll be ready for welding Tuesday after all. I'll let you know. :)

Great news! Did you have to pull the carrier or ????

Shark Bait
12-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Great news! Did you have to pull the carrier or ????

No. :o I had pushed the stub all the way through in to the center of the carrier. :o Luckily I was able to push it back out. :D