PDA

View Full Version : Skiing

waggoner5
12-28-2008, 04:35 PM
I am ready to do some skiing. My back is in good enough shape to go out and make some turns according to the doc. The problem is that I have not skied this side of he mountains in years. Where do I go? Anyone want to play tour guide?

wesintl
12-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Skiing is good everywhere right now. Depends on what you like. WP, Keystone, Breck, basin, copper, vail, BC. anywhere is good. If you want something with less denver crowds then aspen, steamboat and CB (even telluride) are worth the drive for a couple day trip.

timmbuck2
12-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Copper has some nice long cruiser runs to get you back on your feet...is where I usually go

farnhamstj
12-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Plug for Vail. Mostly ez-moderate runs. There's steep too, but you kind of have to work for it. Do you have a beacon,shovel,probe? Life is a little crazy for me lately but when are you thinking? I may be able to spend a few hours showing you around. Not really your side of the mountain but the snow is better up here.

waggoner5
12-28-2008, 06:20 PM
I am not sure on time yet. I am updating my equipment this week and should maybe be ready to go by the end of the week.

Jenny Cruiser
12-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Copper has some nice long cruiser runs to get you back on your feet...is where I usually go

Copper was great two weeks ago. It should be awesome now.:)

Maddmatt
12-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Are you going for one day, a 3 day weekend or a week?

If for a week - Telluride. Telluride is why they invented skiing.

3 day weekend? Steamboat. The other reason skiing was invented.

One day - To get your ski legs back - Loveland - often overlooked, but an easy drive, traditionally strong snow pack, relatively inexpensive.

Got the legs back and want to ski great snow, long runs, etc for one or two days? Copper Mountain or Winter Park.

Hold off on A-Basin until Spring. Great snow and "real" Colorado skiing, but it doesn't really shine until other areas start slowing down.

Not worth the effort, drive, cost and attitude? Vail and any of the Aspen mountains. If you feel you must ski Vail, go straight to Beaver Creek and stay there.

Skied Winter Park/Mary Jane on Friday. 50+" base (which is enough to make the skiing great there), lots of powder (they were claiming 6" but I had lots of knee plus turns in easy to access trees). You can park for free right at the lift (Mary Jane side). Bring a dog, a hacky sack and your lungs.... Long runs here and the best (and biggest) bumps in the world.

New "secret" at Winter Park - if you don't want to park at Mary Jane (and I don't know why that would be, but it happens) you can park at the Winter Park side for free at the Vintage hotel (1st right after you turn left at the light) and ride the new, free, stand-up gondola over to the base. I'm a cheap skate, so paying for parking just rubs me the wrong way. I'm also old, so long walks in ski boots are tough.

nakman
12-29-2008, 01:09 PM
There's a gondola at Winter Park? :eek: Man am I out of touch... but I guess I also just realized there isn't a bubble chair at Copper Mountain anymore. :o

And IMO Gary, once you get your legs back you should go hit up Farnham for the local's tour of Vail.. ;)

waggoner5
12-29-2008, 02:18 PM
thats the info I was looking for thanks.
G

Uncle Ben
12-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Are you going for one day, a 3 day weekend or a week?

If for a week - Telluride. Telluride is why they invented skiing.

3 day weekend? Steamboat. The other reason skiing was invented.

One day - To get your ski legs back - Loveland - often overlooked, but an easy drive, traditionally strong snow pack, relatively inexpensive.

Got the legs back and want to ski great snow, long runs, etc for one or two days? Copper Mountain or Winter Park.

Hold off on A-Basin until Spring. Great snow and "real" Colorado skiing, but it doesn't really shine until other areas start slowing down.

Not worth the effort, drive, cost and attitude? Vail and any of the Aspen mountains. If you feel you must ski Vail, go straight to Beaver Creek and stay there.

Skied Winter Park/Mary Jane on Friday. 50+" base (which is enough to make the skiing great there), lots of powder (they were claiming 6" but I had lots of knee plus turns in easy to access trees). You can park for free right at the lift (Mary Jane side). Bring a dog, a hacky sack and your lungs.... Long runs here and the best (and biggest) bumps in the world.

New "secret" at Winter Park - if you don't want to park at Mary Jane (and I don't know why that would be, but it happens) you can park at the Winter Park side for free at the Vintage hotel (1st right after you turn left at the light) and ride the new, free, stand-up gondola over to the base. I'm a cheap skate, so paying for parking just rubs me the wrong way. I'm also old, so long walks in ski boots are tough.

I have to go with WP/MJ too....I really like that resort and If you get caught in a bad storm day and the pass closes you can still get home via Kremling then E-tunnel vrs Vail where you will be stuck with full lodging choices and even if the pass reopens it will be very late if not the next day till you get home! I always park in the employee parking area then it's a quick walk accross the West Portal and straight to the slope.

farnhamstj
12-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Invite is open to anyone. Yep, Beaver Creek is better than Vail. In fact Every ski area is better than Vail, if you snowboard....

sno bored
12-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Boarding at Vail isn't that bad. I just make sure I wax up before I go.

Azrael
12-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Boarding at Vail isn't that bad. I just make sure I wax up before I go.

And bring a skier to pull you along.

wesintl
12-30-2008, 10:47 AM
I had a slumit pass for years and finally switched over to WP/MJ the last couple years and I like it better. Even with going over berthod the commute seems easier and the snow is better.

This year i'm back to skiing summit though for a change.

sno bored
12-30-2008, 12:35 PM
And bring a skier to pull you along.
That would be like getting towed by a Heep :hill:

Uncle Ben
12-30-2008, 01:11 PM
That would be like getting towed by a Heep :hill:

:lmao: Thats exactly what I thought when I read that but somehow, unlike me, I didn't post it..... :lmao::lmao::thumb:

Hulk
01-06-2009, 12:27 AM
Copper: lots of blue runs that won't kill you but offer tons of fun. Snow is usually great.

Breck: Tons of terrain, plus the town is fun after you're off the slopes. Try Peak 7 for some nice long blue runs. The new Gondola is very nice.

Vail: I love Blue Sky Basin. If I had my druthers, I'd be there now.

Loveland: just too cold for me. Plus, the food sucks. I'd rather pay bit more and go to a better resort.

A-Basin: tons o' fun in the spring. A true old school experience, in the best sense. Much of the skiing is above tree line, so it's like skiing on the moon.

Beaver Creek: good skiing here too, but I'd rather go to Vail if I had to choose only one.

Steamboat: The entire mountain is great, and the town is the best. A great, great weekend getaway.

Hulk
01-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Really cool, Dave!

I'd probably have a different opinion of Loveland if I went there without my kids. But at this stage of my life, I need to go skiing where there is lots of green and easy blue runs for kids, and where it's not too cold and windy. That usually ends up being Copper, with Breck coming in at a distant second place.

Hulk
01-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Last year, we tried Loveland for our two kids after Copper raised some of their ski school prices. The kids didn't learn as much and didn't have as much fun -- which meant Karie and I had a shorter day on the slopes too, so we didn't have as much fun. It was just too cold and windy for Charlie, who was only 4 at the time. Maddie did better; she was 6.

At the end of the 07-08 season, we went back to Copper for a single day, and we were reminded why we liked it so much. Their ski school is really well organized. They have great kid food. They have plenty of indoor "warm-up" space for the kids to play when they get cold/tired, and they recognize when to bring the kids inside to warm up, so they never get miserable and start to ask for Mom and Day. And the best part: there is just a massive amount of true beginner terrain: really gentle bunny hills to learn on over at the Kokomo and Lumberjack lifts. It's huge. I wish I had learned there.

From an actual parent perspective, I highly recommend Copper for teaching your kids how to ski. The experience will make them want to go back.

We're doing 3 consecutive Saturday lessons for the kids in February.

Westword can suck it. :rolleyes:

Uncle Ben
01-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Loveland is a kick in the pants! I dislike the primitive lifts and the dismount bumps but the snow is usually stellar. I dislike Copper as the parking sucks and I detest having to go to the bottom on every run and wait in a line to get scanned to go back up. Of all the ski areas in CO I've been to, Copper is my least favorite and that includes Eldoras Ice runs.

timmbuck2
01-06-2009, 01:53 PM
thanks for the tips on ski school at copper, Matt. Copper is my personal fave, and I want to get Ty up there this winter.

I think I will stay away from Vail!! :eek:
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0106091vail1.html

MDH33
01-06-2009, 01:55 PM
The lift lines at Vail are always brutal. Almost makes you want to take your pants off and jump.

Edit: Timm beat me to it. ;)

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art4/0106091vail1.jpg

Uncle Ben
01-06-2009, 02:03 PM
The lift lines at Vail are always brutal. Almost makes you want to take your pants off and jump.

Edit: Timm beat me to it. ;)

Nice choice of words! :lmao::lmao::lmao:
That is brutal! Luckily it happened up in the bowl and not at the bottom for all to see! :eek: :o

MDH33
01-06-2009, 02:05 PM
commando under the ski pants. :lmao:

wesintl
01-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Vail and copper Rock. Please keep going there :D

Caribou Sandstorm
01-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Not that anyone is asking but I am a Janer (mary jane). I coached and instructed snowbaording for 8 years up there... Now Tele, What can I say, I want to be cool like Robbie A.

Maybe we should do a RS day on the hill and park our 4x4s together?? BBQ at the parking lot...Can do that at Mary Jane free parking or A-Basin

farnhamstj
01-06-2009, 07:33 PM
How about a date at the beach. MAYBE friday april 24th? Some might stop by A-basin on the way to CM09?
Nice picture. What, the guy can't get on a lift?
"the seat wasn't folded down" yeah..whatever...

I saw a guys shirt the other day that read, "Just because I'll sleep with you, Doesn't mean I'll ski with you." It was probably that guy.

Bruce Miller
01-06-2009, 09:24 PM
is this. Skiing Mauna Kea (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYpnL3ilwNw).

After teaching ski-school for several years at Winter Park before Nathaniel was born, and skiing being a part of my life for many years, I have come to realize that I don't much care for the cold. Here is the perfect compromise. Skiing at 13,800' and 40 weather in the morning, drinking a cool barley pop at sea level and 80 weather in the afternoon.