PDA

View Full Version : Seat swap... ATTN fabricators

ElliottB
12-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Hey guys,

This is my first post, but it looks like a great website here. I recently acquired an 81 FJ60 and am in the process of doing a pretty thorough restoration. Currently I am redoing the interior but have gotten hung up on a seat issue.

I picked up a set of Camry seats for relatively cheap and I want them to work in the 60. Because of the crazy locations of the Camry seat mounts I am unable to come up with a way to attach them to anything substantial on the Cruiser. Also, while the seats are mocked up my head is touching the headliner. Should I cut off the old mounts and just bolt these suckers to the floor? I have no intention on ever returning to stock seats.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Current seat mounting locations.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a349/Puma297/CruiserInt/_MG_7080.jpg

And the track from the new seats (about 2.75" off all the way around... not to mention they mount on different planes)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a349/Puma297/CruiserInt/_MG_7081.jpg

Beater
12-30-2008, 07:56 AM
Got cardboard?

do the math of what you need to reduce for height, and form mounts from cardboard until you get the desired result. Then bend 10 gauge strap to mimic the cardboard. cut out old, weld in new. Gusset where needed.

put eclipse turbo seats in my old chevy pickup that way, worked well.

Air Randy
12-31-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm no expert on this type of thing but heres my 2 cents:

1-If you are restoring it, are you sure you want to hack it up in order to install Camry seats or are you better off re-covering the stock seats?

2-If #1 is not a concern, then I would look underneath to make sure there is nothing in the way if you cut off the existing seats mounts and decide to drill holes and bolt the new units direct to the floor.

3-If the new mounts bolt direct to the floor, are the seats going to have enough clearance to slide up and back and will they be the right ride height for your driving position?

4-If you do bolt to the floor, you probably want to make some backing plates out of 1/8" strap or something like that. It doesn't do any good to have a seat belt on in a collision of your seats rip free from the floor because they weren't mountes strong enough.

Uncle Ben
12-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Personally, I would not go through the effort and expense to restore a 60 series vehicle to original spec. You can buy a very clean one so much cheaper than it would cost to "restore" it! They are not exactly rare either. Now if it's an upgrade then Camry seats would be a huge advantage over the stock made for tiny Japanese butt seats!

Red_Chili
12-31-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm with Beater. Cut out the old, weld in the new.

Hmmm. Kinda appropriate for New Years, ain't it?

ElliottB
01-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the advice guys!

I think I am just going to with the Iron Pig Offroad seats. They are nice quality and bolt right in.

BTW I am restoring this rig as a gift to my father. I know they aren't rare, but they have a lot of personality and are overall just great rigs.

Uncle Ben
01-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the advice guys!

I think I am just going to with the Iron Pig Offroad seats. They are nice quality and bolt right in.

BTW I am restoring this rig as a gift to my father. I know they aren't rare, but they have a lot of personality and are overall just great rigs.

That is a fact! As Ige points out....6x series is the last Cruisers to have a true soul!