PDA

View Full Version : Wind!

Jacket
12-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Wow! This chinook is one of the worst that I can remember. Our house shook all night, there's Christmas lights everywhere outside, and all the neighborhood trash cans were somewhere down the street. Not a good day for the garbage men....

How was it up in the foothills? On the Southside?

MDH33
12-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Pretty strong up here too. I swear I felt the house move more than once. Groaned all night, but no damage.

Nay
12-30-2008, 08:58 AM
We've had gusts to near 80 mph in Monument so the weather service says. My house sits down in the trees and is protected a bit by small hills, and it's still howling, so I imagine it is gale force out on the interstate.

nakman
12-30-2008, 09:02 AM
watch out there's an aluminum step ladder in the right lane on C-470 near Bandemiere. :eek:

subzali
12-30-2008, 09:05 AM
There was nothing down in town last night (Arapahoe and I-25)...a couple nights ago it was pretty windy though.

Azrael
12-30-2008, 09:46 AM
I woke up to find this today:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k254/Azrael_Denver/Landscaping/PC300971.jpg

:rant::rant:

The neighbors back there are renovating and are hardly there. Haven't seen them in two months. I'll probably put up a temp fence and deal with it in spring.

powderpig
12-30-2008, 10:02 AM
We heard the winds all night and I am trying to work out side currently , lots of stuff flying around, mostly dirt(bigger than dust). Our house is sturdy and 1/2(downstairs) is banked into the hill and a good amount of big ponderosa's sheltering the house. no movement or groans, this house is sturdy. My open air shop is a bit windy though. According to the weather service, the winds should lay down before 11 am.

Maddmatt
12-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah, Louisville is still getting pounded. No damage here other than the usual - I have two gutter extensions in the backyard that are removeable by design, so I can mow. I see that one is under the swings, I'm sure the other will turn up. And my barbque cover got ripped off.

I don't remember winds this strong for this long - its getting a bit old.
-Matt

Uncle Ben
12-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Long night! That was some of the nasties winds we have had here in a while! Luckily no leaves on the trees so minimal damage from toppeled trees and large branches. 1 very large Cottonwood was uprooted in the Boulder property but the only damage was a unlicensed utility trailer with an ATV in it! Thats kinda a gift of natural justice as I have been on that guy to license it and also move it to his yard vrs parking it where he has. :rolleyes: Guess he'll get it moved now! :lmao::lmao: Here in L'ville damage seems to be minimum although we lost a section of fence between the front yard and the side yard and some flashing from the upper west roof. Noisy sleeping fer sho!

treerootCO
12-30-2008, 02:23 PM
We lost the corner of the roof at work. The tower is still standing though.

nuclearlemon
12-30-2008, 04:00 PM
had to leave early for work, so couldn't see anything since it was dark out, but i heard the dog bowls blowing around the driveway from 4:18 am on.

RockRunner
12-30-2008, 11:50 PM
About thirty shingles that I could find and the neighbors trash strewn over 4 yards. The house groaned all night and the lights we have in the vaulted ceilings had their glass rattled by the pressure in the attic changing. Took a while to figure that one out a while.

Have to go on the roof tomorrow and take some pictures for the insurance company. They want to see how bad the damage is to see if it is worth a claim or not.

Mendocino
12-31-2008, 08:27 AM
I've got a weather station at the house (Broomfield) and at about 4:30 am it was blowing 48 mph. Based on the wind history for the night that was about the peak.

RockRunner
12-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Went on the roof, 8x8, 7x5 and about 4 sections of 3x3. This is really going to be a pain to fix, I hate working on the roof in the winter.

nakman
01-11-2009, 09:52 PM
enough already. :rant: It was kind of neat when it was different, but now it's just annoying, being blowing strong since about 4:00 this afternoon. :( I'm over it.

Bikeman
01-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Holy crap the wind was bad on Yankee hill today with blowing snow.