PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 40/55 disc front axles + birfs

PabloCruise
12-31-2008, 11:49 AM
I have a drum brake front end that I was going to pull the third from and toss.

Then I realized I could fit my 60 knuckles on this front while it is off the Pig.

If I had fine spline birfs, I could build the whole front end off the Pig and then plug and play the new front axle.

Does anyone have spare long and short side front axles w/ birfs that will accomodate discs?

TIA,

nuclearlemon
12-31-2008, 11:57 AM
use the 60 series birf and hubs, or don't you ahve those?

Shark Bait
12-31-2008, 01:30 PM
TJ. I've got the axle shafts and birfs id you'd like those. I also happen to have an extra set of large pattern knuckles with mini arms. LMK.

PabloCruise
12-31-2008, 02:13 PM
use the 60 series birf and hubs, or don't you ahve those?

Dang! You are right! I have the 60 birfs, will those mate up to '74 axle shafts?

If that is the case, just order up the new snap ring?

nuclearlemon
12-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Dang! You are right! I have the 60 birfs, will those mate up to '74 axle shafts?

If that is the case, just order up the new snap ring?

yep. that way you get the better birfs (bigger bell) and the better hubs (aisan).:thumb:

btw, you only have to swap the long side shaft. the short shaft is the same as your pig. what you gonna do with the long shaft?;)

PabloCruise
01-01-2009, 09:42 AM
yep. that way you get the better birfs (bigger bell) and the better hubs (aisan).:thumb:

btw, you only have to swap the long side shaft. the short shaft is the same as your pig. what you gonna do with the long shaft?;)

I don't have any 60 series axles, I just got from the birfs/knuckles out :(

Then yesterday morning I realized I could take my drum brake front end (which has been consuming space in the garage) and convert it to 60 knuckles off the Pig and then just swap it over.

I like this idea because it will minimize down-time for the Pig. The only thing I haven't decided on is when to swap the ARB that is currently in the front of the Pig to the spare front end... I guess ideally when the spare front is apart.

Still thinking on that timing...

What are people's favorite was of separating birfs? I have heard about dropping the birf and axle into a pipe?

nuclearlemon
01-01-2009, 06:57 PM
you won't save all that much time swapping entire axles because you will now have to deal with getting the spring center pins lined up which can be a pain and you have to disconnect/bleed brake system (oh, you're going drum to disc aren't you? in that case, you have to bleed anyway). one long day can do both ends and you won't have to swap your arb pumpkin (which would really negate any time savings since you have to have the front end disassembled to get the pumpkins in and out.

to save time, have the 60 parts all cleaned up and ready to go. cleaning is the most time consuming part.

PabloCruise
01-01-2009, 09:25 PM
You rock Ige...

Will the 60 birfs mount on '74 inner axles?

Uncle Ben
01-01-2009, 10:45 PM
You rock Ige...

Not Ige but yes....27 spline birfs will fit 27 spline inners.

nuclearlemon
01-02-2009, 08:00 AM
You rock Ige...

you will have to lightly clearance the axles. with a grinder, very lightly grind away at the top and bottom inside areas where the trunnion bearing would sit.

PabloCruise
01-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks Ige, Thanks Kev...

Last tech question (since we are in the FS section!)

What do folks do for tie rod when hanging 60 knuckles on 40/55 housing?

Matt and I were discussing whether late 40 TRE's had the same thread -23mm - as 60 TRE's and then you could source a late 40 tie rod: http://forum.ih8mud.com/4013602-post92.html
I know about the inserts you can use to run 40 TRE's in 60 steering arms. I guess I am not crazy about that idea...

Uncle Ben
01-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks Ige, Thanks Kev...

Last tech question (since we are in the FS section!)

What do folks do for tie rod when hanging 60 knuckles on 40/55 housing?

Matt and I were discussing whether late 40 TRE's had the same thread -23mm - as 60 TRE's and then you could source a late 40 tie rod: http://forum.ih8mud.com/4013602-post92.html
I know about the inserts you can use to run 40 TRE's in 60 steering arms. I guess I am not crazy about that idea...

Good question. The large pattern 60 knuckles are a huge upgrade in strength to the smaller pattern 40 knuckles. The tie rod ends are also bigger so while on the slippery slope :rolleyes: it is a good time to have a cromo tie rod made up. You can order a kit or just the tie rod from Marlin and others. If you find someone with the tap you can also cut down the stock 60 TR on the right hand thread side.

subzali
01-02-2009, 09:53 AM
When Ricardo did his swap, he bought bushings to fit in the larger 60 knuckles so he could use his 40 tie rod. 'Tis indeed a slippery slope though...

Uncle Ben
01-02-2009, 10:25 AM
When Ricardo did his swap, he bought bushings to fit in the larger 60 knuckles so he could use his 40 tie rod. 'Tis indeed a slippery slope though...

hmmmmm...insert eh? I haven't used them but I doubt I would as steering and brakes mods fall into the category of how much money is your life worth? While my life might not be worth that much the other people on the road around me might be of higher value! I am not cutting down Richardos inserts as I am not familiar with them!

Shark Bait
01-02-2009, 12:02 PM
4x4 Labs

http://4x4labs.com/galleries/steeringarms/steeringarms.html

PabloCruise
01-02-2009, 07:01 PM
So are the later 40 series ('79 on) TRE's bigger than earlier ('78 and earlier)?

Has anyone bought tie rods from Front Range Off Road?

http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfoscomm/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=116&osCsid=faa04f924e90ae26a12d7d637d1c0167

RicardoJM
01-02-2009, 07:03 PM
I may be confusing things a bit, but I don't recall putting bushing on my tie rod ends. Then again, maybe I did and just don't know it:o. I kept all of my early FJ40 steering rods and tie rod ends.

The steering arm hole of the 60 series steering arm is larger in diameter than what it was in the early 40 steering arm. In post #36, of this thread (http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/137225-minitruck-front-axle-disc-brake-conversion-dummies-faq.html) there are three options listed to deal with the issue. I went with option #2, it sounds like TJS is leaning towards option 1.

I agree with UB on having confidence in steering and braking. In my research I did not find any reports of the bushing approach being an issue. There also was not a clear consensus of the various approaches that clearly stood out as being the best - properly done each of the options address the issue.

PabloCruise
01-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Ricardo,

Yes I am opting towards option one in Post 36 (http://forum.ih8mud.com/1850594-post36.html)

I think using 60 steering arms and TRE's would most appropriate for another wagon - the 55.

Option 2 calls for tapered spacers to fit 40 series TRE's into 60 arms...

PabloCruise
01-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Ricardo,

I realize I left an important detail out of my reply, I also want to do 60 TRE's b/c my relay rod is using 60 TRE's. So it would be ideal to have a 60 PS TRE to accomodate the relay rod end sporting the 60 TRE taper.

You can ream the PS 40 series TRE to accept the 60 series piece, but I guess it all boils down to are you comfortable weakening a piece of your steering...

Uncle Ben
01-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Ricardo,

I realize I left an important detail out of my reply, I also want to do 60 TRE's b/c my relay rod is using 60 TRE's. So it would be ideal to have a 60 PS TRE to accomodate the relay rod end sporting the 60 TRE taper.

You can ream the PS 40 series TRE to accept the 60 series piece, but I guess it all boils down to are you comfortable weakening a piece of your steering...

Actually your not weakening anything but rather adding more surface area for the tapered pin!

PabloCruise
01-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Actually your not weakening anything but rather adding more surface area for the tapered pin!

So this is truly tech now (should we move it?), but I thought reaming the piece would reduce cross-sectional area, thus decreasing capability of the piece?

Good to see you last night! :cheers:

PabloCruise
05-07-2009, 05:22 PM

Where do you get a tapered reamer for 60 seres TRE?

Air Randy
05-08-2009, 07:37 AM
TJ. I've got the axle shafts and birfs id you'd like those. I also happen to have an extra set of large pattern knuckles with mini arms. LMK.

Do you still have this stuff? I ended up giving away my trail spares to those in need at Cruise Moab.

PabloCruise
05-08-2009, 10:53 PM
I did not end up getting these from Chris

PabloCruise
05-08-2009, 11:30 PM

So I found tapered reamers -

http://stores.ebay.com/XKUT

how do you tell what is FJ40 taper vs FJ60 taper???