PDA

View Full Version : R&p

Red_Chili
01-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Well, I did it. I need to gear the DD to 4.88s and already have a front IFS diff laying in a bin in my garage. Tired of slipping the clutch and finding 5th superfluous.

So shopping Randy's R&P, I saw they had a decent price on gears. Oops, those aren't recommended for 'quiet' trucks... :confused: :eek::eek:. Ah, there are the quality ones, they are.... HOLY $MOKE$.

Marlin is better pricing. About ready to drop the hammer, and out of curiosity I visited Trail-Gear. I am not fond of the shenanigans Chris has pulled in the past (IMHO, YMMV, etc) but that was then. Geez... $100 less. That is starting to matter. A lot.

I was quite suspicious of the quality, but Google revealed no bad experiences, only good ones. Huh.

So I pulled the trigger. I guess I will walk the skinny plank/long branch/insert metaphor for lonely risk here.

"Hold my beer and watch this."

subzali
01-05-2009, 02:42 PM
did you have 5.29 in there before? Or?

Red_Chili
01-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Stock 4.11s pulling 33s with a rebuilt 22RE.

Just for clarity, TG was not $100 less than Marlin, nearly $100 less than Randy's.

Red_Chili
01-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Yep, that's me, honorless.

From what I read, TG has been behaving rather well lately and doing a good job. so...

rover67
01-05-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm still rocking the 3.73's with the 35's in my truck which I DD. Sucks more for the wheeling than the daily driving actually.

that's no fun.

Bill, Trail Gear? Disappointed. Have you no dignity, no honor? For all that talk of supporting the guys who got our six. :-)

No, he still had 4.10 stock gears with 33" tires = yikes!

BTW, yes, I'm on Marlin's Christmas card list...

Uncle Ben
01-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Well, I did it. I need to gear the DD to 4.88s and already have a front IFS diff laying in a bin in my garage. Tired of slipping the clutch and finding 5th superfluous.

So shopping Randy's R&P, I saw they had a decent price on gears. Oops, those aren't recommended for 'quiet' trucks... :confused: :eek::eek:. Ah, there are the quality ones, they are.... HOLY $MOKE$.

Marlin is better pricing. About ready to drop the hammer, and out of curiosity I visited Trail-Gear. I am not fond of the shenanigans Chris has pulled in the past (IMHO, YMMV, etc) but that was then. Geez... $100 less. That is starting to matter. A lot.

I was quite suspicious of the quality, but Google revealed no bad experiences, only good ones. Huh.

So I pulled the trigger. I guess I will walk the skinny plank/long branch/insert metaphor for lonely risk here.

"Hold my beer and watch this."

Truly despicable! I have hung my head in shame for several months after patronizing TrailMarts 6 stud knuckles and forged arms. At least I can justify in a way that neither Marlin or Bundrant sell the 6 shooters and Gieger is the only source. I believe Chris "the Reaper" sells Nitro gears as his bargain basement line which seem to be working out. BTW Your local vendor Mr. Slee also sells Nitro gears, JFYI. :rolleyes: :p:

rover67
01-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Chalk this up to mini truck uniqueness, 4.10 gears + 33" tires + 22R-E = frustration on a daily basis. Your 5th gear is along for the ride unless you are coasting down Floyd Hill and clutches must be considered annual maintenance items. OTOH, 4.10 gears are preferred for harder trail work with dual cases or even a single 4.70 case, the deeper gear sets tend to fail sooner and with drive train reduction you don't need low gears in the axles. But for a 22R truck driven on a daily basis, matching gearing to tires is a little more than luxury.

true, I was poking fun more than anything :)

Red_Chili
01-06-2009, 10:23 AM
OTOH, 4.10 gears are preferred for harder trail work with dual cases or even a single 4.70 case, the deeper gear sets tend to fail sooner ...
So goes conventional wisdom. But...

Zuk disagrees (though it does make intuitive sense that less tooth surface engaged = weaker). Zuk swears proper setup, especially carrier bearing preload, makes 5.71s stone reliable:
http://www.gearinstalls.com/410suck.htm

He has done a ton of setups for radical vehicles.

Carrier Bearing Preload a la Zuk (http://www.gearinstalls.com/refresh.htm)
I do know there was a rash of Toyota factory elockers that blew up ring gears for no obvious reason, and it makes sense that carrier bearing preload may have allowed overmuch flex when locked. Dunno. Not yet been brave enough to do 100 ft./lbs of tightening. Mebbe I will this go round.

Red_Chili
01-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Truly despicable! I have hung my head in shame for several months after patronizing TrailMarts 6 stud knuckles and forged arms. At least I can justify in a way that neither Marlin or Bundrant sell the 6 shooters and Gieger is the only source. I believe Chris "the Reaper" sells Nitro gears as his bargain basement line which seem to be working out.
First I've heard of Nitro being TG's TCs, somebody said they were Yukons (made in the same factory as Yukons... which doesn't quite make sense since Yukons are repackaged USGear, Precision, etc.). Where didja hear this?
BTW Your local vendor Mr. Slee also sells Nitro gears, JFYI. :rolleyes: :p:
Oops.:o

...6 shooters and Gieger is the only source.
Give Sky Mfg. about three months and see if that is still true... :lmao: That would be ironic...

Uncle Ben
01-06-2009, 01:30 PM
First I've heard of Nitro being TG's TCs, somebody said they were Yukons (made in the same factory as Yukons... which doesn't quite make sense since Yukons are repackaged USGear, Precision, etc.). Where didja hear this?

It appears I must have fallen into a rumor mill as I have scoured and cannot find anything to back up my claim. Must be another reversed engineered knock off that TrailMart is famous for I'm guessing. Then again it possibly could be the same manufacturer that Randy's (Yukon) and Reider (Precision) use....I haven't a clue.

Red_Chili
01-07-2009, 09:56 AM
They said it is made in the same facility as Yukon (but would not admit that it is the *same* as Yukon) so that seems likely. No copyrights are honored in China... something for BMW to think about, they are having engine manufactured there. Noticed the similarity between Chinese small engines and Honda small engines? But then, what is there in a ring gear to copyright? I dare say there is a range of dimensions that work and if outside those, it doesn't. The manufacturing is just best practices, hardly copyrightable.

Didn't know Precision and Yukon (do they even HAVE a Yukon-branded, rather than Yukon-reboxed, R&P?) were made in the same facility but that makes sense. I had heard the upper line Yukons were Precision, which was a vote of confidence. Perhaps that is what is meant by TrailCrawlers are Yukons - same mfg. facility if not the same brand.

But of course this is mere deduction without a lot of hard evidence. In any event, I will post up with my experiences as I set them up. If I can get my jig back from Squishy. :lmao:

Red_Chili
01-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Good point, I suppose you have to look at the overall situation and who's behind the keyboard generating those rumors. The conventional wisdom didn't stop me from doing 5.27 gears, in 4 cylinder housings even. But my desire isn't to wail on my truck. Really, it isn't. Plus Robbie set up the diffs...
Scoffing at conventional wisdom as is my habit, it didn't prevent me from doing 5.29s behind a 3.4 either, and my desire IS to wail on my truck if necessary. No issues (did I just jinx myself?). For that matter, the factory elockers that grenaded were of the more robust ratios, so there you have it.

Most of the guys with issues, from my impression, seem to run 40s+ in a wild and wooly style after having set up their own gears with the utmost in precision I am sure. :lmao: Same guys that blew up Bobby Long's birfs just for fun because he guaranteed them.

Red_Chili
01-07-2009, 10:49 AM
I am running Yukon front (Precision) and rear (US Gear) 5.29s. I would have to say that 5.29 is the most popular for minis, not less popular. It's the shiz for 35s+, though now I wish i had 4.88s with the 3.4 and R151, despite towing advantages, but that is another story. I can start in 2nd if desired, and not towing). No issues either, and when I transferred the rear from my '90 4Runner to the Chili, and Mike Caskey redid the backlash (High Country had set it up to Jeep specs apparently, :lmao:) the wear pattern was excellent.

sleeoffroad
01-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Every company has a house brand. Reider Racing is out of business, their house brand was Precision. Some sets are still available. Yukon is a house brand from Randy's. Nitro gear is the house brand sourced and distributed by http://www.justdifferentials.com/ - Carl is one of the main guys and also a Toyota guy. They are probably the most knowledgeable on Toyota gears and install kits currently. They are also the people that do specific gears like FJ fronts etc.

In the end there are only that many manufacturers that distributors and "gear houses" source from. They do private labeling to get an edge over the competition. All of them seem to sell a "Value" brand that is probably parts that are not 100% up to QC inspections, then they sell the "Premium" brands that are better (probably only passed QC with better specs). We have had good luck and bad with all of them. At some point Precision was the best for us, but we also had some issues. For some ratio's like 5.29's there are not much choices.

nuclearlemon
01-07-2009, 11:50 AM
. BTW Your local vendor Mr. Slee also sells Nitro gears, JFYI. :rolleyes: :p:

I never would've known either...they're not on his website.;)

sleeoffroad
01-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Well, we sell more stuff than what is on the site, but I am working on adding gears. The issues are when you get to install kits. :D

nuclearlemon
01-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Well, we sell more stuff than what is on the site, but I am working on adding gears. The issues are when you get to install kits. :D

you got pm...that's P M, not pms, not something else:D

PhatFJ
01-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Good point, I suppose you have to look at the overall situation and who's behind the keyboard generating those rumors. The conventional wisdom didn't stop me from doing 5.27 gears, in 4 cylinder housings even. But my desire isn't to wail on my truck. Really, it isn't. Plus Robbie set up the diffs...

Dave: I bought 4.88's and an ARB for my 07 Cruiser. I am not sure I want to tackle the installation myself and am thinking it may be wise to have someone with more experiance do the setup for me... How could I contact Robbie to see if he is willing to help me with this project?? Thanks for the help!! :)

Brian

PhatFJ
01-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Thanks Dave!! I'll give him a shout..

Red_Chili
01-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Well, I got the R&P last night, that was faster than Cabela's!
They certainly did not waste resources on packaging... :lmao:
BUT... it was not damaged in any way so who cares. Now to find my jig...

Red_Chili
01-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Finally got the diff put together last night. The TG TC gears set up quite nicely. Got a great pattern with a minimum of fuss.

Trying the Zuk carrier bearing preload this go-round. :eek::eek:

www.gearinstalls.com

Way different from the old school way.