PDA

View Full Version : what's leaking?

subzali
01-05-2009, 06:56 PM
So when I was in Moab this spring for 10 days of 4-wheeling (:D), including Cruise Moab, I developed a leak that would drip-drip-drip while out on the trails. Can't remember for sure, but I think it was near the clutch inspection cover.

Now that I'm home and the truck isn't rolling and bouncing for hours on end it doesn't leak a drop.

Does that sound like a rear main?

60wag
01-05-2009, 08:35 PM
I doubt its the rear main seal. I would expect it to be rather insensative to bouncing or vehicle angle. OTOH the valve cover or side cover may have a poor seal that is only noticeable when the truck spends some time tilted at a 30 deg angle.

MDH33
01-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Are you running heavier oil now? Since I started running Rotella, I don't leak a drop. :hill:

ttubb
01-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Are you running heavier oil now? Since I started running Rotella, I don't leak a drop. :hill:

Are you running the 15/40 dino or 5/40 syn? TT

treerootCO
01-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Front input seal to the transmission will leak at extreme angles.

subzali
01-18-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm running 10W-40 dino oil (no sense to me to run synthetic in this machine), it seems to be fine until I have a couple days in a row of the engine running for significant periods of time (like several hours), combined with a lot of bouncing, up and down angles, etc.

Someday I'm going to have to tear it down to replace the clutch/rear main/tranny output/and maybe a surprise transfer case upgrade, so I guess I'll just monitor it and see what happens.