PDA

View Full Version : 2009 HAM Radio Technician Class

RicardoJM
01-07-2009, 08:23 AM
This will be the third HAM Radio class for the members of Rising Sun. It is primarily geared toward getting the technicians license, focusing on passing the technician written exam, and good/safe operating practices. This class is open to anyone interested. Invitation to particpatce has been extended to our brethren up north (Horsetooth) and down south (Colorado Land Cruisers) via posting to their club forums.

We will cover several things that will just be to pass the test, like how the FCC regulates the Amateur Radio section, propogation, electrical theory, etc. We will spend most of our time working on good operating practice, familiarizing ourselves with the radios and antennas, callsigns, station safety and the like. As with years past the class content will only be limited on how far we want to push it.

Class will be held at Stevinson Toyota and is scheduled for Monday nights.
February 9, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
February 16, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
February 23, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
March 2, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm - License Test will be adminstered in this class
Please post up if you or someone you know is interested in joining us!

I'll update this post as people sign up and drop out, as of 01-07-09 participants include:

Mendocino 1
Mendocino 2
treeroot
MDH33
art hog 1
art hog 2
polarwasel
RockRunner
rover67 1
rover67 2
nuclearlemon
rock wagon, Jim Page
DaveInDenver, Kirsten
DaveInDenver, Liz
Kenon698
Lars
irbis
treerootCO - treerootCO
treerootCO - Killham
treerootCO - Larson
treerootCO - Simpson
InukShuk
Farnhamstj
Gmann

nuclearlemon
01-07-2009, 08:38 AM
i'd like to be in on it....maybe i'll learn how to use my radio;)

Mendocino
01-07-2009, 11:29 AM
i'd like to be in on it....maybe i'll learn how to use my radio;)

You seemed to do OK last Saturday...:)

art hog
01-07-2009, 12:41 PM
you have arthog down twice. Arthog is in for 2

Hulk
01-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Moderator - please make this thread sticky.

Done.

Question: When is the RS-moderated test date? March 2, or is that the last class?

Also, just to clarify for everyone, you can take the test at any open scheduled location, at a time and place that is most convenient to you. We will be scheduling a test to finish the class, but it is not mandatory to participate in the "RS test date" to get your license.

RicardoJM
01-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Please make sure that everyone who invites someone else gives those whom they invite ALL of the information for the class. Last time we had a participant invited from the state assn and she was not aware of the book so didn't have one. We want to make sure each participant has the same opportunity for success accross the board;).

The "ideal" book for the class is the current ARRL Technician book. It is "ideal" because it is the most current and goes with how the class is laid out, i.e. you will read it mostly front to back. The older versions (Now You're Talking) that can be had at the local library will work, just be aware that older versions presented the material in a different order. You will end up reading it more like a Factory Service Manual, i.e. jumping around to read the sections containing the information needed.

The decision to buy new or library borrow basically is the same as taking your rig to the shop for a fluid change or doing it yourself. Dollars spent make it more convinient, dollars saved make it a bit more work - just keepin mind it is 1 bannana level job:D We just don't want those that borrow from the library to be unaware and subsequently upset because there is a bit of effort needed to make sure they are reading the correct stuff to be prepared for each class.

RicardoJM
01-07-2009, 12:52 PM
you have arthog down twice. Arthog is in for 2

Yeah, it's the Ricardo way of counting, a line for each person. I suppose it would also work to use a single line with a count in parens. In either approach, we've got you down for 2.:thumb:

Groucho
01-07-2009, 01:08 PM
it is not mandatory to participate in the "RS test date" to get your license.

However, anyone not participating in the RS test date will be flogged at Cruise Moab. Just kidding!:lmao:

RicardoJM
01-07-2009, 01:30 PM
For those interested in assisting with instruction, Nathaniel will structure the class so that anyone who helps teach the class has a pretty good outline of what to cover for the topics folks volunteer for. That way we can stay on time and on track. With that said we need to figure out who wants to help with the class. We'd prefer that no more than two people help teach

For those interested in assisting with adminstering the test, please refer to this thread (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8752).

RicardoJM
01-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Question: When is the RS-moderated test date? March 2, or is that the last class?

Great questions, upon confering with Nathaniel - the 4th class on March 2 will be the Rising Sun test.

rock_wagon
01-07-2009, 03:15 PM
I have a friend that would like to attend: Jim Page

BTW - THANKS!! for putting this on again this year, this class was key to me getting my ticket last year!:thumb:

Bighead
01-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Is this open for non-RS members?

Hulk
01-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Yes, non-members are welcome.

chtucker
01-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Would you be willing to do other tests on test day? Like general and extra?

Groucho
01-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Due to the nature of the class and test being geared for the technician, and only 1 extra operator in the club so far, we do not have the capacity for other tests this go around.

There are other opportunities close to just about everyone (2 exams within at least 50 miles of Leadville) almost every week. These are going to be the best solutions for general and extra, but don't get us wrong, we want to encourage and help promote the hobby as much as we can. If possible to get enough club members licensed extra class operators, we will have the other two exams.

RockRunner
01-08-2009, 01:18 PM
You got me already on there so thanks, hopefully this year I can finish the class. Thanks again for doing this!

nakman
01-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Great questions, upon confering with Nathaniel - the 4th class on March 2 will be the Rising Sun test.

One more tiny point here... and the timing of this is excellent. If you think you'd like to have a 2 meter radio at Cruise Moab (a great idea, by the way) but think you can put this off until April or so, think again. It takes at least 2 weeks to get your call sign, and until you have that, you can't transmit. Some folks got theirs sooner, for some it took longer, you just don't know and have no control over it.

So don't put this off, passing a test at the start of March means you really should have a call sign by the end of March, and can use that time to buy a radio, get your radio installed, tested, move your antenna to a different location to get better performance, then test again, etc., all prior to heading to Moab towards the end of April. Much better position to be in, IMO, than going to a huge event with 100+ other Ham operators all yakking away and you can't talk to them because you don't have your call sign yet, or learning on the trail than putting your antenna on the bumper at the 11th hour maybe wasn't a great idea after all. :thumb:

Kenon698
01-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Bought the book today. Sign me up for the class. Thanks

RockRunner
01-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Is last years book still OK? Or do we need to buy a new one?

RicardoJM
01-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Is last years book still OK? Or do we need to buy a new one?

It will be just fine:thumb:

Inukshuk
01-10-2009, 12:04 PM
I searched but could not find answers in the forum so here are my Q's:
Cost of class?
Cost of book?
Where do you get the book?
How much time is needed to prepare for each class and the test?
What's it cost to get the license and keep it active?
What's a basic HAM setup cost and will anyone want to sell me one cheap ;-) For now I'm interested so I can keep up on the trail. Its kind of like the new PC I just got. I didn't really want to transition, but it made sense to do.

wesintl
01-10-2009, 01:17 PM
I searched but could not find answers in the forum so here are my Q's:
Cost of class? free
Cost of book? $20-25, free from the library
Where do you get the book? http://www.amazon.com/ARRL-Ham-Radio-License-Manual/dp/0872599639
How much time is needed to prepare for each class and the test? Little bit here and there depends on how much you want to know. Couple hours over the course of a couple days
What's it cost to get the license and keep it active? test fee is $15 and once passed is good for 10 years
What's a basic HAM setup cost and will anyone want to sell me one cheap basic set up in vechile can be had for ~$150 (yaesu 1802 and antenna, dual bands will run you more but that is a nice basic set up to run 2m.

Surf here: http://www.arrl.org/

This thread will help you alot:http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=5863

Lars
01-10-2009, 11:00 PM
If there is still room, add one more to the roster...

Inukshuk
01-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks Wes! I would hate to miss out on all the witty conversations during trail runs so sign me up!

MDH33
01-11-2009, 11:04 AM
If there is still room, add one more to the roster...

Welcome to the forum. Who are you?? :)

irbis
01-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Hi , I,d like to be on it too. thanks Oleg.

treerootCO
01-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Adding my name to the new thread....+3

Treeroot
Killham
Larson
Simpson

Lars
01-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Welcome to the forum. Who are you?? :)

I started attending rising sun meetings in november. i have a 06 4runner and am looking at joining rising sun.

Inukshuk
01-13-2009, 12:09 AM
Please add me too.

MDH33
01-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Ordered my manual and I'm studying the notes. :)

rover67
01-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Great, we just ordered the book! Allison and I are excited to finally be moving closer to having HAM radios in the backcountry..

farnhamstj
01-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Got room for some kid from up in the hills?

RicardoJM
01-21-2009, 11:07 PM
Got room for some kid from up in the hills?

Sure, I added you to the list.;)

farnhamstj
01-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Kool, ordered the book last night. Oh man, I'm becoming a HAM nerd......

Groucho
01-27-2009, 03:22 PM
The first class of the 3rd Rising Sun HAM radio technician class is two weeks away. Plenty of time to get ahead on the reading. Most times, I find that when people are prepared, the real questions come out that are worth spending time on and discussing. Those with the wrong book just make sure you are reading the correct topics, not the page numbers or titles. The previous editions of the manual have all the same material, just arranged differently.

Those who don't have a book will be severely behind, so if anyone has friends attending, please ensure that they know there is required reading to get the most out of the class and not slow the tempo down to a crawl because they didn't have the benefit of reading beforehand.

Please read:
Chapter I--Welcome to Amateur Radio
1.1 Getting your HAM Radio license
1.2 Amateur clubs and organizations
1.3 The reason for Amateur Radio
1.4 FCC and licensed radio services
1.5 Basic activities

Chapter V--Licensing Regulations
5.1 Licensing terms
5.2 Working with the FCC
5.3 Bands and privileges
5.4 International Rules
5.5 Call Signs

Chapter VI--Operating Regulations
6.1 Control Operators
6.2 Identification
6.3 Interference
6.4 Third Party Communications
6.5 Remote Operations
6.6 Prohibited Transmissions

This will all be covered the first night.

Questions? Cannot figure out the correct pages for your book? Ask.

rover67
01-27-2009, 09:18 PM
got the book tonight, will start reading!!

Lars
01-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Just got the book, will start reasing this evening.

Uncle Ben
01-28-2009, 06:09 PM
I would be very happy to lend another member a book if they need it!

Uncle Ben
01-28-2009, 09:23 PM
If this is not claimed, Kirsten needs the book. I never bought one. Let us know the beer cost for a borrowed book!

If ya gotta ask....... :rolleyes: ;)

wesintl
01-28-2009, 09:30 PM
I have and old one somone can borrow too.

Gmann
01-31-2009, 05:28 PM
I've got the book if you have another seat. Can you fit one more?Please...:)

RicardoJM
01-31-2009, 05:31 PM
I've got the book if you have another seat. Can you fit one more?Please...:)

Yes, there is definitely room. You have been added to the list. :D

Groucho
02-02-2009, 10:24 AM
The first class of the 3rd Rising Sun HAM radio technician class is now 1 week away. There is still plenty of time to get ahead on the reading.

Some things to focus on knowing:
Define the terms "Amateur Radio Operator" and "Amateur Radio Station".
Name the five fundamental purposes for the Amateur Radio Service
Know the basic types of communication activities that someone can participate in as an Amateur Radio Operator
Know that there are international, national and local Amateur Radio organizations and clubs that advocate for the Amateur Radio service

Know the different US licensing classes for the Amateur Radio Service
Explain what a VE is
Know where the Technician privileges are located on the bands, and what types of modes are permitted
Know what ITU means and the different ITU regions in the world (Know which one we are in)
Describe the structure for US callsigns, separated by class
Know when you may fisrt use your license
Know the normal license term
Know the grace period for renewals
Understand that compensation for operators is only permitted under very limited situations

Know what a control operator and control point are
Understand station identification requirements
Explain when and where you may operate an Amateur Radio Station
Know how to properly identify portable and mobile operations
Define 3rd party communication
Know the basics and differences between automatic and remote control
Know the rules and regulations for guest operators and control operators at another's station
Know that broadcasting, and using codes and cyphers areprohibited
Explain the limitations with regards to business communications
Know about music and transmitting

and, as always, you can go to Seldom Seen's Notes Here (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=5863) to get even more information.

Repeated here just in case someone needs it again...

Most times, I find that when people are prepared, the real questions come out that are worth spending time on and discussing. Those with the wrong book just make sure you are reading the correct topics, not the page numbers or titles. The previous editions of the manual have all the same material, just arranged differently.

Those who don't have a book will be severely behind, so if anyone has friends attending, please ensure that they know there is required reading to get the most out of the class and not slow the tempo down to a crawl because they didn't have the benefit of reading beforehand.

Please read:
Chapter I--Welcome to Amateur Radio
1.1 Getting your HAM Radio license
1.2 Amateur clubs and organizations
1.3 The reason for Amateur Radio
1.4 FCC and licensed radio services
1.5 Basic activities

Chapter V--Licensing Regulations
5.1 Licensing terms
5.2 Working with the FCC
5.3 Bands and privileges
5.4 International Rules
5.5 Call Signs

Chapter VI--Operating Regulations
6.1 Control Operators
6.2 Identification
6.3 Interference
6.4 Third Party Communications
6.5 Remote Operations
6.6 Prohibited Transmissions

This will all be covered the first night.

Questions? Cannot figure out the correct pages for your book? Ask.

Uncle Ben
02-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Yeah, yeah. Thanks, UB!

Dave,
I have failed you! I cannot find either my Technicians book nor my General book! I have really looked hard! Just wondering if I lent them out? I don't remember. I have all my other what not in my Ham files but the books seem to be hiding somewhere. I had both of them at the last class.....:confused:

Inukshuk
02-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Just got my book, but sheesh Nathaniel - that list makes this look like WORK!

Groucho
02-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Just got my book, but sheesh Nathaniel - that list makes this look like WORK!

Not work, FUN!

It really is easy. Just looks daunting on paper.

MDH33
02-05-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm already on my 2nd cover-to-cover read of the manual and have been speed scanning the SeldomSeen notes daily. http://elouai.com/images/yahoo/22.gif

Mendocino
02-06-2009, 06:46 AM
I'm already on my 2nd cover-to-cover read of the manual and have been speed scanning the SeldomSeen notes daily. http://elouai.com/images/yahoo/22.gif

Great! I suggest you go here (http://www.qrz.com/testing.html) and start taking the practice tests.:thumb:

Inukshuk
02-06-2009, 09:34 AM

Teachers Pet! :tongue2::tongue2::tongue2:
;)

Groucho
02-08-2009, 02:55 PM
So we are t-minus 30 hours and counting, and so far all of the info designed to make the class go smoothly has been somewhat boring in content.

Now I'll try and spice it up a bit.

We are going to do a quick round robin type of introductions, so be prepared for that tomorrow night. What I will ask that everyone respond with is:
Who you are?
If you are a Rising Sun Member?
Why are you taking this course?
What do you know about HAM radio?

Some other types of fun things we will do are learn a little bit about operating practices on the air, so that everyone knows a little about what to expect when you get on the air for the first few times and understand what is being said.

For the Technician license, you will probably spend most of your early operating on the 2M band using repeaters. A couple of good things to know are the meanings of the following:
Full-Quieting--This means that on FM transmissions where the incoming signal is sufficient to engage the receiver limiters - thus eliminating the noise due to amplitude fluctuations, or the incoming signal is clear and without any other static or interference.
Over--Operators say "over" when there is an expected response from the other station.
Clear--Amateur operators say clear instead of the common term "out" when no response is expected from the other station, and the operator is done transmitting for a period of time or is done being on the radio. "Clear on your final" indicates that the operator will listen for the other stations last transmission and then is done transmitting or being on the radio.
Rag-chewing--Rag chewing is just people having casual conversations on the air. They are not trying to get many contacts as is the case for contests where stations will only exchange callsigns, signal reports and maybe handles. Rag chewing is more casual, and can go on and on.

Usually on repeaters operators give their callsigns when they end their transmission, or as often as the repeater gives its callsign, whichever comes first. Because the repeater is required to give its call every ten minutes, if all of the operators rag-chewing on the repeater do a roundtable call ID then everyone is in compliance. You will hear them saying "WIIN, 'cause the repeater did". Just an informal way to remind people to give their call.

Passing the mike--This is a common error new operators will do when they are nervous. In face-2-face conversations, it is easy to know who was talking to who, and who is next. In radio conversations, the microphone needs to be "passed" to the next operator or some operators will be left out and some will talk forever. "Passing" the mike is as easy as saying "Ok, that's what I had to say, KNAK over to you". At first callsigns will be all jumbled numbers and letters in your head, but after a while you will pick up a few. It does not matter who you pass the mike to, as long as you indicate who you are passing it to. That way, if the next operator has nothing to say, they can pass it to someone else, instead of ten operators trying to talk all at once or dead silence 'cause no one knows who is next.

Now a little about HAM-speak for all the bands. Q-signals have their root in telegraphy when letters and numbers all cost money to send. Abbreviated versions of what needs to be said made it easier and cheaper to say the same thing. Some q-signals we all need to learn, as well as some abbreviated word are:

QSO-a contact made with another station. You'll hear "thanks for the QSO" (pronounced Q-SO)
QSL-confirmation. When asked as a question, it means "did you understand?", when said as a statement it means "I understand".
QRM-the M stands for Man-made interference such as another operator who is trying to talk at the same time you are
QRN-the N means Natural interference such as power line static, lightning, and poor band conditions
QSB-Fading signals. that means that you may hear them really good for a few seconds, then they fade out, and then they are back to good again
QRP-Decrease power, or more often the term for operating with very little (less than 100W) power
QRO-Increase power
QSY-change frequency. When said as a question, it means "do you want to change frequency?" and when stated it means "lets change frequency"
QRX-hang on for a minute, I'll be right back (Going to get a beer)

XYL-wife
yl-young lady
om-old man
sked-schedule
73-see you later
88-hugs and kisses
fine business-another way to acknowledge something
roger, roger-another way of acknowledging
Hi, Hi-radio laughter. Indicative of a joke, or laughing at something that was said. For example, if someone says "I bet he is faster than you doing that obstacle. Hi, Hi" they are saying it as a joke.

And a double-secret bonus item to know? Life's too short for QRP. If Bruce decides to join us for some real life stories, you will impress him with that.

Hope that can give us some fun things to incorporate into the class. '73

MDH33
02-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Teachers Pet! :tongue2::tongue2::tongue2:
;)

I just passed the first three QRZ practice tests. :cool:

Mendocino
02-08-2009, 05:57 PM

Congrats Martin. :thumb: Make sure you take different Technician's test each time so you rotate through the question pool. If you take the same test each time you will not go through all the questions.:)

Inukshuk
02-08-2009, 07:15 PM

:blah: :blah: :blah: ;)

RicardoJM
02-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Since we are kicking things off tonight, I'm going to go ahead an pull the "Sticky" status of this thread.