wesintl
02-27-2006, 07:38 PM
:lol:

Romer
02-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Where is Magoo and shawn?

Kipper
02-27-2006, 08:35 PM
would someone please do a quick write-up of the "known history of magoo"? It's been too long since I've heard the chronicle.

Shark Bait
02-27-2006, 08:57 PM
I bought McGoo from a guy in the mountains in 2000 or 2001. Conifer, I think. I went up there with my pale yellow '67 FJ40 with my drill and toolbox. Drilled holes in the bumper and mounted my towbar and yanked it out of the weeds. It was pretty squirrely driving it home. McGoo is a '73-'74, I can't remember exactly. It had a F engine and an old style intake manifold and the old single barrel carb. The PO had the return fuel line hooked up to a vacuum port or something because it leaked fuel into the engine while it was sitting. I cleaned it up a little. It was a mess. The wiring for the rear lights was like a birds nest. I don't remember how much I did with it before selling it to Chris Colangelo.

El Jefe
02-27-2006, 11:33 PM
I bought McGoo from Chris Hatfield. What a mess is right! One of the (many) PO's seemed to like yellow wire...a lot. I started to strip off the layers of: black crinkle paint, blue paint, another shade of blue paint, down to the original red. Funny thing is that the factory red paint was shiny, and well preserved under the other layers. One of the PO's painted McGoo on both sides, and "Goo me" on the front of the hood. The reasons why are lost to history. Needless to say, "Goo me" is not exactly what I wanted painted on my truck, in lime green paint no less, so that was scraped off. McGoo was built in July, 1973 according to the data tag. I was living in an apartment at the time, and burned through my 90 days of temp tags. I never did get it smogged, didn't have a garage, and the apartment folks weren't too impressed at my growing Cruiser collection, so I had to move McGoo to a storage unit. Shawn was looking for a Cruiser, and I was happy to sell McGoo to someone who was obviously looking for a challenge, er, a 40 to fix up. When I sold McGoo to Shawn, it ran and drove OK, but smoked like a bastard. Had a decent vacuum leak too. I think Shawn replaced the engine not long after I sold it to him. After I sold McGoo to Shawn, he sold it to Ige, then bought it back from Ige. Luckily, McGoo found a good home. He's a survivor. I tried to trace back the owner history, and only was able to figure out the two owners before Chris. I have a feeling that I was owner number seventeen or something like that. I remember that when I bought it, it had an emissions sticker from the mid 1990's, so I think it probably sat in the place where Chris found it for about six years. The tires were all mismatched, there was plenty of rot on the tub, but definitely a great starting point.

Here's a picture from when I sold McGoo to Shawn. I had started repainting the panels to make McGoo look a little better.

Chris

Shark Bait
02-28-2006, 12:03 AM
I'm not sure if these are Ige's pics or Chris's.

treerootCO
02-28-2006, 12:28 AM
I bought the truck from Ige and I made it about three miles home. The rear end was smoking when the back end locked up, the transmission went and the transfer case ate it as well. No oil in the pumpkin apparently seized the gears and wedged the pinion between the third member and ring gear.

Upgraded her to fine spline right there on the side of the road. Nutley was following me home so we parked it, ran home for some parts, and had it rolling about three hours later. Those chicks who were yelling at Zach and I, taking millions of pictures for sake of cruiser pulling cruiser made it more than worth while.

I drove her all summer and when my '78 was back together, I sold it back to Shawn. Each owner seems to add a little more each time. I added a fine spline third and axles, new parking brake assembly, transmission, transfer case, and distributor.

I'll let Ige tell the story of how this truck might be possessed and I think I have a bookmark at home of a ton of Magoo pics Chris had online.

nuclearlemon
02-28-2006, 08:45 AM
the shot of magoo looking like a blue cow with red top is my pic. shawn's intention was to make it blue camo, but he only got two colors partly down before he had to move and asked me to buy it from him.

worst thing i ever did :lmao: that thing hated me!! every time i went to start it to move it to the driveway to work on it, it wouldn't start. if i just decided to try it, it'd fire right up.

i put disc brakes on it, and rebuilt the center arm and replaced all tre's. good seats and seat covers, cleaned up the interior, nice straight bumper (that shawn cut off :mad: ), cleaned up the interior and put in floor mat in back, later model oem "roll bar", 60 series booster on it to replace the bad one (pulled that from a 60 in the junkyard in a wet snowstorm while i was home from work with a major fever and half dead...f'n magoo)

cleaned up some of the wiring that mr. yellow wire just hapharzardly stretched across the top of the motor, through the skidplate, wires that went no where and came from no where. painted it all blue (the blue cow thing was nasty) and put on new fenders. replaced tons of seals and gaskets, found out the ebrake didn't work cause there was no pads on teh shoes and the cable wasn't hooked up, service brakes didn't work cause the pads weren't attached to the shoes, put on a better set of doors, bunch of stupid little stuff like oem mirrors, replacement visor blades, door seals, hood shims, lift gate handle, etc.

then, finances were tight and i wanted the evil thing gone! said it must go now!!! that's when root bought it from me.

shawn went to root's to look at motors for romer's cruiser and saw magoo there...said 'that's my old cruiser'. mike told him he could buy it back in a couple months, so he did.

thing i love is how mike asked shawn what the toggle switch was on the dash that wasn't wired to anything. shawn told him it was the backup light and it was wired...worked fine. mike said he'd never gotten it to work, so shawn flips the switch and it lites up. i'm telling you...it's evil!!!

shawn's since put 4" lift, swampers, locker and better rattle can job on it. he's also got the stuff to do power steering, but hasn't gotten around to it.

here's a shot of magoo at moab in it's current state...think romer took the pic, but not sure.

also, a pic that seems to be a theme with magoo :hill: this was when we tightened up play in the rear end and put locker in.

and, of course, what's a treeroot owned cruiser without having played on the compost heap :hill:

74fj40
02-28-2006, 09:31 AM
wow, thats quite the story :eek:

Uncle Ben
02-28-2006, 09:35 AM
This is a great thread! I knew bits and pieces but hearing the story unfold with pictures is very entertaining! DON'T STOP NOW! :fing: http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/images/smilies/83/elefant.gif

wesintl
02-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Is this the camo job shawn was after??

Uncle Ben
02-28-2006, 09:40 AM
Is this the camo job shawn was after??

Thats a funny looking truck....what is it a Kia? :lmao:

Kipper
02-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Thats a funny looking truck....what is it a Kia? :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I love all of the empty axle housing pics.

Here's when McGoo's rear pinion popped in the desert and TJ and O'Neill fixed it:

...well maybe it wasn't McGoo, but I do think this truck said "goo me" on the hood. :hill:

PabloCruise
02-28-2006, 10:32 AM
That was quite the day!

We learned a bitchin spot to hide an ignition key on a 62!!!

Uncle Ben
02-28-2006, 10:44 AM
That was quite the day!

:lmao: :lmao: :rant: http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/images/smilies/moresmiles/blbl.gif

Kipper
02-28-2006, 04:46 PM
That was quite the day!

oh yeah. I forgot about that. :rant:

:rolleyes:

Will you be at the meeting tomorrow night? I'll be there. I have a final exam at 6, so assuming I ace that and get out quick, I'll only be a little late.

of course, i'm only coming for the :drink: :hill:

Magoo
03-02-2006, 08:07 PM
wow a post about my cruiser!!!! this is sweet.
this friggin thing has quite the story is in fact by no means evil! it only likes me cause i love it.
heres my story on the the 'goo.
bought it from chris and got it home.painted it the next day.all blue.then i proceeded to paint it like woody's cruiser because i had no clue who woody was,didnt even know he had the site mud at the time.
drove it around a little smoke and all,didnt care.2 days or so later i pulled the ultimate boner with an old six banger and revved it up real good and white smoke fillin up the street i lived on,i about cried.hell i think i even did.any way it sat as i thought about what to do with it.
next up was buy a toy p/u and use it as a daily driver and fix the goo.so i find 1 for a couple hundred bucks in crested butte.go out there and buy it.bout 2 miles down the road the oil light comes on,and i had just freshly put oil in it and made sure it was topped off.so brought it back ta dudes house and let it sit.
thats when i met proffit.called him and traded that truck for an awesome runnin 2f,4spd and 3spd case swap setup.then i had to go out there and pick it up.slammed it in and then moved to washington state,sold goo to ige.
as she mentioned she did a bunch of stuff to it, then she sold it to mike and he had hell with it and did some things to it.like was mentioned before i was being the good cruiserhead and was helping romer in his jam he was in and went to mikes house and saw goo sittin there,hood up.so i get up to it and look in there.nasty antifreeze everywhere.mike was obviously done with this cruiser cause before i even in intro'd myself i said hey this is MY cruiser,he said "ya want it back" i said hell ya.so that where we are today.
so far goo has been a complete budget cruiser and it seems to work well.the damn thing starts quicker than any cruiser ive been next to.touch the key and go.
specs
desmogged 77 2f
4spd/4spdcase
some old header that proffit gave me
some old exhaust off of a cruiser me n ige had to kill cause it was hurt bad
4" downeys,with rear 5000's that quigley gave me and front 9000's that im barrowing from ige
250 dollar 33'' swamps
aussie locker rear
mini power steering in progress
cb where radio should be
a tach and some cool shifter knobs:)
oh and plenty of rust out back.
to me owning a cruiser has to mean something to ya and BELIEVE ME this cruiser means everything to me.i cant quite explain the chemistry me n goo have but its there.
shawn

Uncle Ben
03-02-2006, 09:56 PM
I have really enjoyed this story! Thanks for sharing it! Please feel free to continue as I suspect there is more stories still waiting to be told! :fing: :hill:

wesintl
03-02-2006, 10:33 PM
It is a great story and I'm glad it's here for history and the many more tales it will tell :cool: :grinpimp:

Uncle Ben
03-02-2006, 11:13 PM
It is a great story and I'm glad it's here for history and the many more tales it will tell :cool: :grinpimp:

Just goes to show ya....."one mans treasure is another :Princess: http://emoticons4u.com/img/evil.gif " :lmao:

treerootCO
03-03-2006, 01:37 AM
Holy crap! Google image search for "FJ40" page 4 = http://www.angrypeppers.com/cruisers/rigs/connor/connor.html

74fj40
03-03-2006, 07:44 AM
no fawkin way.

Magoo
03-03-2006, 07:57 AM
yup those are the pics i was gonna post last night.

Hulk
03-03-2006, 10:13 AM
I think that's Chris Colangelo's web site (El Jefe). I didn't remember that he had renamed McGoo to Connor while the Cruiser was in his Cruiser stable. See this page.
http://www.angrypeppers.com/cruisers/rigs/thenewone/jefe01.html

Also:
http://www.angrypeppers.com/cruisers/cruiserhome.html

El Jefe
03-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Yep, that's my page. Connor was the name my ex-gf picked...we broke up not long after that. That truck will always be McGoo to me...

Chris

Magoo
03-03-2006, 12:14 PM
and i kinda tweaked the name a little to magoo but it will always be what it was.i had to personalize it a little

wesintl
10-25-2007, 02:51 PM
where has magoo been...:confused:

Shark Bait
10-25-2007, 03:10 PM
where has magoo been...:confused:

I ran into him at Kings in Parker a couple of weeks ago. He was with his GF. He still has Magoo.

The other question is where is El Jefe?

Tch2fly
10-25-2007, 07:19 PM
As far as I know he still works at Jeppesen with me. He is in another building so I haven't seen him in a while. I'll send him an email tomorrow and tell him to stop in here and say hi.

wesintl
11-21-2008, 09:41 AM
bump for magoo