PDA

View Full Version : Boulder County Fire

pmccumber
01-07-2009, 06:21 PM
11,000 homes evacuated. I just drove down 52 just south of Niwot to the diagonal and got good looks at both fires. One is very small and it is just west of Niwot. The other looks very large. 9News says 100 acres but it is definitely bigger than that. I can actually see from my deck here too.

To me it looks like it is north of Boulder and it is definitely into the foothills. That is, the hillside is on fire. It also looks like it stretches long the hillside for a ways, like a mile.

The wind was howling too. I'm really hoping it stays from the west because it is my belief that a grass fire can be hosed down. Might be naive but I just think they're less dangerous.

AxleIke
01-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Wind has died down. I can see it all from my front porch. Also choking on the smoke.

rover67
01-07-2009, 11:30 PM
looked pretty gnarly from 93 on the way back north from the meeting tonight.. hope everybody is OK and has insurance..

DaveInDenver
01-08-2009, 05:41 AM
Driving to and from the meeting last night I was listening to the fire dispatch. Sounded pretty busy. BTW, 154.370 was the frequency. Hoping for the best for anyone affected.

Uncle Ben
01-08-2009, 07:27 AM
I went home on Indiana. The fire was spectacular. It really looked huge! The news this morning said it was mostly contained.....God bless the firemen! :bowdown::bowdown: :fireman:

Jacket
01-08-2009, 09:17 AM
My friend Jeff has a 3 acre property at US36 and Nebo. When I talked to him around 5:00 yesterday, he was evacuating and had just seen his fence burn, and the flames were shooting up a couple of his cottonwoods. He saw a neighbor's barn go up in flames. But fortunately for him, the firefighters doused those flames, and contained the flames at his property line. Since then the fire moved more south than east, and as of this morning, folks east of US36 are being allowed back into their houses. He got lucky...

AxleIke
01-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Driving home from work yesterday was pretty insane.

It was dusk, and you could just make out the outline of the hills. I could see the fire burning on one hill. Then the road turned away, and I didn't see the fire for maybe 5-7 mins. When I saw it again, it has ripped up the hill it was on, down the other side, and had started up the next side.

I kept hoping there were no fire fighters in its path. When its moving that fast, you can't outrun it.

Thankfully, from the news, it appears the only injuries sustained are a hurt knee and ash in an eye.

X2 on UB's sentiment: God bless the firefighters, and keep them safe.

LARGEONE
01-08-2009, 10:43 AM
I work in Longmont at Nelson Road. I received a reverse 911 call at 3:45 to evacuate...not sure why since I work in a huge buidling and no one else got a call!!! But the smoke was definitely around our building.

From my house in N. Broomfield, I could definitely see two distinct, high flame areas.

Today, just a couple of small smoke areas that look completely under control. However, the entire side of the mountain near Left Hand Canyon is BLACK!!!

Glad to hear people are safe and only minor losses compared to what it could have been with those winds.

lfd270ben
01-08-2009, 08:26 PM
I was there all night wind driven fir is very impressive my engine was protecting the house next to that barn that burned there was a pretty sweet little chevelle that we didn't want to burn either at midnight we were moved to old stage and that was impressive also my engine arrived at 1530 and we were pulled of the fire line at 0530 I have been at alot of fires but with the wind blowing like it was I am surprised niwot still exists.