PDA

View Full Version : TC Question?

Air Randy
01-10-2009, 09:37 PM
I think I've got the 40 running pretty good now, but now I need to fix the leak from the back of the transfer case.

I removed the old drum style parking brake and replaced it with a new disc brake style unit. I put a new seal on the output at the same time.

All was well when I started driving the 40 for about 1 day. Now I have a significant leak from the output shaft of the TC. I looked closlley and it is for sure the output shaft and not the speedo gear.

I read up on how to perform the Mudrack style double seal, no problem. My questions is, how do I know what needs to be adjusted on the shims back there? Ige and some others were thinking that may be the cause of my leak since I didn't change any of that went I swapped from drum to disk.

Uncle Ben
01-10-2009, 10:15 PM
The problem could be and most likely is lube creeping out the splines of the brake hub. Drop the drive shaft and see if the hub is wet at the nut or dripping from the seal. If its at the nut simply pull the nut and hub off add some RTV to the splines in front of the hub and put it back together.