PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: 3FE Fan

PabloCruise
01-11-2009, 10:34 PM
The other morning I thought something was wrong with the Pig and then I realized the clutch fan was not howling.

My fan is loud all the time, even when I first start the 3FE up.

Does anyone have a fan for 3FE w/ working clutch?

TIA,

Crash
01-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Normal fan clutch operation is to be engaged, making the fan "howl" for the first couple of minutes after a cold start up. Then it will slowly disengage, quieting things down. One of our fine Toyota vendors will sell you the OEM fan clutch at the best price possible and DO NOT buy an aftermarket fan clutch per Mark Whatley's - and everybody else's - advice. Buy a new one and forget about it for a long time. Do you really need a new fan?

DaveInDenver
01-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Normal fan clutch operation is to be engaged, making the fan "howl" for the first couple of minutes after a cold start up. Then it will slowly disengage, quieting things down. One of our fine Toyota vendors will sell you the OEM fan clutch at the best price possible and DO NOT buy an aftermarket fan clutch per Mark Whatley's - and everybody else's - advice. Buy a new one and forget about it for a long time. Do you really need a new fan?
Used to be that you could also just get the silicone goop from Toyota and rebuild them. I had OK success doing that and I've been running on a rebuilt clutch now for a few years. Just another option, although I can't sure for sure if Jerry can still get the fluid alone or not. And it's certainly a bit more of a pain in the rear, but also it's just $10.

Crash
01-12-2009, 09:55 AM
My rebuilding fan clutch experience matches many others on the 3FE list, Dave. There never was consensus on how much new fluid to use and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. Maybe TJ's fan clutch access is easier because of the fact it is in a 55 but, on an FJ62 that hadn't had the fan shrould already cut in half to ease access, getting at the bugger made you want to be sure that you got it right the first time, hence, purchasing a new OEM clutch.

DaveInDenver
01-12-2009, 11:20 AM
My rebuilding fan clutch experience matches many others on the 3FE list, Dave. There never was consensus on how much new fluid to use and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. Maybe TJ's fan clutch access is easier because of the fact it is in a 55 but, on an FJ62 that hadn't had the fan shrould already cut in half to ease access, getting at the bugger made you want to be sure that you got it right the first time, hence, purchasing a new OEM clutch.
I do understand it's a hit or miss endeavor. I couldn't tell you if I used one fully bottle, part of a second or what anymore. As I recall it was a highly estimated guess as how much came out when I drained the old black goop into a cup and let it sit overnight. But getting at the fan clutch on my truck is not particularly difficult and I can understand the reasons behind just replacing the sucker. But I drive a pickup as much because I'm cheap as anything...

PabloCruise
01-13-2009, 10:24 PM

No, just the clutch. Mine never stops howling. Wondering how much that will set me back...