PDA

View Full Version : Front suspension question

Air Randy
01-12-2009, 06:33 PM
I have SOA suspension with Alcan springs. I've never been able to jack it up at home high enough to get full droop and to check for binding on the DS.

I took it to Midas for new exhaust the other day and while it was on the rack I finally got a chance to check it at full droop.

The DS does bind (solid) on the front u-joint at the pinion flange. The rear joints at the T-case are double cardan and appear to be OK.

I'll look at it to see if its possible to do some grinding and improve the clearances. If that doesn't work is there a way to put a limiter chain on the front to limit suspension droop until I can get a cut & turn done to fix it the right way?

Uncle Ben
01-12-2009, 06:37 PM
How about compression? Raise your shocks or install some limit straps.

Gerdo
01-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Don't use chain. Too solid and no stretch. You bill be breaking chain, bolts and mounting tabs.

Use a webbing strap. I'm not sure where to buy them but I know that they come in different lengths.

Yes, limit straps could be an inexpensive quick fix. Granted if you fix it so you get full droop without binding it will be more capable.

Gerdo
01-12-2009, 08:31 PM
How about compression? Raise your shocks or install some limit straps.

Raising the shocks or shorter shocks could also limit to max droop.

RockRunner
01-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Limit straps can be bought from most 4x4 places on line. You just need to measure what lenght you need. Even when you do a cut and turn it does not hurt to keep the straps. If you ever catch air or drop in a sudden hole the straps will keep your suspension from pulling on your shocks if they are shorter then needed.