PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a "dented" side cover for 1F/2F

Air Randy
01-13-2009, 11:33 AM
I didn't even realize there was such a thing until I read an old Coolerman thread on MUD reference installing an FJ60 distributor into an FJ40.

I'm not sure if these covers with the indentation for the distributor only came on 60's or something else. My HEI distributor is in and working OK but I do have a clearance issue with the side cover when trying to get full rotation when tweaking the timing.

I'm planning to replace the cam and lifters in the spring and will have to pull the cover anyways to do that, so let me know if you have one of these laying around. Thanks-Randy

nuclearlemon
01-13-2009, 05:36 PM
i have one, but you can't have it cause i have it on my 45:D

i have heard that people have had success just dimpling the original cover with a deadblow.

Air Randy
01-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Fine, be that way;)

Rzeppa
01-15-2009, 05:50 PM
IF you use an FJ60 distributor, then yes you will need the side cover with the indent. If you can find a 1978 distributor, you won't need that, it has the smaller head and is still fully electronic. Of course any Toyota fully electronic distributor will need the appropriate ignitor. I am not familiar with the technical characteristics of the HEI (even though I used to have one in my Chevy van), but I do know that some electronic units are optical and some are magnetic. I know the Toyota units are magnetic, and again, must be matched with the appropriate ignitor.

I would suggest that you continue to evaluate your options and have everything ready to go when you tackle this project in the spring.

Air Randy
01-15-2009, 05:57 PM
I plan on using my big head HEI distributor, which works without the indented cover, but it has a minor clearance issue the cover will fix.