PDA

View Full Version : T-Boned

timmbuck2
01-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Yup...got t-boned in the 80 this morning at Champa and Speer. Lady in a PT Cruiser ran a red light and t-boned me...luckily AFTER I had dropped off the boys. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU John Henley!!!!!!! The welding job you did on my sliders was awesome! The sliders saved the entire right side of my truck...a PT Cruiser hit me at 30 MPH and all I have on that side of my truck is a bent up and scratched slider. Unfortunately a truck was to my left so I have some front fender and bumper damage. Pics soon. But awesome job John, thank you! It is drivable, but i can't open the passenger doors. Should I cut the slider off or try and bend it back down? Oh and Christo, hope you have a ARB bumper in stock!

Nobody was hurt so I guess it is a good day...

Romer
01-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Glad your allright and the Kids were not with you Timm.

Chris
01-14-2009, 11:06 AM

Amen to that!

Sorry it happened but as you know metal can be fixed, glad nobody was hurt.

Corbet
01-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Happy to hear nobody was hurt.

I would have the frame inspected just in case. The energy has to go somewhere, hopefully in your case into the Cruiser, the PT Cruiser that is.

nakman
01-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Glad your allright and the Kids were not with you Timm.

X2!!!!! Man my heart sinks just thinking about that.. Glad all is well, and Oleg would be who I'd take it to if you wanted the frame looked at, he's good at that sorta thing.

RicardoJM
01-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Bummer, glad to hear no one was hurt.

Shark Bait
01-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Drag, Tim. I think your 80 is cursed. :eek:

timmbuck2
01-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Drag, Tim. I think your 80 is cursed. :eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

corsair23
01-14-2009, 12:05 PM
WOW!

Glad no one was hurt and that damage, given the circumstances, was minimal...

Groucho
01-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Oh and Christo, hope you have a ARB bumper in stock!

Ain't that the truth, on both parts!!

Jacket
01-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Yikes - that sucks. How bad was the damage to the PT that hit you?

LARGEONE
01-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Tim...glad to hear that it is only metal damage!

Did you get any pictures of the PT Cruiser? I'm sure the Toyota fared much better than the PT in the "CRUISER vs. cruiser" incident?!!!

A while back in my FJ40 (sold) a young girl rear ended me at a light. My tow ball/hitch went completely through her radiator and nearly totalled her car. The 40 didn't even have anything to report to insurance. Nothing even bent.

Again...glad to hear the damage is minor. And you might even end up with a stout bumper out of it!!!

timmbuck2
01-14-2009, 12:43 PM
I did get pics, waiting for them to download from my phone. The PT Cruiser was not driving anywhere...the slider took out her radiator...if there had not been a F150 in the lane to my left, I would not have a scratch on the truck...but I do want to get the frame checked.

Allstate is looking at it tomorrow...then I need to figure out ASAP what to do with the bent up slider...cut it off? somehow try to bend it back down for now?

corsair23
01-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Allstate is looking at it tomorrow...then I need to figure out ASAP what to do with the bent up slider...cut it off? somehow try to bend it back down for now?

Figuring you need to be able to open the passenger side doors but enjoy (obviously) the protection offered I'd see about trying to get it bent back down which might be a tall order...Maybe Oleg has the tools that can bend it back down for the time being. :thumb:

Hulk
01-14-2009, 01:06 PM

Cut it off. Allstate will buy you a new slider.

Glad to hear you are OK. It's nice to be inside the beefier vehicle in any accident!

Red_Chili
01-14-2009, 01:08 PM
When I rolled and bent my slider up a bit, I just cut slots in the support tubes, bent it to my liking, and welded up the slots. Good as new.

It really depends on how it is bent.

PhatFJ
01-14-2009, 01:40 PM
WOW!! Glad you are OK!!! Hope she has good insurance! Good luck with the repair....

Brian

farnhamstj
01-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Glad everyone is alright. Good luck with the repairs.

RockRunner
01-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Sorry to hear about this but glad all are well. And people wonder why we drive "SUV'S"

timmbuck2
01-14-2009, 07:37 PM
$3k estimated with a lot of "what if's" in the estimate, plus $1k for sliders...at $4k with the "what if's" estimated at the low end....and she said it would be written off at $6k. I need to find a body shop that will make sure to really examine everything, including the frame. She admitted she rushed through the estimate. I already had a few thousand worth of work done when the truck was sideswiped in front of my house...

Any suggestions for good body shops to really look it over and update the estimate? Christo or Oleg, you don't do this kind of work, do you? I will want a new ARB front bumper and replace the sliders for sure Christo...have step sliders in stock?

T

ps-what should I watch out for medically? had a headache and sore neck today, but does not seem to be bad...

Chris
01-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Perry & Terry Auto Body
1612 Teller Street, Lakewood
Phone: 303-232-7852
http://www.perryandterryautobody.com/

Ask for Joe (my son-in-law) and tell him I sent you, they'll do you right and make sure everything's taken care of correctly.

While there ask Sam (owner) to show you his '55 Chevy - too cool & enough to make you want a street rod.

calphi27
01-14-2009, 09:22 PM
if you have not gone to the doctor, PLEASE GO TOMORROW. if something comes up in a few months, you will be glad you did. glad to hear you are ok.

Beater
01-14-2009, 09:27 PM
do NOT rush through the estimates with the insurance, or with medical issues. get checked out asap, and document all treatments and costs. as for insurance, it's easy to total an 80. I know. This is ok if you don't mind a salvage title.

SROR/AKA 2BAD
01-14-2009, 10:17 PM
glad your ok,

today was a crazy day to drive for some reason.
i came across way to many tards, on the way to and from work :thumb:

timmbuck2
01-15-2009, 12:38 AM
thanks all for your concern and advice. I will get to the doc this week. I also will get some estimates done and hope it gets close to salvage...

Here are the pics!

First I see the damage to the front....ugh....

timmbuck2
01-15-2009, 12:38 AM
then I see her damage...dang....leaking fluids everywhere, and looked worse in person. The left front wheel was pointed in a different direction than the passenger side wheel. Definitely not drivable.

timmbuck2
01-15-2009, 12:41 AM
then I take a deep breath and go look at my passenger side and expect to see both doors smashed in....

timmbuck2
01-15-2009, 12:43 AM
Not a scratch on that side. I was lucky...and John did an amazing job welding...and did I mention I was lucky? 2 or 3 feet either direction and the truck probably is written off for good...and I probably have injuries. Again, thanks everyone for your concern.

Shark Bait
01-15-2009, 12:43 AM
Bummer. :(

corsair23
01-15-2009, 01:52 AM
No airbag deployment on the PT Cruiser?

Amazing to see how well the slider held up and kept the PS body from getting damaged...Still a bummer though.

Jenny Cruiser
01-15-2009, 04:19 AM
Sad day. Better have your insurance company quote you too. That estimate is at least 1K low for the damage you have pictured IMO.

IRBIS can fix you up as well.

timmbuck2
01-15-2009, 09:10 AM
I was surprised about that, too...I wonder if it did not deploy because the impact was above and missed the bumper entirely? Or does it sense g-forces no matter where the impact?

No airbag deployment on the PT Cruiser?

Amazing to see how well the slider held up and kept the PS body from getting damaged...Still a bummer though.

subzali
01-15-2009, 10:39 AM
With the damage to the fender and hood, I am guessing that estimate is a tad low as well. That stuff is not easy for shops to straighten/realign.

timmbuck2
01-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the advice to go see your son-in-law Chris. Unfortunately he can't do much with Allstate. He thinks there is probably more damage than they wrote up, too, but they would require him to start work on the fix and then write up a "additional damage" estimate. I want to get them to write it off before they even get that far. My StateFarm agent suggested taking it to a "preferred level" provider for StateFarm and have them do a complete estimate. If it comes out closer to the write-up figure then i could file the claim with Statefarm and they would go after Allstate to write it off. If it comes close to the Allstate figure then I should probably just stick with dealing with them. Does anybody have any recommendations for body shops who might know Cruisers and are "State Farm Preferred Providers"??

Thanks

T

Romer
01-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Oleg has always done my body work and that depends onhow is feeling lately. If you went this option, you would get a check and have him do it potentially saving some money. He did have progressive come out and look at Rachels car when the damage was more then originally projected.

Red Chile and Greg used a shop up north, but I thought I heard it closed.

I think I have heard Kevin mention a place in Boulder/Louisville

Christo has a place he uses out west, might ask him.

timmbuck2
01-15-2009, 03:51 PM
I did drop a PM to Oleg. My main goal is to get as estimate with all the damage realistically estimated to see how close it is to getting written off.

Oleg has always done my body work and that depends onhow is feeling lately. If you went this option, you would get a check and have him do it potentially saving some money. He did have progressive come out and look at Rachels car when the damage was more then originally projected.

I think I have heard Kevin mention a place in Boulder/Louisville

Christo has a place he uses out west, might ask him.

Red_Chili
01-15-2009, 03:53 PM

CIM auto body, and yeah, it did. :( They did a great job.

Jenny Cruiser
01-15-2009, 04:08 PM
My StateFarm agent suggested taking it to a "preferred level" provider for StateFarm and have them do a complete estimate. If it comes out closer to the write-up figure then i could file the claim with Statefarm and they would go after Allstate to write it off. If it comes close to the Allstate figure then I should probably just stick with dealing with them. Does anybody have any recommendations for body shops who might know Cruisers and are "State Farm Preferred Providers"??

Thanks

T

You can take it to anyone you want for the estimate and submit it to SF. Your agent should have let you know that.

sleeoffroad
01-15-2009, 04:13 PM
$3k estimated with a lot of "what if's" in the estimate, plus $1k for sliders...at $4k with the "what if's" estimated at the low end....and she said it would be written off at $6k. I need to find a body shop that will make sure to really examine everything, including the frame. She admitted she rushed through the estimate. I already had a few thousand worth of work done when the truck was sideswiped in front of my house...

Any suggestions for good body shops to really look it over and update the estimate? Christo or Oleg, you don't do this kind of work, do you? I will want a new ARB front bumper and replace the sliders for sure Christo...have step sliders in stock?

T

ps-what should I watch out for medically? had a headache and sore neck today, but does not seem to be bad...

Sorry about this, but glad everyone is ok. We don't do body work, but have parts in stock.

timmbuck2
01-15-2009, 08:09 PM
You can take it to anyone you want for the estimate and submit it to SF. Your agent should have let you know that.

Thanks, yeah she did kinda let me know....and that is what I did when the 80 was hit and run. In this case I am dealing with Allstate first, which will not apparently let me go get my own estimate. My agent suggested using their preferred provider for the estimate because I don't have to file a claim yet with State Farm if I don't want to and they have the same software as the State farm estmimators, so it might be a better guess...

timmbuck2
01-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Sorry about this, but glad everyone is ok. We don't do body work, but have parts in stock.

Thanks Christo, regardless of what happens I will want step sliders and an ARB front bumper at least. :o

T

Jenny Cruiser
01-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Timm,

If you're looking for a step slider you might check out this cat. I had no idea he was up here until recently. He does a stock look step slider that is kinda cool. I've yet to see them up close, but may drop by tomorrow if he's available.

http://www.bumpitoffroad.com/

Here's his photobucket pics as well.

http://s442.photobucket.com/albums/qq149/BumpItOffroad/80%20Sliders/

Jim @ Solidrockoff-road also has a couple of step variations. The angled ones he put together for my last rig were awesome.

Rezarf
01-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Was the PT Cruiser on the phone? Just curious, I have nearly been hit twice this week with folks on the phone. I saw something in the news of a bill being raised up for a total cell phone ban in vehicles... even when hands free.

Glad to hear you are okay bud!

wesintl
01-15-2009, 10:31 PM
I've seen some real tards on the road lately. Glad your ok Timm.

bh4rnnr
01-15-2009, 11:54 PM
Glad to here your ok Timm. And good to see that the 80 came out better than th PT.