PDA

View Full Version : If you had two weeks to see Colorado

bh4rnnr
01-17-2009, 04:21 PM
What would be on your list?

I'm pondering a idea for next summer, going along the lines of Dave Conners Expedition Utah and the Utah Traverse that is being put together over at ExpeditionUtah.com.

The idea would be to spend as much time on the dirt as possible while seeing the best of Colorado. Thought about doing a east to west, or just going. Two weeks would mean a relaxed pass trip, but will see on time available. It'll also have to be later in the summer when the passes are open.

I have decided that any trip like this would start and end at the Cabin:cool:

Thoughts?

Lars
01-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Southwest Colorado would be my first pick. Lots of dirt roads, lots of History beautiful country.

bh4rnnr
01-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Southwest Colorado would be my first pick. Lots of dirt roads, lots of History beautiful country.

That would be one part of the trip. Already on the list so to speak:).

Jus throwing out the idea of: If you had this amount of time to see Colorado, where would you go...

:beer::beer:

ginericLC
01-17-2009, 05:46 PM
I'd start down in Silverton, Telluride, Ouray, work my way up to Buena Vista and the trails in that area, and then end near Vail doing Holy Cross, the High Passes, etc... There is so much to explore.

farnhamstj
01-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Flat tops, Kokopelli through Moab, Naturita to Ouray, Telluride Silverton, Tincup, Camp Hale, Mosquito Pass to Fairplay, Redcone to Keystone. Or I might just sit on my back deck and sip Margarittas for 2 weeks. Option #2 sounds better to me right now.

Jacket
01-17-2009, 06:34 PM
I like where Farnham is going with his plan. I thought about this a lot last summer when we did our "dirt and passes" trip through Buena Vista, Crested Butte, Lake City and Ouray. Hard to map out the details in a few short thoughts, but I always favor areas south of I70, with highlights being all the passes and dirt roads connecting:

Cripple Creek/Victor->Sand Dunes->Chama (NM) ->Durango, Silverton, Ouray->Lake City->Black Canyon->Crested Butte->Taylor, Italian to Aspen->Tincup, St Elmo -> Leadville -> Fairplay -> Keystone, Montezuma

and if there's still time, up toward Steamboat, North Park and the "north side".

Hard to contain it to two weeks...;)

Convert
01-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Hard to contain it to two weeks...;)

I completely agree we spent 2 weeks just in the south west part of the state a few years ago.

bh4rnnr
01-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Flat tops, Kokopelli through Moab, Naturita to Ouray, Telluride Silverton, Tincup, Camp Hale, Mosquito Pass to Fairplay, Redcone to Keystone. Or I might just sit on my back deck and sip Margarittas for 2 weeks. Option #2 sounds better to me right now.

You have room for one more:)

I was thinking along the lines of San Juan’s, Mesa Verde (never been), the west desert and Roan Cliffs. Hit Crested Butte and the Mountain Passes surrounding the area. Continue my way east to Buena Vista, Leadville and the rest of the Summit Country corridor. Near the Front Range, turn south to explore some of the mountains that way, along with the Sand Dunes. Finish up maybe in Pawnee Grasslands (Again, never been). Some time would have to be spent at the Cabin.

wesintl
01-18-2009, 11:32 AM
IMHO while it's great to see ouray, the ghost towns around st elmo, holy cross and the regular high passes I'd do something different. You can hit most of what has been mentioned with club trips.

I'd start around Chama, NM and travel north through the mountains and end up somewhere near Baggs, WY. There is fantasic scenery in the flat tops. I bet you couldn't hit all the trails in the flat tops in 2 weeks. Pick up a gazetteer and start planning.

At least this is what i've thought about. :hill:

Ron Helmuth
01-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Crested Butte area is gorgeous as the early flowers come into bloom-my favorite areas to off road are Taylor Pass from Aspen to Taylor Reservoir then west out of Crested Butte (Jack's cutoff not to be missed) through the Devil's Punchbowl descent into the Crystal River-short hop to see the Marble mine and grab some chunks for a keepsake.

Inukshuk
01-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Farnham's Deck.

But I also know some remote stuff near the summitville mine I'd recommend.

Red_Chili
01-21-2009, 03:43 PM
McClure Pass, thence down the highway called The Black by locals (goes down to and around the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, from Paonia) is not to be missed. But then, I discovered this on a motorcycle, which IMHO is one of the best ways to experience the area.

Hulk
01-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Two weeks? Maybe you should hike the Colorado Trail.

farnhamstj
01-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Maybe you should work for those 2 weeks and use the money to install a SFA. Colorado isn't that pretty anyway:D:D:D:lmao: