PDA

View Full Version : Hot Wing contest CM09

farnhamstj
01-17-2009, 05:37 PM
How about a Hot wing cook off. Nothing too complicated or technical. Winner gets a cold bomber of my choice purchased in CO prior to the event. Provided by Me. Anyone intersted cooks say 20-30 wings or drumies and we meet to wash them down with malt beverages. 4/30 about dark?

I'll be cooking mine on charcoal at my camp site. They're so nice they'll burn ya twice.

Romer
01-17-2009, 08:08 PM
I'll be a judge as I wander through the campground :D

RockRunner
01-18-2009, 12:33 PM
That is a great idea :bowdown: We could do it in a common area or if we need power/grills I will volunteer the front and side of my cabin. Since I have the corner cabin we could use the front and side and I am sure whomever my neighbor will be they could share their front area/table/grill too :D

Depending on the amount of people who enter we could ask for donations from the taster people and donate it to the Moab food bank or something like that.

I would be happy to help with setting this up. Just LMK the details etc. :thumb:

Can't wait :campfire::beer2:

bh4rnnr
01-18-2009, 01:00 PM
That is a great idea :bowdown: We could do it in a common area or if we need power/grills I will volunteer the front and side of my cabin. Since I have the corner cabin we could use the front and side and I am sure whomever my neighbor will be they could share their front area/table/grill too :D

Depending on the amount of people who enter we could ask for donations from the taster people and donate it to the Moab food bank or something like that.

I would be happy to help with setting this up. Just LMK the details etc. :thumb:

Can't wait :campfire::beer2:

I'd be happy to donate some tasty malt beverages in hopes of becoming a taster:):beer::beer:

nakman
01-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Great idea Farnham, I'm in.

bigbluefj
01-18-2009, 03:13 PM
count me in

Hmmmm what to do????

Trapper50cal
03-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Hopefully I'll be camping in the boonies on Thursday night but I'll be at Slickrock Campground Wed. Night for Inspection and to kick it with friends. (Corbet, I'm looking your direction, Zornff, you too) I'll be more than happy to donate some of Steamworks Finest to the cause.

Corbet
03-05-2009, 03:35 PM
I'd be happy to donate some tasty malt beverages in hopes of becoming a taster:):beer::beer:

Me too as I'm no wing cook.

bh4rnnr
03-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Hopefully I'll be camping in the boonies on Thursday night but I'll be at Slickrock Campground Wed. Night for Inspection and to kick it with friends. (Corbet, I'm looking your direction, Zornff, you too) I'll be more than happy to donate some of Steamworks Finest to the cause.

Off topic,

Any chance I could persuade you in bringing a case of there fine ale out along with a pint glass? As I collect pint glasses. Full compensation will be waiting. Just tried there ale, dang good stuff.

Red_Chili
03-06-2009, 09:28 AM
I will heroically and selflessly volunteer to be a taster. As long as 'hot' is reasonable.

Uncle Ben
03-06-2009, 09:32 AM
I will heroically and selflessly volunteer to be a taster. As long as 'hot' is reasonable.

Wuss... :rolleyes:

Red_Chili
03-06-2009, 10:17 AM
I can live with wuss. Living with the result of overly spicey is far worse. 12119

bigbluefj
03-06-2009, 04:55 PM
i thing come's to mind Ring of Fire

farnhamstj
03-07-2009, 09:08 PM
I'll be making a few batches. One for the Men at camp. A milder one that is appropriate for my 3 and 4 year old children. And a third the mildest of them all probably just use ketchup because BBQ sauce is too spicy for Red Chili.:D

Sounds like we have more tasters than chefs. So search up how to cook hot wings and show off your skillz. :campfire:I welcome the offer of beer. It may be delivered to site 165 at any time.:cheers: If anyone wants to show off any of their local/home/favorite brews I'd be happy to sample them. My favorite kinds of beer, the one you provided.:beer2:

bigbluefj
03-07-2009, 10:38 PM
This is going to be fun, i have a few idea's wait and see..

RockRunner
03-08-2009, 09:22 AM
I must agree with Farnham, beer donations are more than welcome:beer::thumb:.

Not sure about the three different levels but we'll see:confused:. I will try to keep the heat down so that everyone can partake and not have to hide behind a rock on the trail the next day.:rolleyes:

Dark beers put out the flames the best:thumb::D

Red_Chili
03-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Regards hot stuff... reminds me of a story.

Seems ol' Granpa in Texas (where else) liked spicy food. His grand kids thought they would test the old man. They took him on a great family camping trip and on the first night they fed him bowls of chili from each one's favorite recipe, each hotter than the last.

Well, despite beads of sweat breaking out on the old man's forehead he would smile and comment how good the chili was, and ate every drop. They finished up with some homemade ice cream made right in camp with a hand crank ice cream maker. Great memories.

Then the next morning, they sleepily assembled around the campfire, and Granpa wandered off into the woods to the shanty outhouse.

They didn't hear much at first, but after a minute, they heard him say,
"C'MON, ICE CREAM!!"

bigbluefj
03-08-2009, 10:00 AM
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Trapper50cal
03-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Off topic,

Any chance I could persuade you in bringing a case of there fine ale out along with a pint glass? As I collect pint glasses. Full compensation will be waiting. Just tried there ale, dang good stuff.

Absolutely, do you have a preference? we have Variety 12packs that have Lizard Head Red, Third Eye Pale Ale, Colorado Kolsch an Steam Engine Lager or we have all those flavors solo or we have cans of 3rd Eye and Cans of Steam. And which Pint Glass, do you have a favorite?

Trapper50cal
03-22-2009, 08:33 AM
I must agree with Farnham, beer donations are more than welcome:beer::thumb:.

Not sure about the three different levels but we'll see:confused:. I will try to keep the heat down so that everyone can partake and not have to hide behind a rock on the trail the next day.:rolleyes:

Dark beers put out the flames the best:thumb::D

Yup, actually any beer with a large malt profile will qwell heat and beers with more hop in the grain bill will accentuate spicyness.

Trapper50cal
03-22-2009, 08:42 AM
I'll be making a few batches. One for the Men at camp. A milder one that is appropriate for my 3 and 4 year old children. And a third the mildest of them all probably just use ketchup because BBQ sauce is too spicy for Red Chili.:D

Sounds like we have more tasters than chefs. So search up how to cook hot wings and show off your skillz. :campfire:I welcome the offer of beer. It may be delivered to site 165 at any time.:cheers: If anyone wants to show off any of their local/home/favorite brews I'd be happy to sample them. My favorite kinds of beer, the one you provided.:beer2:

What Night is this going down??

I have site 165 for Wed. & Thursday night...???

bh4rnnr
03-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Absolutely, do you have a preference? we have Variety 12packs that have Lizard Head Red, Third Eye Pale Ale, Colorado Kolsch an Steam Engine Lager or we have all those flavors solo or we have cans of 3rd Eye and Cans of Steam. And which Pint Glass, do you have a favorite?

Sweet! And Many thanks! How bout a case of the Steam Engine in cans, and maybe suprise me on the pint glass. Let me know how much, and I can also bring some local stuff if you'd like.

And if you see the new Brewmaster Thomas, tell him Perry say's hello.

Thanks again!!

:beer::beer:

Trapper50cal
03-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Can do!

Don't know a Thomas though...do you mean Tom Sorensen, one of our old Sales Reps from Denver? Or is it another Brewery here in Durango?

At any rate, consider a case of Steam and a glass (or two) on its way to Cruise Moab.

bh4rnnr
03-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Can do!

Don't know a Thomas though...do you mean Tom Sorensen, one of our old Sales Reps from Denver? Or is it another Brewery here in Durango?

At any rate, consider a case of Steam and a glass (or two) on its way to Cruise Moab.

I was told by a bartender at the Wynkoop that he went to the brewery in Durango. I assumed that ment SteamWorks. I could be wrong though.

Again, many thanks! Looking forward to some good beer over good company:cool::blah::beer::beer:

Trapper50cal
03-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Could be Ska or Carvers or Durango Brewing Co. as well. We have a fair amount of Beer flowing here in Durango. But at any rate, I'll be there with plenty of Suds in tow.

farnhamstj
04-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Anyone been fine tuning recipes? If you've never cooked hot wings before this a perfect chance. Chicken, hot sauce, butter. Cook chicken to 165. Mix butter and hot sauce. Dip cooked chicken in sauce and wash down with beer. Thurday pm, about dark. During vendor night. WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER.

RockRunner
04-22-2009, 10:42 AM
I am working on mine but it will be a little different. Still chicken and still spicy but different. I hope more people do it, we should try to do it in a common area so the cooks can taste the other wings too. If we do it at our own places the cooks will never get to walk and taste.

I am in Cabin 1 and can offer my front area plus have power too, will bring an extension cord. Also a grill and a table, and if we know the neighbors we can use their stuff.

farnhamstj
04-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Sounds good see you there.

Rzeppa
04-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Anyone been fine tuning recipes? If you've never cooked hot wings before this a perfect chance. Chicken, hot sauce, butter. Cook chicken to 165. Mix butter and hot sauce. Dip cooked chicken in sauce and wash down with beer. Thurday pm, about dark. During vendor night. WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER.

Since CM2K, I have made "Zeppy Shrimp" for the potluck which we used to have on Thursday evening. Basically similar to buffalo in recipe and construction, except it uses shrimp instead of chicken wings. Hot sauce, butter, lemon juice and secret herbs for the sauce. If anyone's interested I would be amenable to cooking up a few batches. Best served with chunks of french bread to sop up the sauce. Not to mention a few cold adult beverages :-)

farnhamstj
04-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Jeff. excellent.

For anyone needing help

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=hot%20wings

Rzeppa
04-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Presumably this is going to held at Slickrock Campground...is there a ground zero where we all shall meet?

Mendocino
05-03-2009, 03:58 PM
So we held the event at Farnham and Dee's campsite and had about 20-30 people participate. The wings ranged from scaldingly hot:eek: to the more sublime. In the end, my daughter Claire's recipe was the crowd favorite (which used a rub from Lucille's; were then pan fried; and then covered with a mixture of Tapitio and butter). Here is Farnham presenting Claire with the award for best wings at CM09.

This was a great event an introduced a lot of people to each other. Kudos to Farnham for dreaming this up and pulling it off.:)

bigbluefj
05-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Good for Clarie budding chef in the making..

Rzeppa
05-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Heh. It was awesome...