PDA

View Full Version : minutes from the first quarter meeting COA4WDCI

nuclearlemon
01-17-2009, 07:29 PM
First quarter meeting began with election of the western slope vp, parliamentarian and 1st vp.

Perry Reed will remain as the western slope vp, beating out Terry. Gene King was voted in as parliamentarian after Kevin Carter resigned, and Kerry from the Northern district was voted in as first vp (if Shelley, can't make a meeting, then Kerry would step up).

A bylaw change was also instated that allows the President and the Treasurer to be in the same club.

The 2008 raffle totals were presented. Total income was 23,337.02, expenditures was 21,580.73 for a total income of 1756.29.

A new bylaws committee was formed and will be lead by Gene King. The association would like to have one person from each club represented on the committee, so if anyone would like to volunteer, please contact Gene or myself.

Three new associate members were presented, Crane High Clearance in Denver, Hellman Motor Company out of Delta, and Crawlertech in Denver.

For those members with graduating high school students, it's time to get the scholarship applications in. They are due by March 1st.

Adam Mehlberg presented the Adopt A Road hour awards. Third place went to Western Slope Four Wheelers with 26 hours per member. Second place went to the Hillbillies with 31.3/member and the winner was Big Thompson Four Wheelers with 65.5/member. The Association only recorded 5638 hours total, which i think is a problem with clubs getting hours turned in. I also think with all the runs that our club does, we could easily kick some butt with hours! So please, if you lead a run, keep track of the number of folks on that run and turn in your hours. Our hours do not have to be on our adopt a trails only. Anytime you are on any trail, you can claim those hours!

Gail is looking for volunteers for the Rv Sports Boat and Travel show again. The show is March 5th - 8th. Also, Gail will be looking for three vehicles to display. Those vehicles would have to be moved in on the 3rd by noon and you'd be able to pick them up on the 8th. For those with extra vehicles, this would be a place to display a show off a rig that you didn't need to drive that week. I'm thinking Hulk would be a great rig for this event Matt.

Ken Emory, the land use coordinator, brought some great news. The Dry Creek management plan went through a second scoping plan and, not only did they not lose a single 4wd trail, but they gained two! One of the trails is being called Boulder Canyon, because of the terrain. Apparently, this is a seriously hardcore trail and Ken is suggesting it may become one of the top ten in the U.S. Nepa has already been done on these trails and Western Slope clubs are working with Superlift to have events in Boulder Canyon.

They've also gotten two new trails open in the Roan Plateau, Monitor Mesa and Robideaux. These are both loops. They are also working on a bypass on Poughkeepsie Gulch.

Jeff from Stay The Trail gave a small presentation regarding the different foundations in COHVCO (STT, COHVCO foundation, Trail Patrol Program). The COHVCO Foundation works with BLM and FS to get educational material out to the public.

With STT, we voted to swap advertising space in High Trails for our logo being presented on the STT trailer. MHJC is working with STT to create 4wd specific brochures for the STT trailer.

STT also can help out with selling raffle tickets for the raffle vehicles

MHJC and Bighorn Jeep Club have purchased the 2009 raffle vehicle, it's a 1989 Jeep YJ.

Janice, on behalf of COHVCO has offered a BOD position on COHVCO in exchange for a BOD position in COA4WDCI. This is being discussed as it really isn't a like for like position, but COA4WDCI is one of four founding members of COHVCO and we really need to be more involved. Currently, we do have a committee member in COHVCO, that's Janice.
Gene is suggesting that we allow COHVCO be allowed a non voting position in State. Jeff did point out that there really isn't a good 4wd voice in COHVCO and there really isn't work between the OHV users. COHVCO would like more communication between them and us. If anyone would like to attend a COHVCO meeting, they are held third wednesday of the month, every other month at Fay Meyers at 6pm.

Brian Rasmussen gave a slideshow and presentation on the Lefthand Canyon area and the new rockcrawl route. The new route is close to opening, but there is still some post and cable that has to be finished, winch anchor points need to be installed and signage has to be done. BRD will be monitoring the trail a lot when it is first opened. In addition to the new routes, BRD and WRV will finish restoration of Carnage, add more post and cable, add more single track routes, develop staging areas with facilities, implement a user fee program, clean up and acquire ROWS for Castle Gulch area, and night closures.

In addition to all of Trail Ridge Runners work on the trail, there were grants initiated to get this done, most of it was paid for by a grant by the James Creek Watershed Initiative. They were able to acquire this because the new rockcrawl will protect the watershed in Carnage Canyon.

There was a board that was created to help increase the State Association both in membership and effectiveness. For membership, they are trying to get each district to get at least one new club every year. Also, they are looking to getting the rock crawls going again to help draw the younger crowd in again. They are creating literature to hand out to potential supporting members and will be looking to get dealerships to help out when selling new vehicles.

They've finally taken into consideration, my idea for a forum, and are going to work on ways to be more internet saavy. Also, meetings can sometimes be sparsely attended, so they are trying to find ways to get more people to attend, which will really screw up my winning streak, so please don't go. So far, i've won two winch straps, a welder, and a winch.

The raffle vehicle suffered greatly in sales last year, and they've realized that Rising Sun did it right, so they've increased the advertising budget to cover the cost to advertise the rig in a major magazine, in case they can't get it listed in the new items sections of the magazines. They are also going to try to be more prominent on various websites and have more links from other sights. They are also working on some sort of award for the clubs that sell the most tickets for the raffle vehicles.

Also, they would like to start doing more educational stuff, both to increase membership and to help educate fourwheelers, including 4x4 classes, winching classes, women only wheeling classes, etc.

nakman
01-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Ige, great stuff thanks for taking the time to write this, and for all the time you've put in with the Association :bowdown:

I agree, Matt's 40 would be perfect at the boat show.

corsair23
01-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Ige, great stuff thanks for taking the time to write this, and for all the time you've put in with the Association :bowdown:

I agree, Matt's 40 would be perfect at the boat show.

x2 on both accounts :thumb:

Mendocino
01-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks Ige. Very informative.:)

Uncle Ben
01-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Thank you Ige! Sure sounds like CA4WDCI is going to try to be as great as Rising Sun someday! ;) :lmao: :thumb::thumb:

Red_Chili
01-19-2009, 10:37 AM
So please, if you lead a run, keep track of the number of folks on that run and turn in your hours. Our hours do not have to be on our adopt a trails only. Anytime you are on any trail, you can claim those hours!
This confuses me.

Trail runs count as volunteer hours?? That would explain the high number of hours by the winning clubs...:confused: I was under the impression that it was shovel time or trash pickup time, and to and from.

nuclearlemon
01-19-2009, 02:05 PM
nope, because you're out there assessing the trail, cleaning up what litter is there, you can easily report on the users out there...it counts as hours.

Red_Chili
01-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Wow, we've been missing a huge number of hours indeed then. I guess I've screwed up, the club should fire me from being Land Use Coordinator...

Oh wait...

Hulk
01-20-2009, 03:00 PM
The 2008 raffle totals were presented. Total income was 23,337.02, expenditures was 21,580.73 for a total income of 1756.29.

They made less than 1,800 bucks? Wow, that seems really disheartening. All that work for such little gain. Rising Sun gave MORE than that to the CoA4WDCi last year from Cruise Moab ($2k), plus we gave another $1k to COHVCO, and we didn't have to build a raffle vehicle. That's dismal results. I feel bad for not selling more tickets. :(

Gail is looking for volunteers for the Rv Sports Boat and Travel show again. The show is March 5th - 8th. Also, Gail will be looking for three vehicles to display. Those vehicles would have to be moved in on the 3rd by noon and you'd be able to pick them up on the 8th. For those with extra vehicles, this would be a place to display a show off a rig that you didn't need to drive that week. I'm thinking Hulk would be a great rig for this event Matt.

Would it be behind some ropes, or will there be kids crawling all over it and inside it for 5 days? Need more details.

nuclearlemon
01-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Would it be behind some ropes, or will there be kids crawling all over it and inside it for 5 days? Need more details.

not behind ropes, but gail is a big stickler about nobody touching the vehicles or climbing in them.