PDA

View Full Version : Families @ CM 09...

Mendocino
01-17-2009, 07:42 PM
I have never been to CM and am considering bring the entire family (wife and three kids; 10, 8, 7). I also have a '40 that only seats two (at least at the moment). Other than the Friday Museum and Picnic outing what other things are there for the wife kids to do?

Also, I have a campsite that is 14x14. I would like to think this is 14 meters x 14 meters but know better;). My wife is concerned about the small site as we usually camp in the back country. I have explained that Slickrock is the CM headquarters but she is still freaked out by the small site (she had to work at a KOA when she was 12 and still has not gotten over it:D).

Are others bringing their families? I'm a bit unsure about how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

:cheers:

MDH33
01-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Tent sites are tiny and close together at slickrock. I would recommend reserving two, side-by-side if you want more room. Or reserve an RV site, which have more room.

If you bring two rigs, your wife and kids can go hike in the parks and explore the area if they don't want to wheel. There are always seats available too if you can't fit everyone in the 40.

:cheers:

Romer
01-17-2009, 08:04 PM
I would recommend renting a pop-up camper and getting an RV site with water and electricity. The family will be much more comfortable. Gives the kids a place to go back to and feel like home.

The tent sites are in feet if I recall

farnhamstj
01-17-2009, 08:07 PM
There will be many, many, kids. We've been bringing ours since they were in the womb. They are now 3 and 4. The camp sites are small but you'll never really in it except to sleep. Lots of wandering around and hanging out in the street/tech/middle grassy areas. We pretty much take over the entire camp ground. There is a pool and swingset. Bring bikes for sure. Kids will be tearing it up and jumping over the tree roots. It's also nice for the wife to be able to bike into town. We bring tonka trucks, remote control cars are popular too. If you are unfamilar with the Moab area, there are suitable hikes/walks nearby, Negro Bill Canyon, Moonbeam canyon. Arches NP is 10min drive from the campground also. The friday dinner is great for kids, arrive early to hang out in your cowboy boots and hat and practice your lasso skills. The raffle runs long for the kids. The days on trail tend to be on the long side so bring food,drinks and warm clothes. Great oportunity to show off your 12v fridge and manifold cooking skills. Top kid friendly run is Elephant hill. Your sig line indicates you own 2 fj40's. One for you('73) One for the wife('75). problem solved.

Jacket
01-17-2009, 10:10 PM
I brought everyone last year (wife + 7 and 4 year old), and they had a blast. There's no question the camping is tight, and people are on top of each other, but you get used to it pretty quickly. I'd never choose to camp there outside of this event, but in terms of feeling like your part of it all, and so your wife and kids can mingle with others of like mind and spirit, it's an overall great experience. My daughter still talks about some of the kids she met on the trails and played with at the swingset. My wife wasn't sure if she'd go on any of the runs - and ended up on two. And they're all coming back for more this year.:)

You always have the option of staying at a nearby hotel, or choosing a different area to camp and then meeting at the campground or at the meeting locations. But I think you'll be Ok at Slickrock - there's something for everyone.

RockRunner
01-18-2009, 10:00 AM
I don't have a family but have seen it from an empty nest view. There were a lot of good comments, these are the ones I think you should look at

Rent two tent sites
bring bikes for the kids or rent
Call the chamber of commerce now and get info
Rent a tent camper ($330) a week
Sign them up for a tour of the area, either by bike or Hummer
Bring rain clothing and stuff to do in the tent
Towels and suit for the pool
A huge wad of cash ;-)
Rent a RV pad, get electricity for a TV

That is all I can think of right now but I am sure there is a ton more to brong or do

corsair23
01-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Jeff,

The wife and girls (now 5 & 9) have been to both CM '07 and CM '08. They like it so much that we are pulling them out of school to attend this year (in the past they were "off track"). We have a popup camper that we drag out to stay in. I'd suggest either getting a couple tent sites together or renting a RV site to pitch the tent in for more room. I wouldn't get a "cabin" if there are still any available because they are small for a family IMO. There is a playground at the campground and a pool. Unless it is really warm though I'd stay away from the pool :hill:

If the wife and kids like sightseeing there is plenty of that to do as well as riding bikes.

Corbet
01-29-2009, 09:22 PM
yes the tent sites are real small but our two 4 legged kids do just fine. Like others have said you really won't spend a lot of time sitting in your own campsite. Even if you do the people on both sides of you will most likely be CM folk so who cares if its small. You can request a specific site too so check out where others are camped ( http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8956 ) if you want to be surrounded by RS members.

The rest of the family should have no problem finding things to do in and around Moab if they choose to skip a run.

Beachboy
02-09-2009, 09:26 PM
My girlfriend and I have been goiing to Moab for years and lived there for a year last year exploring the area. There is alot of things to do for the family and kids, please do not hesitate to look us up or get in contact with us for some ideas for the family, wife or kids. Example, for the kids there are several hikes, short or longer to see dino bones and hundreds of dino footprints. We are not staying at the campground but will be out there a week ahead and hanging around Slickrock most of the time.

gemarsh
03-17-2009, 10:45 PM
This will be my first time there. I will be bring my wife and two boys (4 and 6). They are an adventuresome bunch and we're really excited to be going. The question that I have is how large are the RV sites? I reserved #75 (at least that's what they gave me) and I just want to make sure it will be large enough. By the time I have everything pulled out on the camper it's about 20' X 25'. Also, I understand the overnight run is booked, is anyone interested in going out on Tuesday somewhere? I don't know the area at all but I am anxious to get the trailer out on the trail and do more primitive camping for a night.

corsair23
03-18-2009, 11:01 AM
The question that I have is how large are the RV sites? I reserved #75 (at least that's what they gave me) and I just want to make sure it will be large enough. By the time I have everything pulled out on the camper it's about 20' X 25'.

The RV sites in the center area are large enough for a full size RV plus some. You could call or shoot them an email to get exact dimensions but I imagine you will have plenty of room for both the camper and your rig. Width might be the only concern as it sounds like you are pretty wide...

85Toy
03-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Just wanted to chime in. We will be attending for the first time, including my wife and kids (son 12, daughter 9). Unfortunately my daughter is severly allergic to cottonwood, so we are staying down the street at the Portal RV campground. Anyway, I figure we will spend a lot of time at Slickrock. Are there any trails that are so long or tedious that the family will go nuts??? I want to make this as fun an experience for them as possible...so I get to come back year after year. Cheers and I look forward to meeting many of you.

'85 4Runner with many upgrades...

Corbet
03-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Not signing up to wheel every day is what keeps my wife happy. Spending a day in the middle doing something she wants works for us. There is plenty of fun to be had in Moab.

Jacket
03-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Just wanted to chime in. We will be attending for the first time, including my wife and kids (son 12, daughter 9). Unfortunately my daughter is severly allergic to cottonwood, so we are staying down the street at the Portal RV campground. Anyway, I figure we will spend a lot of time at Slickrock. Are there any trails that are so long or tedious that the family will go nuts??? I want to make this as fun an experience for them as possible...so I get to come back year after year. Cheers and I look forward to meeting many of you.

Kane Creek can be that way, especially if you get backed up on the exit out of the canyon.

MDH33
03-18-2009, 02:13 PM

Welcome to the forum Evergreen neighbor. :thumb:

Golden Spike is said to be a long long day in the seat. Elephant Hill is too, but the scenery and hikes help make it a family friendly day. You might want to skip the hardcore trails too if your family gets bored waiting to clear obstacles. I would pick some more scenic/fun/short trails for the family's first visit to Cruise Moab.

corsair23
03-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Unfortunately my daughter is severly allergic to cottonwood...

Just wondering if she has been tested so you know that? Interested because I always thought I was really allergic to cottonwood and that my 9-yr old was as well. CM '07 the cottonwood was so thick it was drifted like snow (last year there was none...) and we figured we were in trouble. Nothing, no issues, nada. Come to find out it is the pine tree pollen we are allergic to. Just so happens the two tend to pump out their "stuff" around the same time but you can readily see the cottonwood flying...Not so much with the pine tree pollen.

Are there any trails that are so long or tedious that the family will go nuts??? I want to make this as fun an experience for them as possible...so I get to come back year after year. Cheers and I look forward to meeting many of you.

I can tell you what my :Princess: and the 5 & 9 yr old daughters have liked over the last two CM's. Poison Spider (seems to be their fav), Fins & Thing, Porcupine Rim, and Hells Revenge. None of these have proven to be too long or tedious and you are usually back in camp by 3-4pm. We ran Metal Masher last year and we weren't too fond of that one. There were some fun sections like the beginning and mirror gulch but the rest was just ok.

85Toy
03-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Just wondering if she has been tested so you know that? Interested because I always thought I was really allergic to cottonwood and that my 9-yr old was as well. CM '07 the cottonwood was so thick it was drifted like snow (last year there was none...) and we figured we were in trouble. Nothing, no issues, nada. Come to find out it is the pine tree pollen we are allergic to. Just so happens the two tend to pump out their "stuff" around the same time but you can readily see the cottonwood flying...Not so much with the pine tree pollen.

I can tell you what my :Princess: and the 5 & 9 yr old daughters have liked over the last two CM's. Poison Spider (seems to be their fav), Fins & Thing, Porcupine Rim, and Hells Revenge. None of these have proven to be too long or tedious and you are usually back in camp by 3-4pm. We ran Metal Masher last year and we weren't too fond of that one. There were some fun sections like the beginning and mirror gulch but the rest was just ok.

Thank you. Yes, we first ran into the problem last Spring with my daughter. We had her into the doctor and had to keep her in from recess for 2-3 weeks while the cottonwood trees went nuts on the school playground.

Regarding the trails you mention, I think I signed up for Fins&Things, Porcupine Rim and Elephant Hill. Sounds like I should cancel for Elephant Hill. I Didn't print out my choices for each day when I was registering. Is there any way to find out that information? Thanks.

corsair23
03-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Regarding the trails you mention, I think I signed up for Fins&Things, Porcupine Rim and Elephant Hill. Sounds like I should cancel for Elephant Hill. I Didn't print out my choices for each day when I was registering. Is there any way to find out that information? Thanks.

Well, assuming no issues (broken down rigs etc) I would say Porcupine Rim will be your shortest day if you go to the same spot we did and turn around. Fins & Things will be the next shortest. Not long days at all and there are opportunities to get out and stretch a bit on each of those.

As for Elephant Hill. I have yet to run that. I've heard the scenery is spectacular. The problem is that it is so far away from Moab that you have to leave early to get to the trail head (I think it is a 7am or 8am departure from the south side of town) and takes an hour or so to get there. Then run the trail and drive back. It is not unusual for people to not be getting back to camp till 7pm or later. That said, if you and the family don't mind the 2-3 hours of additional driving, I don't think the trail is tedious or long at all. In fact, I think it is one of the highly recommended family trails. CM '07 we were signed up for Elephant Hill on the first day and switched to Porcupine Rim instead because the kids and wife weren't up for the long "commute" to and from the trail. :(

As for what you have been assigned, you could PM Hants and he can probably let you know what you've signed up for but he might not know what the final selections are (assuming you selected 3 choices per day).

MDH33
03-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Elephant Hill is long, but the best scenery, including some hikes. A lot more fun for the family (IMHO) than sitting in a line of rigs waiting for people to clear obstacles.

nakman
03-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Elephant Hill is long, but the best scenery, including some hikes. A lot more fun for the family (IMHO) than sitting in a line of rigs waiting for people to clear obstacles.

I definitely agree with that, and even an easy run like Fins can be just excruciating if the leader isn't keeping eveyone moving- parking to watch 20 trucks go off the same rock gets really old, particularly for the passengers. Porkupine rim is probably one of the better family runs since there really aren't that many obstacles worth stopping and watching.. so it's pretty tough to not keep moving (can still happen though).

I think this is one of the things that has made WipeOut so hill popular, it's definitely one of the reasons that I like it. It's got a faster pace to it than just about every other run out there, and the times you do stop everyone knows it's coming so there aren't as any "ah man, why are we stopping again?" cries from the passenger seat that are almost inevitibale on some of the other runs.. and fins is the worst for that, IMO. But it's also super fun when you are moving, so you kinda need to run it anyway!

and X2 on what Corbet said, "no trail run" is one of the best selections you can do with a family. You're still at the event, but it's still a family vacation and a day to not all be in the car is very well spent.

wthomas
03-27-2009, 10:57 PM

Elephant Hill is worth the drive down there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/wthomas39/Cruiser/0805240021.jpg

pmccumber
03-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Well, we decided to bring our boy (11) and daughter (8) so there will be more children. I originally signed up for two people so I might have to contact somebody to straighten that out. Still one vehicle and the same trails.

My boy will play wiffle ball with anyone interested and the girl will have ponies, Barbies, unicorns, etc. We'll have out popup so any girls that hang out with Lily can wander in there and set up there little fantasy worlds (the whole little girls in the popup thing playing is very common). They both have DS systems too, unfortunately.

farnhamstj
04-07-2009, 07:31 PM
My daughter is also very much into horses, ponies, unicorns, fairies, barbies, anything pink. Mines a little younger but she's not afraid of big kids.

Wthomas. We're also running e-hill saturday. Great kids run. One of the better ones if you ask me. Plenty of get out and climb around on the rocks, ect.

rock_wagon
04-24-2009, 05:12 AM
Last Minute Change... We are bringing the kids out this year also, Son 5, Daughter 8. They are really excited to go, we are on E-hill Saturday as well, they are looking forward to making new friends!:)

farnhamstj
04-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Bikes, Tonka trucks, horses, and fairy princess outfits are all packed we're rolling out in the morning. See you in the desert.