PDA

View Full Version : Now that's a snorkel!

Hulk
01-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Wow. They must go through some really deep water down there in Australia. :eek:

DaveInDenver
01-19-2009, 12:45 PM
That's Milo, Roothy's truck. He's one of the editors of Australian 4WD Monthly. I have a few back issues with pics I think, but here's some videos for now. Yes, being well equipped for submerged driving (or is it powered diving?, anyway see the tailpipe is equally high) and a 3B, he usually is the test mule for river crossings...

About 1:40, at the base of the windscreen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwbKtUD0qIQ

cbmontgo
01-19-2009, 01:32 PM
I think my concern with that rig is that the driver is underwater before the snorkel is!

Caribou Sandstorm
01-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Speaking of Snorkels, is anyone in here really comfortable with this install and willing to help me with mine?

Robbie?

Shark Bait
01-19-2009, 02:44 PM
That could be a heater for the RTT. :D

Corbet
01-19-2009, 03:56 PM
while we drove the Outback on our vacation there were very few bridges as the river beds were dry most of the year. However all had a measuring stick at the deepest point of the crossing. The shortest skick I saw was 1 meter. The tallest was 3M. Our rental had a snorkel.

Jacket
01-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Speaking of Snorkels, is anyone in here really comfortable with this install and willing to help me with mine?

Chris - Do you know Eric Ross (fjcruzer on the forums)? He installed one on his blue FJC, and couple probably give you some tips and tricks. He's down in Denver somewhere - I think on the east side of downtown.

Go grab yourself a BFHS and start drillin'....:D

Caribou Sandstorm
01-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks Matt, yes I know Eric, I will ping him in a bit. Thanks.

See you on Elephant hill if not at a meeting first!

wesintl
01-21-2009, 11:22 AM
That's Milo, Roothy's truck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwbKtUD0qIQ

If he'd had some real tires he wouldn't have got hung up coming out of that one river hole. silly mall terrains, he could have gassed it at the end too to get use his momentum to pop over it.

DaveInDenver
01-21-2009, 11:24 AM
If he'd had some real tires he wouldn't have got hung up coming out of that one river hole. silly mall terrains, he could have gassed it at the end too to get use his momentum to pop over it.
Tires, I'll give ya that one. But gassing it, well it's a non-turbo BJ43 that's well packed (and Roothy isn't svelte exactly). He probably was giving 'er all it had. :-)

wesintl
01-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Could be, There was alot of water weight he pushed up against at the end. Still those tires didn't do him any favors. Some simex centipede's is what he needs :D

I think it's a troopy cut down.

DaveInDenver
01-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Could be, There was alot of water weight he pushed up against at the end. Still those tires didn't do him any favors. Some simex centipede's is what he needs :D

I think it's a troopy cut down.
You might be right, I seem to remember in the foggy depths an article about him doing a whole bunch of body work.

Red_Chili
01-21-2009, 01:19 PM
That could be a heater for the RTT. :D
If you didn't like your camp-mate, and made sure they went to bed quite a bit before you did... :lmao: