PDA

View Full Version : Best Ipod?

Shark Bait
01-21-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm contemplating buying an Ipod. Anywhere from a 8GB Nano up to a 16GB or 32GB Touch. What's the best one to get?

Also, on a related topic, what kind of personal listening devices, i.e. earphones, i should one get to go along with the Ipod? I keep seeing the $90 Bose earbuds, but are they overpriced because of the name? Also, I'd love something noise canceling because I'm on airplanes several hours per week. The Bose versions are $300-$350. :eek:

I figure a bunch of you guys are Ipod owners out there and might have an opinion. :D

Convert
01-21-2009, 09:23 PM
I have a 30GB loaded with everything. There is nothing better than hitting the road and selecting random on the I pod and cruising down the road for a day or two without hearing the same song twice.

Ear buds suck !!! I would spend the dollars on noise canceling headphones That's my 2cent's

bh4rnnr
01-21-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm contemplating buying an Ipod. Anywhere from a 8GB Nano up to a 16GB or 32GB Touch. What's the best one to get?

Also, on a related topic, what kind of personal listening devices, i.e. earphones, i should one get to go along with the Ipod? I keep seeing the $90 Bose earbuds, but are they overpriced because of the name? Also, I'd love something noise canceling because I'm on airplanes several hours per week. The Bose versions are $300-$350. :eek:

I figure a bunch of you guys are Ipod owners out there and might have an opinion. :D

I'm still on, err was using the third gen till it pooped out on me. All I can say is that the I-Pod, until it crapped out, was the best investment I did.

I went through a lot of CD players During Cruise Moab and the Outlaws Run. Once I purchased the I-pod, I was in music heaven.

Apple earphones are ok; just seem to go out quicker than normal. Might be best to invest in something a little longer lasting.

nakman
01-21-2009, 09:40 PM
iPods are great, but my best advice is don't do everything in iTunes. Rip your CD's to .mp3, and store them somewhere else besides iTunes. When you buy music on line, do it from Amazon or somewhere where you can but an mp3 file, and store them somewhere besides iTunes. Just as you won't rip to .wma files to be stuck with Windows media player, don't live in iTunes or you're stuck with your iPod. Only copy things to iTunes when you want them on your iPod, but keep your music elsewhere.

You're going to want to have your music files on multiple computers, your phone, maybe another mp3 player that isn't an iPod, etc. and keeping things out of iTunes will make this a very simple deal. For example I just bought a 4gb micro SD card for my phone and am running that in the car- easy drop and drag from my music files, but impossible if everything was in iTunes. CD's we buy on line from Amazon we can listen to on multipe devices. CD's we have purchased through iTunes can only be heard on the iPod. Ok enough rant, you get the point. :thumb:

Uncle Ben
01-21-2009, 09:41 PM

Chris,
I might easily be convinced to sell you my Touch if your interested. I know the next question is how much and I don't know as I am not into Apple nor to I want to be so I'm not sure what used ones are going for. It is a 32 GB.

Shark Bait
01-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Chris,
I might easily be convinced to sell you my Touch if your interested. I know the next question is how much and I don't know as I am not into Apple nor to I want to be so I'm not sure what used ones are going for. It is a 32 GB.

PM sent.

Shark Bait
01-21-2009, 09:57 PM
iPods are great, but my best advice is don't do everything in iTunes. Rip your CD's to .mp3, and store them somewhere else besides iTunes. When you buy music on line, do it from Amazon or somewhere where you can but an mp3 file, and store them somewhere besides iTunes. Just as you won't rip to .wma files to be stuck with Windows media player, don't live in iTunes or you're stuck with your iPod. Only copy things to iTunes when you want them on your iPod, but keep your music elsewhere.

You're going to want to have your music files on multiple computers, your phone, maybe another mp3 player that isn't an iPod, etc. and keeping things out of iTunes will make this a very simple deal. For example I just bought a 4gb micro SD card for my phone and am running that in the car- easy drop and drag from my music files, but impossible if everything was in iTunes. CD's we buy on line from Amazon we can listen to on multipe devices. CD's we have purchased through iTunes can only be heard on the iPod. Ok enough rant, you get the point. :thumb:

Thanks Tim. So, I should stay away from iTunes? :D I agree. iTunes is a PITA on Windows. :eek:

pmccumber
01-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Nakman was very eloquent on the non-value of the Apple formatted media. Our 4Runner has a USB jack and we can just stick an 8GB USB key in there and play music. If they're in mp3 format, the world is your oyster.

I really like my Archos 605. It is fairly big though so if you plan on slipping it in a pocket, nope. But if you're at work and you want to set it down, that will work.

Here's a review on CNet: http://reviews.cnet.com/portable-video-players-pvps/archos-605-wifi-30gb/4505-6499_7-32477556.html

It has an incredible pixel density (800x480) which is double even the priciest iPhones and iPods. I got the very cheap 4GB version that takes SD cards. It does video extremely well and supports common codecs out of the box (DivX and WMV) and everything else for a small fee. Since the screen is so wide the WiFi browser requires virtually no panning. Plus, you can get an adapter that outputs video to standard RCA inputs in a TV when you're on vacation with the kids. We rip DVDs to it and because the screen has more resolution than standard def TV, they come out really, really well. It does all sorts of other things well to like stream media from Windows and render pictures. My wife and I fight over it to take to the gym when we're doing the stair climber or bike.

But be warned, you have to be a bit of a computer guy to set up and maintain it. And it is NOT a pocket media player.

fzj80fireman
01-22-2009, 01:35 AM
Chris,

iTouch is the way to go. If you are on a plane that often, you can load movies on it and watch a movie when you get tired of listening to music. BTW, Apple is doing away with DRM. So you will be able to load them on other devices.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/01/06itunes.html

Although some people don't like iTunes when they have multiple devices, it still remains the easiest and only way to load music and info on an Apple device. IMO, Apple created the digital music player market and still makes the best quality player hands down. They are easy to use and when taken care of out last any other player. My 2 year old even has an ipod and knows how to navigate around the menus.

http://www.cucusoft.com/ is software to convert your DVD's to iphone/iTouch/iPod format so you can take them with you.

Good luck in your decisions.

Mario

Hulk
01-22-2009, 02:59 AM
I was disappointed when Apple announced the most recent iPod lineup in September. The iPod Classic went from two models at 80 and 160 GB to one model at 120 GB. Essentially, they upgraded the 80 gig model and dropped the fat boy. So I went and purchased a new 160 GB on clearance. I think it is a generation 6 iPod. I also still have my gen 5 iPod (60 GB) which I really love, and my old gen 2 iPod (20 GB) which was cool for the time. I also have a couple of the tiny iPod shuffles, one of which I won in a video game at Red Robin. They are awesome for working out or mowing the lawn.

I'd love an iPod touch, but I will wait until they come out with more storage.
The new iPod Nanos are really cool too.

I have some Bose noise-canceling headphones that have the huge cup that goes completely over your ears. They sound great, but they are too huge to use on a frequent basis. My usual headphones are some Sony ear plug deals that block out almost all external noise just because they fit tight. The VP of my department at WildBlue has the Bose ear buds and he really loves them -- says they were worth the hundred bucks.

Mendocino
01-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Chris,

I have a bout a 32 GB iPOD with some Apple headphones that were about $50 and its great. If I had to do it over I would buy and iPOD with less memory. I just don't need it.

As for noise canceling headphones I fly a lot and bought some knock off NC headphones about three years ago. I have stopped using them because I got tired of hauling them around in addition to the rest of my stuff. Last years I flew well over 100k miles and didn't miss them.
:cheers:

Groucho
01-22-2009, 07:13 AM
Get the iTouch. I have an 8GB and so far have not come close to maxing anything out yet. Movies need to be in a compressed format so they don't take up that much space, but this is one of the options of the iTouch I liked when choosing. The others were the ability to download the Remote application which allows my iTouch to be my remote for iTunes and my AppleTV as long as my wireless is working (which it does great).

CardinalFJ60
01-22-2009, 08:06 AM
I have the 16gb Touch. It's just plain cool. I see the merits of what Nakman says about Itunes...It can be a pain at times to not have your music in MP3.

Personally, I dig iTunes - mostly because it's really easy and have lots of fun stuff to choose from. I don't Bit-torrent or anything like that so itunes is my place to sample, purchase and search out new music (the genius feature IS just that, genius. IMO) I also like the fact I can rent movies buy movies and TV shows. I plug my iPod into the TV and play them off that quite frequently. I pretty much live out of iTunes for my music and movies.

if you travel and are near a hotspot then you can surf the web, too.

and to Nak's point...I actually run a redudant music library in MP3 format. ;)

Hadphones: Check out "AblePlanet" brand headphones. They are a local Colorado company that makes high end noise cancelling headphones. I have a pair and they are great. Also not $350. I think it's ableplanet.com

DaveInDenver
01-22-2009, 08:26 AM
I bought a 3rd gen iPod when I got this job, back in 2003. It's a 15GB, works fine still although the battery is starting to lose capacity. We use it all the time on road trips. Then I went and bought a iPhone last summer, 8GB model. Coolest gadget yet. The GPS thing is pretty alright. This is the first GPS I've ever owned, so it's still pretty fun just to punch it up and see it home in on you. Anyway, 8GB, 15GB, it's all a compromise IMO. If you want a music player, get something with tons of capacity. But then again I might be something of an exception, I have a 400GB music drive and right around 12,000 songs.

As far as iTunes, I think it's a fine program and does what it says. You can rip your personal CDs to MP3 in it (which I do since my truck radio plays MP3 CDs) or Apple's AAC, Lossless or AIFF. When you buy music from Apple you can sometimes get their AAC Plus, which is 256Kbps and has no DRM, which you can convert to MP3 if you wish (there is some fidelity loss, though in a 128Kbps MP3 you won't notice). BTW, both WMA and AAC are just extensions on the MP4 codec, nothing particularly exotic. They really are a better compression algorithm than MP3.

If you get their regular AAC at 128Kbps it will usually have DRM, which a little birdie figured out how to strip off. Not that I would ever advocate such a heinous thing. You can also get the DRM-protected music into MP3 by burning the music to an audio CD and re-rip the music to MP3. I dunno about Windows, but on the Mac iTunes' organization is pretty intuitive and I drop and drag music into Toast to make MP3 CDs. On my Mac the files sit like:

Music HD -> iTunes -> Artist -> Album -> Song

Understanding the iTunes DB (the .itl and itdb files) though, how the program itself organizes and finds files, is an act is self punishment.

nuclearlemon
01-22-2009, 08:47 AM
don't know how much music you have. i got the one that does video and it's not quite big enough for all my tunes.

what's everyone got against itunes:confused:

nakman
01-22-2009, 08:58 AM
what's everyone got against itunes:confused:

The only real beef is ability to have your music files on multiple, non-iPod devices. If you're a wizz like Dave this is apparentlyless of an issue and work-aroundable, but for some of us luddites it's better to just avoid it unless your one and only device is an iPod.

Like Cardinal, I've got a directory of mp3's. I then drag those into iTunes to be loaded on the iPods. Not every music file gets put on the iPod, though, but iTunes is the necessary means to get it there.

Any my next iPod is a touch for sure, I messed with theboomboom's a little bit and though it was way cool. :thumb:

DaveInDenver
01-22-2009, 09:05 AM
The only real beef is ability to have your music files on multiple, non-iPod devices. If you're a wizz like Dave this is apparentlyless of an issue and work-aroundable, but for some of us luddites it's better to just avoid it unless your one and only device is an iPod.
You can manage multiple Apple junk with iTunes, but it you have non-Apple junk then I agree that iTunes blows.

pmccumber
01-22-2009, 10:03 AM
I worked on a MIPS derivative cpu that had extensions to do the intensive codec related processing of video for a couple years at AMD. We had all the big players on board with our part except Apple and that was because had not yet entered the market in video.

I still think Apple has the nicest and easiest to use systems.

But if you're willing to babysit you portable media player a little, you can get some incredible players with much better screens that do flash, wmv, divx, mpeg2, mpeg4, h264, and on for 2/3 price. I mentioned that Archos but Cowon has a really nice one too.

It comes from the Asian markets where digital broadcast tv scalled to 1/4 VGA (320x240) has been around for 10 years. Plus, they're not bashful about stealing IP. A Korean subway you'll see every person sitting with a PMP. We're starting to see the value of 3G and video.

If you want a seamless system that always works, iTouch. But there are PMPs out there that are vastly superior in video quality for much less.

I'll bring my PMP to the next meeting and anyone who is interested can have a look.

pmccumber
01-22-2009, 10:12 AM
It's interesting because we have two iPods and I LOVE working on computers but I have very little tolerance for thumping around menus trying to figure out something like iTunes. I would much rather rip audio or video and have them on the filesystem and simply load them how I please rather than navigating around some arcane GUI. Maybe iTunes is the best arcane GUI but having the mp3s in a directory is EASY.

Another example is stuffing about 20 albums worth of mp3 on a 3 cent CD and playing it on any boombox or car audio that is newer than 5 years. Try that with Apple formatted media!

leiniesred
01-22-2009, 01:32 PM
I have an Apple Newton 2100 running MadMax to play MP3s.

The internal storage is 4MB, so I can listen to the same song over and over as many times as I want.

I also have the plugin installed so I can sync my Newton to Itunes 2.0!

The Newton has a built in 1 inch speaker so I don't even need headphones. In fact, the speaker is so great that there isn't even a headphone jack on the Newton. Who needs it!

nuclearlemon
01-22-2009, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=nakman;95359]The only real beef is ability to have your music files on multiple, non-iPod devices. QUOTE]

ok, i only use ipod so i guess i'm good to go.

nuclearlemon
01-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Another example is stuffing about 20 albums worth of mp3 on a 3 cent CD and playing it on any boombox or car audio that is newer than 5 years. Try that with Apple formatted media!

i guess i find itunes easy, but maybe because i'm not a computer person. i have burned discs though and they play just fine in all my cd players, which have all been purchased within the last five years. my boombox is too old to play mp3s.:confused:

Hulk
01-22-2009, 02:27 PM

It's easy to set iTunes so that it creates MP3s from your CDs rather than AAC files. I started doing this in 2002.

It should also be noted that Apple has killed all DRM in the iTunes store. You can even pay a 30% fee (of what you originally paid for music downloaded from Apple) and have all your purchases converted to higher bit-rate, no DRM files. Now that DRM is gone, I bet many other music players will support AAC files, if they don't already.

I hardly ever buy tunes from iTunes anyway. I prefer variable bit-rate MP3s (V0) for most of my tunes.

Dude, that's so easy to do from iTunes (on a Mac or PC). I do it all the time. I usually get about 130 MP3 files on a single CD, which I throw in my CD player in my 80 (note: Land Cruiser content!).

I don't think there is such a thing as an Apple-formatted CD -- they ended the practice with 3.5" floppies.

I have an Apple Newton 2100 running MadMax to play MP3s. The internal storage is 4MB, so I can listen to the same song over and over as many times as I want.

Dude, you are so Old Skool. :bowdown:

Rudy wins, thread over.

pmccumber
01-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Dude, that's so easy to do from iTunes (on a Mac or PC). I do it all the time. I usually get about 130 MP3 files on a single CD, which I throw in my CD player in my 80 (note: Land Cruiser content!).

I don't think there is such a thing as an Apple-formatted CD -- they ended the practice with 3.5" floppies.

See, you learn something every day. I was referring to the default Apple format, AAC. Try throwing those onto a CD and sliding it into anything (although more and more support it now, like Sony), but they won't play on our '04 4Runner much less my '95 80. But I should have known this audience would have figured out all this; the median here is at least 2 sigma above average ;) . And btw, that format isn't just Apple, but it isn't as ubiquitous as mp3.

And that is kinda the point here, it is the form the media is stored in that matters to me. At that point, throw 10 albums worth on a 3 penny CD or 16gB worth on a USB drive and you're good to go. Then the discriminator for me is driven by what *else* does it do, like really good video.

PabloCruise
01-22-2009, 03:00 PM

Agreed.

iTunes consistently finds new ways to piss me off...

PabloCruise
01-22-2009, 03:03 PM
I bought a 3rd gen iPod when I got this job, back in 2003. It's a 15GB, works fine still although the battery is starting to lose capacity. We use it all the time on road trips. Then I went and bought a iPhone last summer, 8GB model. Coolest gadget yet. The GPS thing is pretty alright. This is the first GPS I've ever owned, so it's still pretty fun just to punch it up and see it home in on you. Anyway, 8GB, 15GB, it's all a compromise IMO. If you want a music player, get something with tons of capacity. But then again I might be something of an exception, I have a 400GB music drive and right around 12,000 songs.

As far as iTunes, I think it's a fine program and does what it says. You can rip your personal CDs to MP3 in it (which I do since my truck radio plays MP3 CDs) or Apple's AAC, Lossless or AIFF. When you buy music from Apple you can sometimes get their AAC Plus, which is 256Kbps and has no DRM, which you can convert to MP3 if you wish (there is some fidelity loss, though in a 128Kbps MP3 you won't notice). BTW, both WMA and AAC are just extensions on the MP4 codec, nothing particularly exotic. They really are a better compression algorithm than MP3.

If you get their regular AAC at 128Kbps it will usually have DRM, which a little birdie figured out how to strip off. Not that I would ever advocate such a heinous thing. You can also get the DRM-protected music into MP3 by burning the music to an audio CD and re-rip the music to MP3. I dunno about Windows, but on the Mac iTunes' organization is pretty intuitive and I drop and drag music into Toast to make MP3 CDs. On my Mac the files sit like:

Music HD -> iTunes -> Artist -> Album -> Song

Understanding the iTunes DB (the .itl and itdb files) though, how the program itself organizes and finds files, is an act is self punishment.

Most of the time you are stuck with AAC, which iTunes will not convert to MP3

:mad:

Now I realize that much of this has been pushed down from the music industry, but I find much of iTunes in contrast to the indy vibe that flocks to Apple products...

I think iPod is a fine product, but dislike iTunes and all the intrusive registering and authorization that comes with it.

Hulk
01-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Now I realize that much of this has been pushed down from the music industry, but I find much of iTunes in contrast to the indy vibe that flocks to Apple products...

I think iPod is a fine product, but dislike iTunes and all the intrusive registering and authorization that comes with it.

Do what I do: use iTunes to manage your music, but buy it elsewhere in a more universal format. You don't even need to register if you never use the iTunes store.

DaveInDenver
01-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Most of the time you are stuck with AAC, which iTunes will not convert to MP3
I cornfused, it's right on the 'Advanced' tab to convert AAC to MP3. It's grayed out if the AAC came from iTunes Music Store and still has a DRM lock on it. But you can burn an audio CD and import it right back in as an MP3.

Hulk
01-22-2009, 03:19 PM
See, you learn something every day. I was referring to the default Apple format, AAC. Try throwing those onto a CD and sliding it into anything (although more and more support it now, like Sony), but they won't play on our '04 4Runner much less my '95 80. But I should have known this audience would have figured out all this; the median here is at least 2 sigma above average ;) . And btw, that format isn't just Apple, but it isn't as ubiquitous as mp3.

And that is kinda the point here, it is the form the media is stored in that matters to me. At that point, throw 10 albums worth on a 3 penny CD or 16gB worth on a USB drive and you're good to go. Then the discriminator for me is driven by what *else* does it do, like really good video.

This brought up a question for me: if the file is stored as an AAC, will iTunes convert it to an MP3 when creating an MP3 CD? I think the answer is yes:

Hulk
01-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Dave, I want to know what's in the playlist labeled "I must not think bad thoughts."

DaveInDenver
01-22-2009, 03:50 PM
This brought up a question for me: if the file is stored as an AAC, will iTunes convert it to an MP3 when creating an MP3 CD? I think the answer is yes:
I'm not sure it converts them to MP3, I believe iTunes uses the euphemistic 'MP3 CD' to mean a CD-ROM of digital music. The times I've tried it it put the original files in AAC or MP3 as they were in the library.

The playlist is from Genius based on the X song. Attached the export of the playlist. BTW, it's ugly, best to open it in Excel and format based on tab (I think) delimitation.

Edit: Attached Excel screenshot.

PabloCruise
01-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Do what I do: use iTunes to manage your music, but buy it elsewhere in a more universal format. You don't even need to register if you never use the iTunes store.

Noted - will do.

I thought Genius sounded interesting, until, guess what? You have to register for that!!!

PabloCruise
01-22-2009, 10:14 PM
I cornfused, it's right on the 'Advanced' tab to convert AAC to MP3. It's grayed out if the AAC came from iTunes Music Store and still has a DRM lock on it. But you can burn an audio CD and import it right back in as an MP3.

Yes, you can burn audio CD and then re-enter all the file info b/c iTunes will not do tags...

Why is that?

PabloCruise
01-22-2009, 10:15 PM

I do not think so. But I have also just about eliminated all my AAC files...

DaveInDenver
01-23-2009, 06:10 AM
Yes, you can burn audio CD and then re-enter all the file info b/c iTunes will not do tags...

Why is that?
That is weird. Do you have Windows? I have a Mac and when I burn a playlist using iTunes to audio CD it includes all the CD Text on the CD just like when you do a Gracenote loop up. So the MP3 tags are filled in when I re-import to MP3. I have to download the album art again, though. If the tags didn't make it across that would be a PITA fer sure.

nuclearlemon
01-23-2009, 09:38 AM
hmmm...i have to manually change my files to aac? is that because the new computer has the latest version of itunes?

don't know how the other computer was set up. should know when root comes over to transfer my other hard drive.

Hulk
01-23-2009, 05:05 PM
hmmm...i have to manually change my files to aac? is that because the new computer has the latest version of itunes?

don't know how the other computer was set up. should know when root comes over to transfer my other hard drive.

Looks like you've been using MP3 instead of AAC already. Leave what you got.

Romer
01-23-2009, 05:35 PM
My music library has been converted to MP3's. Even if I buy a few songs on I tunes, I convert them to MP3's. I use iTunes to load the MP3's on my 3rd gen ipod and use that in the Glove box with the Scion radio.

For travel, I bought a 4GB mini mem card for my Blackberry and loaded it full of MP3's. When I travel on Business, my Blackberry is my MP3 player. When I drive, the ipod in my car drives the Stereo.

I have a set of the Bose Noise canceling headphones and they are great but very pricey. I also have a set of Sinehouser noise canceling headphones I got on ebay for less than $100 and they are almost as good. Awesome for business travel and cuts down on the engine drone of the plane.

I didn't really address which is the best ipod, but maybe the above will help you. I know you have a blackberry and if your using it for business travel, it would cut down on bringing an extra device.

There is another cool feature using google mobile and loading google maps and enabling it on your phone. It pinpoints where you are and helps with directions when you need it.

Shark Bait
02-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Thanks. I ended up with the 32GB iPod Touch, 2nd gen. I like it because I can watch movies and TV shows & stuff. And you can put apps on it just like the iPhone.

Besides the iTunes store, where's a good place to rent movies for your iPod? All the talk about Netflix reminded me that I've been meaning to ask.