PDA

View Full Version : How to Mount Jerry Cans to a 40?

LETSROLL
01-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Hi All,

Does anyone have a suggestion on who has the best Jerry Can holder designed for a 40? I've seen lots of websites with custom holders, but they all require you to attach them to a roof rack, or custom bumper, or custom swing arm. My 40 is stock and I'd like to keep it that way as much as possible.

Thanks, Letsroll

MDH33
01-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Hi All,

Does anyone have a suggestion on who has the best Jerry Can holder designed for a 40? I've seen lots of websites with custom holders, but they all require you to attach them to a roof rack, or custom bumper, or custom swing arm. My 40 is stock and I'd like to keep it that way as much as possible.

Thanks, Letsroll

I used to have a kayline jerrycan holder that attached to the spare. Worked great on the '78 FJ40 I had then with the tube-style spare carrier.

I'm running a soft top currently, so I just strap them inside along the wheel well between the rollbar.

LETSROLL
01-23-2009, 10:29 AM
I checked out Kayline's webite and it said thy were bought by STC. The website routed me to STC where their website said they were now closed, too. Bummer! Any other suggestions?

MDH33
01-23-2009, 10:49 AM
I checked out Kayline's webite and it said thy were bought by STC. The website routed me to STC where their website said they were now closed, too. Bummer! Any other suggestions?

OopS! I meant Kaymar. :)

LETSROLL
01-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Great stuff. Thanks!

Rezarf
01-24-2009, 09:59 AM
If you can wait, every once in a while I see the old Con-ferr can holders that attach to the rear spare tire carrier with no mods come up on Ebay.

Easy item for any fab shop to create.

Drew

Hulk
01-26-2009, 01:26 AM
If you can wait, every once in a while I see the old Con-ferr can holders that attach to the rear spare tire carrier with no mods come up on Ebay.

Easy item for any fab shop to create.

Drew

I managed to snap one of these on the way back from Moab one year. It was hanging by a thread. Glad it didn't snap all the way in two, otherwise the vehicles behind me would have been dodging a full jerry can of gasoline.

My point? Not a Hulk-recommended item. :mad:

MDH33
01-26-2009, 08:51 AM
They're certainly not the best method for sure. The extra weight has also been known to break the tire carrier mounts and if the sheet metal on your tub isn't up to the task.. :eek:

I've seen the type that bolts to the side of the tub as well. Might be better, but would require some drilling.

zornff
01-28-2009, 08:18 AM
These are sweet. i bought some from a guy on mud and the are very stout. http://www.adventuretrailers.com/fuel.html

LETSROLL
01-28-2009, 06:37 PM
I saw those, too. But how di you mount them?

zornff
01-28-2009, 09:56 PM
They mount on either side, or through the bottom. Guess it depends on ones particular set up.