PDA

View Full Version : FJ60 drivers, watch out for the PoPo

MDH33
01-23-2009, 12:02 PM
If you're driving slow (top speed in my 60 up the hills is about 30mph), you could soon be breaking the law. :mad:

Bill punishing slow drivers moves forward (http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_11537442)

The House has given tentative approval to a bill that would punish drivers who drive slowly and leave five or more cars stuck behind them in traffic.

Under the proposed law, violators could be punished with a $50 fine and three points on their licenses.

Opponents say large trucks would have a hard time complying on narrow mountain roads. It faces a third reading before it goes to the Senate.

The House rejected an amendment that would exempt trucks carrying hazardous materials after supporters said they are covered by current laws against impeding traffic. Supporters said the new law would give authorities a standard to use when applying current laws.

Azrael
01-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Nothing wrong with this, IMO. My understanding of the law is that the slow driver must pull over to let faster vehicles by when it is safe to do so. So on single lane roads, the police don't want someone pulling over in an unsafe area, and won't be ticketing for that.

This is just a basic level of road etiquette and common sense that is being put into law because not enough people can achieve it on their own.

Bruce Miller
01-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Nothing wrong with this, IMO. I think it's another reason for the LEO to pull us over and inspect our vehicles for seat belts, alcohol, drugs, weapons, etc. It's a searches and seizure thing. Let's hope it doesn't make it into law.

SROR/AKA 2BAD
01-23-2009, 07:21 PM
i thought it has been the law for a long time that slower drivers in the mountains needed to pull over when they had 5 or so cars behind them.

bh4rnnr
01-23-2009, 08:09 PM
I think it's another reason for the LEO to pull us over and inspect our vehicles for seat belts, alcohol, drugs, weapons, etc. It's a searches and seizure thing. Let's hope it doesn't make it into law.

I got pulled over on I-25 back in the day while driving the Saab (not one straight panel on it, no thanks to my brother). They searched my car for no reason. I talked to them about how cold it was that night. They found nothing and sent me on my way. I got home that night and remembered about the 6pack sitting in the back. I was underage at the time. Still doesn’t make sense to me.

Groucho
01-23-2009, 08:35 PM
I got pulled over on I-25 back in the day while driving the Saab (not one straight panel on it, no thanks to my brother). They searched my car for no reason. I talked to them about how cold it was that night. They found nothing and sent me on my way. I got home that night and remembered about the 6pack sitting in the back. I was underage at the time. Still doesn’t make sense to me.

Another example why it is important to watch this video
Busted: Citizens guide to surviving a police encounter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA)

Rezarf
01-24-2009, 09:03 AM
I saw that one on the news, what a crock.

So now when I tow the trailer with the 40 up to Estes, and take that 2 lane hwy 36 section I will need to drive on the shoulder instead of the pavement. I try to pull over when there is a pile up behind me, but perhaps they should start with tougher laws for the kids in Suburau WRX's that try to get up the hills at 75 when the posted speed limit is 45-50mph.

I don't want to hold folks up, but I am certainly not pulling over ever 3 turns for all the other folks who are breaking the law by speeding!

Drew