PDA

View Full Version : So is Blago crazy?

bh4rnnr
01-23-2009, 09:24 PM
It's, if anything, been fun to watch.

What's your take on this crazy guy?

Story (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28808023)

nuclearlemon
01-23-2009, 10:15 PM
nope just a crooked ignorant politician

Hulk
01-24-2009, 12:24 AM
He's probably self delusional but legally sane.

Mendocino
01-24-2009, 09:04 PM

Isn't that a bit redundant?

Bruce Miller
01-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Selling political favors is what politics in America is all about. The governor of Illinois is not guilty of anything more than what most all politicians do every day. If politics were fair, then hundreds of members of the U.S. Congress, and the administration, should be treated exactly the same way that Blagojevich is being treated.

DaveInDenver
01-25-2009, 10:55 AM
She's just saying the same thing triple redundantly, you know, for SEU immunity. I mean you can take any two of the three and it will apply to anyone in Washington, right?

Chris
01-25-2009, 10:58 AM
The key defense Blago has is that he just talked about selling the vacant seat. He never made an offer to anyone that we've been made aware of at least. Nothing illegal about talking BS.

Red_Chili
01-25-2009, 06:51 PM
He's crazy like a fox. Watch, he will keep spouting the same line until it begins to wear a groove in SOMEone's brain.

Really, he has no other option. Except admit what he (and his wife) did was wrong. Don't hold your breath. Even his defense attorney gave up.

bh4rnnr
01-25-2009, 07:31 PM
He's crazy like a fox. Watch, he will keep spouting the same line until it begins to wear a groove in SOMEone's brain.

Really, he has no other option. Except admit what he (and his wife) did was wrong. Don't hold your breath. Even his defense attorney gave up.

Narcissim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism)

Red_Chili
01-26-2009, 11:07 AM
You nailed it, but when I use psychiatric terms people go all glazed over and stuff.

Add a dose of sociopathy (conscience-lessness) and you have the man in a nutshell.

Hulk
01-26-2009, 01:21 PM

Selling political favors is what politics in America is all about. The governor of Illinois is not guilty of anything more than what most all politicians do every day. If politics were fair, then hundreds of members of the U.S. Congress, and the administration, should be treated exactly the same way that Blagojevich is being treated.

So...

Last year, a friend of mine was encouraging me to run for the city council of Centennial. I considered it, attended a city council meeting, and ultimately determined that while I was interested, the time wasn't right -- yet. I still may be interested in doing this in the future.

If I run for city council and win, then I'm a politician, right? Does that automatically make me a crook?

No, you might say, not at that level.

What if I do a good job, and have an opportunity to run for mayor? Or state senate? Will winning such an office corrupt me? Or will I get into it, only to find out that the system disgusts me, and I'll quit after one term and go back to the private sector?

I guess my question is this: do you folks really think all politicians are corrupt? After all, every politician is someone's brother, friend, father, mother, daughter, cousin... I'm sure some of them are absolutely wretched people, but I must believe many of them are good folks, like me -- or at least they were when they started out.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Harry S. Truman

DaveInDenver
01-26-2009, 01:31 PM
What if I do a good job, and have an opportunity to run for mayor? Or state senate? Will winning such an office corrupt me? Or will I get into it, only to find out that the system disgusts me, and I'll quit after one term and go back to the private sector?

I guess my question is this: do you folks really think all politicians are corrupt? After all, every politician is someone's brother, friend, father, mother, daughter, cousin... I'm sure some of them are absolutely wretched people, but I must believe many of them are good folks, like me -- or at least they were when they started out.

I think there are lots of civic minded people who do their part. They are not corrupt and are in fact exactly what the idea of a leader should be.

I think where your hypothetic falls apart is that it's extremely rare that a person can progress beyond local politics (city council, school board, maybe state government) without playing the game. You have to have the money, the right friends, etc. Even at the national level I think there are people who are true to their beliefs, but they are so rarely heard because the stream of media is just as fixed against honesty as anything.

Ron Paul says and votes what he thinks is right (forget if you agree with him or not, he has been consistent for 20 years and well qualified to discuss his beliefs) but he got zero air time and they shut him out of the debates. Had he been let into the Republican debates he would have made the mass media friendly candidates look like the spine-less, uninformed dolts they are.

I'm sure the Democrats and other Republicans who threw their hats into the presidential ring were also less corrupted, but we ended up with Obama/McCain. No way in God's green Earth could I conceive of two less qualified people to be the main candidates. Please. You have to check your morals and beliefs at the door to succeed on the national stage.

So, yes, I believe that the vast majority of Federal executive and Congress, probably even the legislative, are corrupted to some extent. You simply don't advance to that level anymore without having the right connections within the parties.

Look at who the 'change' candidate brought in to change the way Washington works, a bunch of retreads from previous administrations. A lot of political favors being paid off, not to mention that Obama got to the point he did so quickly because he played the game well. He is not an outsider from the Chicago machine and got into the Washington vibe pretty quick. Just 3 months as a Senator before becoming a presidential candidate...

Kiowa Kate
01-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Matt,

FWIW, I threw my hat into the County Commissioner race in 2006. I did it for a couple of reasons. One was to give the people a choice compared to the "good ol' boy" status quo and the other was to try to bring some fiscal responsibility to the job. As a newcomer to the area, I got 35.5% of the vote.

There is a lot of power at the local level. Their main job is to protect their tax base which would mean keeping the feds and their regulations at arms length from county citizens. They can do this via the "coordination" process. To find out more about this your can go to Steward of the Range (https://www.stewards.us/).

Even though I didn't win the election, I continue to attend the commissioner meetings when I can and try to keep them on the right track.

Give it a shot. It is quite an education.

Barbara

P.S. Happy Birthday!