PDA

View Full Version : furnace no worky

timmbuck2
01-26-2009, 07:32 PM
came home to a 58 degree house...furnace just won't kick on...pilotless system, followed the directions 3 times to "prepare furnace for operation" but still nothing. programmable thermostat installed 8 years ago or so...any ideas or guys you trust to look at it? both boys have room heaters, family room has baseboard heat, have a gas fireplace and a wood burning fireplace so we should be ok for tonight. sigh...

thanks
threeothree six1nine 4oseven5

Timm

Nemo
01-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Give us a little more information like what it does when you try and get it to kick on. Any fans running or does it act like it wants to. You can get a volt meter and make sure your getting volts to the igniter. I would guess the obvious is the igniter isn't providing the fire. Those are the most likely to go. Other than that the safety switch where the access panel is can go but not as often.

rover67
01-26-2009, 08:01 PM
check the ignitor... pretty cheap part.

yo umay be able to light it by hand to at least get some heat tonight...

rover67
01-26-2009, 08:03 PM
The ignitor should be pretty easy to find if you take the cover off of the thing... it's a litte ceramic looking thing with two wires coming out of it near teh manifold. the cover may even show where it is. When the heater tries to start it should glow REALLY brightly. so brightly in fact that yo umay be able to see the glow with the cover on..

timmbuck2
01-26-2009, 08:24 PM
thanks all

When the thermostat clicks on, nothing at all happens at the furnace. Usually some kind of fan turns on for a minute or 2 before the main blower kicks on, but now nothing at all happens. The auto/man switch on the furnace works, the fan only kicks on when I turn it to man. According to the directions it is an auto-pilot and I cannot light it manually....

thanks everyone, I really appreciate it

T

wesintl
01-26-2009, 08:31 PM
It's probably the ignitor or the vent. IIRC it won't kick on if there is too much C0.

http://www.arnoldservice.com/bryant%20carrier%20ignitor%20LH33ZS004%20all.JPG

Romer
01-26-2009, 08:32 PM
You check breakers?

I had a switch on my furnace when bumped would make it work the way you say

I had an older furnace, that would not come on if the front panel where the filter went in wasn't closed all the way.

Something is keeping it from kicking on; a relay, fuse, broken wire, defective part. Maybe there is a way to jumper it on at the furnace, don't know enough about them to tell you how, but since it takes the signal from the few wires at the thermostat it would make sense

Found this in a google search, http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heating-air-conditioning/furnace-wont-stay-46468.html

I would get a few of your faucets to drip so they don't freeze while you work this.

art hog
01-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Is the vent on the roof covered with snow? Mine failed to work when I shut it off over night and it snowed and covered the vent. Another time when I was getting a new roof the roofer removed the vent and there wasn't enough to create a draft and the furnace would not start. But it is probably the ignitor.

kvanoort
01-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Call Darren at 303-990-6057 or 303-472-0868. He is a friend of my neighbor and helped me out this past summer when our furnace died.

timmbuck2
01-26-2009, 11:37 PM
well it is working for now....and stupid me did 2 things at once and now sure which fixed it. I did the "restart" thing again, but this time noticed it said to turn the thermostat to OFF first. I also removed the air filter...I am way overdue on replacing it and wondered if that was causing an air flow or CO2 problem. After I turned everything back on it seemed to not work, but a few minutes later it kicked on and is back to normal. Thanks all...I appreciate it so much. I will probably still have it looked at but I am happy the boys (and me!) will be warm tonight.

timmbuck2
01-28-2009, 08:24 AM
well it stopped working again sometime last night. I did all the same things to reset it, to no avail. any furnace guys better than others to call this morning??

thanks

T

Uncle Ben
01-28-2009, 08:30 AM
well it stopped working again sometime last night. I did all the same things to reset it, to no avail. any furnace guys better than others to call this morning??

thanks

T

I really like Precision Plumbing and Heating (http://www.precisionplumbing.com/)! Being in property management quirky heaters are a line item for me. I have used countless companies and individuals and while their quotes and promises usually come in much cheaper than Precision's I have found that it equals out in the end and the repair is done right the first time. YRMV

timmbuck2
01-28-2009, 10:05 AM
I really like Precision Plumbing and Heating (http://www.precisionplumbing.com/)! Being in property management quirky heaters are a line item for me. I have used countless companies and individuals and while their quotes and promises usually come in much cheaper than Precision's I have found that it equals out in the end and the repair is done right the first time. YRMV

Thanks UB! Calling them now

T

Hulk
01-28-2009, 11:45 AM
If that doesn't work out, I have used this company for years:

Moore Heating and Air Conditioning
Denver, CO
303-680-5300
http://www.mooreheatingac.com

I have recommended them to many friends, and all have been satisfied.

timmbuck2
01-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Precision does not service Denver, they suggested Applewood.

Inducer fan is seized....or at least intermittent. Applewood wants $900 for the part and installation, blames expensive Lennox parts. Of course they won't install the part if I find it cheaper. Suggestions??

T

PabloCruise
01-28-2009, 01:26 PM
When was the last time you cleaned your flame sensor?

PabloCruise
01-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Inducer fan is seized....

T

Ugh, sorry...

timmbuck2
01-28-2009, 01:29 PM
:)

Final tally is $1250 for parts and labor. I will try and figure out part numbers tonight. Sigh.

T

timmbuck2
01-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Guess I will just pony up for a new furnace. yay. anyone buy one recently from someone they liked?

corsair23
01-30-2009, 05:14 PM
Guess I will just pony up for a new furnace. yay. anyone buy one recently from someone they liked?

Bummer Timm...

No suggestions on where to buy a new furnace (haven't had to go there yet) but I did just pick up a brand new 50 gal Kenmore water heater (last year's Power Miser 9 model) for under $40 :rolleyes: - Hoping the complaints I read online are the exception rather than the rule with it...

PabloCruise
01-30-2009, 05:20 PM
:)

Final tally is $1250 for parts and labor. I will try and figure out part numbers tonight. Sigh.

T

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Dude, sorry...