PDA

View Full Version : Snow Run Sunday 2/1/09?

subzali
01-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Anybody interested in hitting up Yankee Hill or similar this Sunday? I've been itching to get the Cruiser out in the snow, and not that I have the charging system under control and have a spare day I'm hoping to get out there.

I wouldn't be opposed to Switzerland Trail or Castle Gulch either, if I can get interest from one of you northern boys.

Meet at Home Depot in Boulder at 8:30 am, roll at 9:00 am Sunday 2/1
CB4, Simplex 146.460

As always, hard recovery points are preferred, but I'm not going to stop you from coming if you don't have them. My back end doesn't have excellent recovery points, but I've put it to pretty hard use so far with no ill effects. You/we will just have to use good judgment out on the trail as far as recovery situations go.

All I ask is that people be smart: bring food, water, shovels, any recovery gear you might have, warm clothes, etc. And then my other requirement is to have fun.

Air Randy
01-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Matt,

I might be up for it if the conditions aren't too rugged and if we get enough people to go to ensure adequate rescue vehicles if required:hill:

This would be the first wheeling trip for my 40 since I tore it all apart and put it back together. I think it's ready to go but you know how it can be on first shake down cruises.................

Boulder Cruiser
01-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Ide be down to go up to Switzerland.

subzali
01-27-2009, 01:44 PM
sweet, I'm comfortable with three, though I'm probably going to be the smallest one there (stock springs and 31x10.5).

Randy, do you have a tow rig/trailer just in case? There's places to leave it in Boulder and it's just a short drive up Boulder Canyon to the trailhead, so as long as we can drag it off the trail it'll be fine :p:

Anybody else?

RicardoJM
01-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Anybody else?

What is the timetable like? How difficult will the trail be? Having taken the Bronco out on the SNP run, I would be interested in seeing how the 40 does. My 40 is stock w/ 31" tires and I would not want to become a burden, that said I don't mind hanging out once I've gone as far as I can go while others push their own limits.

subzali
01-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Morning (8:30-9:00 am start I would hope), probably get back early afternoon (though with the drive you might miss the start of the Superbowl, which doesn't bother me but for some it's a consideration I'm sure). From what I know/remember of the trail, it's just a dirt road for a ways, then maybe some patches of snow, and then all the sudden big drifts. So everyone gets a chance to hit the big drifts, then maybe explore some other branch roads, then turn around and come home.

you're the same as me except for the locker and aggressiveness of the tires, I would say you're welcome to come along and see what she can do!

MDH33
01-27-2009, 02:31 PM
What is the timetable like? How difficult will the trail be? Having taken the Bronco out on the SNP run, I would be interested in seeing how the 40 does. My 40 is stock w/ 31" tires and I would not want to become a burden, that said I don't mind hanging out once I've gone as far as I can go while others push their own limits.

I might try to make this too. That would be a pretty good showing of 40's!

Ricardo, I have some 31" chains you're welcome to try out if you bring your 40. When I ran 31's on my 40, I made it through some pretty deep snow.

subzali
01-27-2009, 02:45 PM
He already has some :p:

Boulder Cruiser
01-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Ill be in a stock 06 4runner. So far its done awesome in the snow, but i guess it hasnt really snowed that bad. Guess we'll see what she can do.
I have chains for 33" if any one needs them.

RedCreeper
01-27-2009, 03:23 PM
I might be up for it seeing all the 31s inchers that are going. That is if you 40's don't mind a newer model coming along? Switzerland is fun one with the snow. I had a buddy that was just up there and i can ask to see how bad it was. Any limit on how many can go?

lfd270ben
01-27-2009, 04:00 PM
I might be There depends when I get off work

subzali
01-27-2009, 04:44 PM
I don't have a limit, I don't think this is going to be a big run in any case. Bring what you have and we'll have some fun!

As always, hard recovery points are preferred, but I'm not going to stop you from coming if you don't have them. My back end doesn't have excellent recovery points, but I've put it to pretty hard use so far with no ill effects. You/we will just have to use good judgment out on the trail as far as recovery situations go.

I don't know the area super well, so can't make any promises about what we'll find, but I'm sure if we look hard enough we'll find snow somewhere ;) If it gets too deep some may have to stop or we all may have to turn around, no big deal.

All I ask is that people be smart: bring food, water, shovels, any recovery gear you might have, warm clothes, etc. And then my other requirement is to have fun.

CB4, Simplex 146.460

I'll look at the map and figure out a meeting place and travel route later. But I'm thinking the Home Depot parking lot in Boulder; meet at 8:30, roll at 9:00 so we can be back for the Superbowl.

MDH33
01-27-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm out. Just found a large puddle of coolant under my 40. Looks like it's coming from around the waterpump. :( If it's warm this weekend, I guess I'll be wrenching instead of wheeling.

PhatFJ
01-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Put me on the Maybe list!! Sounds like fun!!

:)

RicardoJM
01-27-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm in. Looks like TheBoomBoom's little brother HutHut will be with me. He can use the driving time. It sounds like a fun way to spend the day.

RicardoJM
01-27-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm out. Just found a large puddle of coolant under my 40. Looks like it's coming from around the waterpump. :( If it's warm this weekend, I guess I'll be wrenching instead of wheeling.

Bummer. The weather is supposed to be nice on Saturday. Perhaps you can get the new water pump (if that's what is needed) in on Saturday. Hopefully it is something much simpler like a hose.

MDH33
01-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Bummer. The weather is supposed to be nice on Saturday. Perhaps you can get the new water pump (if that's what is needed) in on Saturday. Hopefully it is something much simpler like a hose.

Yeah, figures that I notice this now and not last week when it was 70 degrees. :rolleyes:

Not sure how to diagnose the waterpump. I thought they usually just seize. Doesn't seem to be coming from the hoses though. I'll try to run it tonight and see if I can trace the leak. Can't really afford more repairs right now. :(

RedCreeper
01-29-2009, 02:20 PM
MDH33
if it is the water pump there is usually a small weep hole on the bottom of the pump and if the pump goes bad this is where it will leak. If it is coming out of there then the pump will need to be replaced. hope this helps.

Kenny

MDH33
01-29-2009, 02:28 PM
MDH33
if it is the water pump there is usually a small weep hole on the bottom of the pump and if the pump goes bad this is where it will leak. If it is coming out of there then the pump will need to be replaced. hope this helps.

Kenny

thanks Kenny.
hmmm, seems like it's coming from between the waterpump gasket and block all around.

Maybe I'll move this over to tech and stop polluting Matt's thread. Sorry Matt! ;)

RedCreeper
01-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Matt,
Are you still planning on this one?

My buddy was up there and this is what he had to say:

When we were up there last weekend though, the stretches from Sugarloaf to Sunset and the one from Sunset to Gold Hill were just fine.

We didn't go North from Gold Hill Rd. this time, but I'm assuming it's still pretty deep that way.

I have the kitchen pass and waiting to hear back from 2 others that may come. The guy above being one. both have stock FJs like me. This sounds like a fun time if it happening still. if so what are the logistics?

thanks.

Kenny

RedCreeper
01-30-2009, 01:13 PM
thanks Kenny.
hmmm, seems like it's coming from between the waterpump gasket and block all around.

Maybe I'll move this over to tech and stop polluting Matt's thread. Sorry Matt! ;)

if it leaking there check the bolts. maybe just loose. i have had that happen with my Jeep. the v8 just shook everything loose. good luck.

subzali
01-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Yes Kenny we are still planning on going. I'll post up details at the beginning of the thread. But here they are:

Meet at Home Depot in Boulder at 8:30 am, roll at 9:00 am Sunday 2/1
CB4, Simplex 146.460

If anybody knows exactly where they're going, they can lead. Otherwise I'm going to take a look at some maps I have and make sure I know the roads up there (I am somewhat familiar with the area, but not much).

RedCreeper
01-30-2009, 06:51 PM
thanks Matt,

I have not heard from my friend if he can come but if he does he knows Switzerland pretty well and i have been on it a few times. see you guy then.

Kenny

Gmann
01-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Anyone up for Chinaman's in Buena Vista. They have only a dusting of snow and I think it would be no problem to run. I was up there Thursday for work and it looked like early November. Who's up for it?:thumb:

PhatFJ
01-31-2009, 09:42 PM
See you in the AM at Home Depot. I have room for more if anyone wants to ride with me...

RedCreeper
01-31-2009, 10:43 PM
See everyone there. My buddy is coming also and he knows Switz pretty well so that will help.
And another FJ wont hurt either. hehe

Kenny

ocr14a
02-01-2009, 08:01 AM
Yep. I know the trail and most off-shoots pretty well - been wheelin up there since I moved here in December, 2000.

I can tell you this, there is one stretch (the portion that goes from the Peak-to-Peak highway to Sugarloaf) which we could not make it through (or rather, maybe could have, but decided not to risk it) when we were there alone a couple weeks ago, but the rest of the way (including the portion from Sugarloaf to Sunset and the portion from Sunset to Gold Hill Rd.) was pretty much clear last weekend.

Depending on how adventureous y'all wana get, perhaps we should start on the Peak-to-Peak end, and work our way Eastward through the tough spot till we get to Sugarloaf and then decide if we want to go the rest of the way.

Either way is fine, but if we start at Sugarloaf and go to the left on the portion that goes to the Peak-to-Peak, we'll only end up doing about a third of the entire trail.

Of course, we could just take the Peak-to-Peak North to Gold Hill Rd. and do the rest of it from there back to Sugarloaf....that might be fun too.....it all depends on how long you guys want to be at it up there today.....no hurry here.

See you soon.

MDH33
02-02-2009, 09:02 AM
Can we get these post-trip posts moved to the "trip and event reports" section? ;)

Thanks for leading a fun run Matt. Perfect day to be out playing in the snow.

And thanks to Marco for bashing through those concrete drifts! I didn't take my camera, so no pics from me. We had a good sized group. 11 rigs, 3 FJ Cruisers, 4 40's, 1 runner, 1 60, 1 80 and a CJ.

RicardoJM
02-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Can we get these post-trip posts moved to the "trip and event reports" section? ;)

Done:thumb: