PDA

View Full Version : Crash: another 80 crash story...

FJBen
01-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Sooo...last night my wife was driving to Walgreens to get a few things. On the way home, about 2 blocks from our house a lady pulls out in front of her at an intersection. She said she stopped at the red, pulled out and then stopped again. :rolleyes: My wife started sliding on the ice and was able to swerve enough to hit her in the rear instead of straight T-bone. The lady was driving a subaru forrester.

She was a first trying to not admit guilt to the cops buy my wife straightened that out rather quickly. :D Lady said she was having a "bad day" and my wife says really? I have a 10 day old baby crying at home, I have to get a DNC procedure tomorrow and now this."

It doesn't look "that" bad by any means, but it looks a bit tweaked for sure. Hood doesn't close right, bumper is peeled back looks like some frame horn damage, fender is out of wack and the one that worries me is that the door groans and opens goofy. The A/C was spewing out. Haven't had a chance to get a real good look at it yet.

can't wait to see the damage on this :rolleyes: for insurance. Past two 80's we have had, had ARB's lol...now the one that doesn't have one gets wrecked...this 80 was VERY VERY clean.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=294000&stc=1&d=1233070617

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=294001&stc=1&d=1233070617

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=294002&stc=1&d=1233070617

timmbuck2
01-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Glad everyone is OK!! My 80 is still at Oleg's. :( I hate other drivers!!

T

Hulk
01-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Sorry to hear it. The cleanest 80 I ever owned got wrecked too. Glad your wife is OK!

Uncle Ben
01-27-2009, 09:40 AM
can't wait to see the damage on this :rolleyes: for insurance. Past two 80's we have had, had ARB's lol...now the one that doesn't have one gets wrecked...this 80 was VERY VERY clean.

Bet it will now! ;) Sorry to hear that Ben! Glad no one was hurt! We were in Eaton Sunday for a V-bal touney of the daughters....it was a slick mutha up there (for everyone else ;))!

calphi27
01-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Hope everyone is ok. Make sure she sees a doc about the accident to get it on record. Looks like that one will be getting a new arb as well. Those OEM bumpers aren't cheap you know.

Some jerk on a cell phone swerved right behind me while I was at a red light this morning. He flew into the turn lane and about slid into the intersection. Hopefully he understood my "put the cell phone down" gesture.

treerootCO
01-27-2009, 10:13 AM
I know you have insurance but I can run a stock bumper up to you today if that would help.

60wag
01-27-2009, 11:05 AM
This is a good opportunity to use a shorter AC drier or relocate it altogther.

corsair23
01-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Glad the wife is ok Ben!

Next time have her spin around and hit them with the rear bumper...I have one of those in the garage :)

Crash
01-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Damn, I thought maybe you were channeling my 80 story of yesterday but you aren't. Your wife's bad day totally trumps the subaru driver's and I am glad that everyone is physically okay. Much rather be in an 80 in that situation - and just about any other situation, for that matter. My 80 story is that Suzie and I were on our way from a funeral at Fort Logan to Park Hill Golf Course for the reception afterwards in the 80 when I noticed the oil pressure gauge reading about 1/10" off the bottom marker. The truck is out at Christo's being diagnosed today. :(

nakman
01-27-2009, 01:39 PM
glad everyone is alright, Ben. :cheers:

PabloCruise
01-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Glad Nicole is safe and sound and Baby Boy Cy wasn't in the 80 at all.

Sheetmetal is expendable!

It'll get "straightened" out...

Corbet
01-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Happy to hear your wife is OK. I also have a stock bumper you can have at CM if needed. Its got a little rock rash but in better shape than your current.

RockRunner
01-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Crumpled metal can be fixed, lifes are another story. Glad to hear everyone is ding fine. Insurance my pay for an ARB bumper :thumb:

Uncle Ben
01-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Damn, I thought maybe you were channeling my 80 story of yesterday but you aren't. Your wife's bad day totally trumps the subaru driver's and I am glad that everyone is physically okay. Much rather be in an 80 in that situation - and just about any other situation, for that matter. My 80 story is that Suzie and I were on our way from a funeral at Fort Logan to Park Hill Golf Course for the reception afterwards in the 80 when I noticed the oil pressure gauge reading about 1/10" off the bottom marker. The truck is out at Christo's being diagnosed today. :(

Must be "blown!" :rolleyes: You did put oil in it right? :hill:

FJBen
01-28-2009, 11:07 AM
The DNC went good, so hopefully things will be back to normalish...my poor son had to get stitches for his circumcision, he got thrush, jaundice bad enough to have him on the lights at our house, then the DNC and now the cruiser wreck... It's been a busy two weeks.

but yeah, it's kinda tweaked. The hood rubs on the front, doesn't shut right. The door doesn't shut the same or as easy at all. All the other doors easily and smoothly lock in, this one doesn't anymore. It's not rubbing on the fender at all so something else is goofy. lights are falling out of it, and a new vibration is coming through the steering wheel that wasn't there. THe check engine light came on (coincidence or?) the a/c lines I'm sure just got smashed/split. the framehorn on the end is bent a little. I'm a little worried about the doors/hood being off mostly.

The ladys insurance is one I've never heard of so I can't wait to fight this one. Here's a few more pics.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=294245&stc=1&d=1233154625

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=294246&stc=1&d=1233154625

PabloCruise
01-28-2009, 12:31 PM
The ladys insurance is one I've never heard of so I can't wait to fight this one.

Hopefully not Juan's PNC on Colfax? :D

Good luck sir, let us know if you need anything...

treerootCO
01-28-2009, 12:42 PM
The ladys insurance is one I've never heard of so I can't wait to fight this one. Here's a few more pics.

Is her insurance company Godoy?

FJBen
01-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Is her insurance company Godoy?

Nope, not Juans either :D it's Auto owners or Auto group or something like that. I"ve never heard of it, so I hope it's ok. I'm going to have my bodyshop friend come take a look, he mainly does paint but I'm sure he could give me some more pointers.

still waiting to hear from them.

Crash
01-28-2009, 02:17 PM
You are good as gold if it is Auto-Owner's Insurance Company. We have had our car policies with them for years and they are a very upstanding company. Still, anytime you are dealing with insurance companies you can usually count on at least one headache or two. Good luck and again, I'm glad your wife was safe in a Land Cruiser.

FJBen
01-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Heres an initial quote from a bodyshop in town. How's it look? I haven't turned it in to her insurance, but wanting opinions.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/FJBen/quote1.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/FJBen/quote2.jpg

sleeoffroad
01-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Parts does not look right. A light is something like $300 alone. Did they check the core support. If it is bent or pushed back have them replace it and not fix it, otherwise it is a clear sign that the truck was in a wreck. Also not sure if the fender is fixable.

FJBen
01-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Parts does not look right. A light is something like $300 alone. Did they check the core support. If it is bent or pushed back have them replace it and not fix it, otherwise it is a clear sign that the truck was in a wreck. Also not sure if the fender is fixable.

So can I bring it to you guys for a quote :D

I figured they are trying to cheap out and put aftermarket junk on it which angers me, but thats why I'm shopping around. It was a pretty clean cruiser.

calphi27
01-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Why not call the a dealer and ask who they use for body work. Make sure you tell them you want OEM parts.

You going to go with a Slee front bumper or????

FJBen
01-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Why not call the a dealer and ask who they use for body work. Make sure you tell them you want OEM parts.

You going to go with a Slee front bumper or????

thats the shop our dealer uses for body. I don't know if they'll go OEM or not, I'm going to try Pederson toyota in Ft. COllins and see if they have a bodyshop.

I would love to slap a Slee on there, not sure if the wife would. :rolleyes:

FJBen
02-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Took it to Pederson toyota on saturday.

total prelim. estimate: $5118

getting a bit scary now...they found a lot of thing the other estimate didn't.

Uncle Ben
02-02-2009, 09:35 AM
$394.78 seems like a low bid on bumper parts and labor! That needs to be doubled somehow to buy the ARB replacement!!!

FJBen
02-04-2009, 01:34 PM
well, sounds like she's gonna get totalled out.

The "total" threshold amount is $5,800 for a 96 land cruiser. We are at $5100. On my last estimate, there was no time for the frame (although it was on there) the frame horn end is slightly bent and the passenger light brackets are busted/cracked ($295) that coupled with shop time for mechanical checkover is going to put it over the $5,800. The door is a little harder to close and that also wasn't on the other quote.

Now what to do...:confused:

timmbuck2
02-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Hmm...my 97 LX450 was in a wreck with similar damage. Her insurance company is Allstate and their first estimate was $2800. I filed a claim with State Farm, my insurance company, and took it to Oleg, His estimate was $7500, and after State farm came out to inspect it, they approved it. I was told I had about $1600 more before they would total it. Shrug.

Hulk
02-04-2009, 02:21 PM
The threshold is probably low because the 80 series is worth so much in parts.

FJBen
02-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Hmm...my 97 LX450 was in a wreck with similar damage. Her insurance company is Allstate and their first estimate was $2800. I filed a claim with State Farm, my insurance company, and took it to Oleg, His estimate was $7500, and after State farm came out to inspect it, they approved it. I was told I had about $1600 more before they would total it. Shrug.

wow...so $7,500 + $1,600 = $9,100 before they total it :confused:

NADA value is $7975 for a 96 with 170K
NADA value for an LX450 w/150K (avg miles) is $10,000 :eek::rolleyes: hmm...

Even still a $9100 repair is 90% of it's value...(no offense but $10K is HIGH for a stock(ish) 80/lx.) Usually the total value is 70-80% which $7,500 is right there...

Thats interesting how different the value is between them is ~$2k+

isotel
02-04-2009, 04:28 PM
If they Total it out, it gives you a great excuse to buy it back cheep, dont fix anything, and wheel the piss out of it! a couple of pulls with a body hammer and a new bumper and she is good to go!

LARGEONE
02-09-2010, 09:32 AM
http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/1591563498.html

It's not an 80, but I wonder what this 4-runner would have looked like if it didn't have the ARB up front!!!

Red_Chili
02-09-2010, 09:54 AM
When I have worked with a similar situation, my insurance company paid to fix the truck... then sued the other driver's insurance for compensation. Takes you out of the fight. Nice.

However, you can tell your insurance company you do NOT want to total it, and negotiate with them. You are not locked in to one choice (their choice). At least, Traveller's was excellent to deal with in that situation...

PabloCruise
02-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Holy thread revival!

FJBen

Last Activity: 03-22-2009 10:16 AM

Hulk
02-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Yeah, whatever to him? Did he get out of Cruisers?

Old40Dog
02-10-2010, 04:04 PM
The threshold is probably low because the 80 series is worth so much in parts.

That's right Matt. The salvage value on the 80 is pretty high, so the cost of repairs the insurance company will pay for is going to be low. They add repairs + salvage and compare the total to nada retail book, or something similar. If it worth less than the number they put on it....bye bye its a total loss and you're sol. You can often buy it back for the salvage value and a new salvage title... :flop: Hang tough with "your" insurance company FJBen, that's likely your only hope if you want to get it fixed. They may push the limit a bit and try to recover it from the other insurance company.

I just went thru this same crap when I lost my 2003 FX 45 in a similar situation when it was rear ended in December. The killer was that it was 7 years old and only had 60K miles on it. My insurance company at least gave me enough to ease the pain, but I would have rather been able to fix it, but they would't cause of the numbers. :rant:

So you take care of your stuff and keep it nice and then someone in a beater who doesn't give a s**t comes along and crashes into you. Kinda wish I'd been in the 40, then he coudda gotten pinned under my rear bumper and had a receiver hitch stickin' thru his windshield. :lmao: Not to get hurt, nobody was seriously injured, but to scare the crap outta him for a second.:thumb: