PDA

View Full Version : 80 Series clunk sound

rock_wagon
01-27-2009, 11:08 AM
We did a little wheeling Sunday, and on the way back home I noticed a clunk sound coming from my driver side front tire area when I hit any bumps in the road. It almost sounded like the shock mount was broken or loose.

I stopped gave everything a visual inspection, rocked the tire and did not see anything. As soon as we got to town I drove the the car wash to hose down the the snow ice and goobers built up and still did not see anything obvious. So we start home and the sound is gone. Ok must be ice or??

So Monday I drive back ond forth to work no issues, then this morning it is back again.:confused: The truck sat in the garage all night and all ice had melted off so I don't think that is it.

I am going to take off the wheel to tonight and put a wrench on all the nuts, but I am looking for ideas on what you would check?

corsair23
01-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Will,

Do you have sliders? If you do, do the sliders extend up to underneath the front flares?

I get a strange "clunk" sound too during the winter. Noticed it last year and I could figure it out. Nothing all summer long but it came back this winter. I noticed that heard the noise when there was snow on the ground and it was rutted or I'd go over a speed bump, etc.

Call me crazy, but I am positive the noise is coming from ice/snow that builds up between the top of my slider and the fender flare. What threw me off is that I could "feel" the thunking right under my left foot. Anyway, each time I get the thunking I remove the snow/ice build up and the thunking goes away :)

I need to find some of those little cover dealyos they make that attach to the fender flare and cover up the front end of the slider. I think Nakman has some.

FWIIW I have Metal Tech sliders

HTH :cheers:

nakman
01-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Yup, ice between the sliders & body. :)

Bikeman
01-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Yea, I get the same noise with ice/snow between the body and sliders.

corsair23
01-27-2009, 11:47 AM
And all this time I thought I was alone in the "Slider Thunk" world :D

Tim, you have those cool covers right? Do they help?

rock_wagon
01-27-2009, 12:03 PM
I do have sliders! (Slee Step) And I did wash them off the first time the sound disappeared!:bowdown:

Thanks for the input. I think after I check through everything for tightness I am going to test drive it on the way to the car wash. If this theory is correct cleaning the sliders off again should do the trick and that will make me feel a lot better!

nakman
01-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Front mud flaps would be best at preventing this, but they're not going to stop everything. AFAIK it doesn't hurt anything, and it sure beats not driving the 80. ;)

Tch2fly
01-27-2009, 01:03 PM
x3 on ice

I get it when snow melts off and forms an icicle between to body and slider or builds up from driving and freezes. In this kind of weather I have gotten in the habit of jumping on each slider before I leave work:hill:

sno bored
01-27-2009, 01:53 PM
I've just learned to live with it. The first few times it happened I was trying to figure out what it could be, warm days it went away, icy days it was back. Half of the winter is icy up here, so I don't really notice it anymore.

farnhamstj
01-28-2009, 04:28 PM
100 series owners suffer from the same thing.

nuclearlemon
01-28-2009, 04:34 PM
mine clunks too, but i'm pretty sure it's because mine's a p.o.s.:hill:

Inukshuk
01-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Hmm I see a trend. Mine too but only when super cold. Has for about 3 years and never have been able to detect why. I have suspected a loose bushing somewhere.

Hulk
01-29-2009, 12:44 AM
Hmm I see a trend. Mine too but only when super cold.

Same here. Weirdness.

Corbet
01-29-2009, 08:11 AM
This is my 1st winter with sliders (metaltech) and I too have been trying to determine what'ls loose? Guess I don't need to worry about it anymore as I couldn't find anything.

Nay
01-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Apparently flareless = clunkless.

Another reason to ditch those things :hill:

treerootCO
01-29-2009, 12:18 PM
I heard it the other day. One more reason not to drive through the drifts in the lot at work. :hill:

Convert
01-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Apparently flareless = clunkless.

Another reason to ditch those things :hill:

X2 :lmao:

farnhamstj
01-29-2009, 05:08 PM
I believe the sound is caused by the body mount bushings flexing and the body pulling away from the ice on top of the sliders. When the body retuns to normal positions it clunks back down on the ice. Mine is not there all winter only after snow, warm, cold cycles. I also once pulled out a large chunk of ice that had built up behind the plastic in the wheel well that was rattleing pretty good.