PDA

View Full Version : IT Guys

theboomboom
01-27-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm beginning work on a project for my senior year English class. The assignment is to conduct interviews with people that work in a field you are interested in, and these interviews will ultimately be referenced in a summary/response paper. It seems like there are at least a few of you that work in the IT field, and I'm hoping to learn more about it. If you could take a few minutes to answer some of the questions I have, your responses would not only helpful to me for use in this project, but will also influence my post-secondary education choices, as I'm hoping to make the best decisions to prepare myself for the workplace. Thanks in advance, and I'm eagerly awaiting any responses you guys have. :bowdown:

* What is your full name and title?

* What was the most helpful thing you could teach me regarding your field of work?

* What did you major/minor in during college/grad school/etc.?
o How were you as a student?
o What were the most helpful courses/classes you took?

* What is the most fulfilling aspect of your career?

* How do you feel your career relates to what you studied?

* When did you realize that you wanted to work in the IT field?

* What do you see happening in the future for the IT field?

* How long do you see yourself in your current career?

* What is the importance of reading/writing in your career? Math?

* How competitive is the IT field for those wishing to enter it out of college?

* How do you stay current with changes in the industry?

* What is a typical work day like for you?

Shark Bait
01-27-2009, 08:28 PM
I assume you are taking PM or email responses? :D

theboomboom
01-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Yeah, PMs work fine. My email is ricklmaestas@hotmail.com if that work better...

RockRunner
01-27-2009, 10:24 PM
I can answer most of your questions for you but it helps if you can tell me/us what part of IT you are interested in if you know. The IT field has so many options that a direction would help. I'll email you tomorrow with some answers.

PhatFJ
01-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Rick, I just sent you an e-mail.....

Hi Rick, I hope this helps!
My wife and I own our company and it will be 25 years old this spring.

theboomboom
01-28-2009, 08:34 PM
BIG thank you to everyone that has helped me so far! RockRunner- as of now, I'm interested in the system support/management part, with more of an emphasis on actual applications of IT than on the programming side.

4RunrFTW
01-30-2009, 09:21 AM
PM sent. It was a bit wordy. :) I've been on the hardware / systems architecture side for 13 years now. Good to see young'uns interested in the field.

Beater
01-30-2009, 10:02 AM
I can answer most of your questions for you but it helps if you can tell me/us what part of IT you are interested in if you know. The IT field has so many options that a direction would help. I'll email you tomorrow with some answers.

Agreed.

I am in IT, but in a unique position of true technical consultative sales...

treerootCO
01-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Us Telecom guys pretend we are not IT...

theboomboom
01-30-2009, 01:20 PM
I have received all the responses so far, once I get the paper written I'll link to it for those interested. :cheers:

Beater
01-31-2009, 07:05 AM
food for thought -

It is seen in many circles, that "it workers" are going to be commoditized soon to some degree. Now before everyone gets all bent out of shape, remember this is my industry as well. There are two old sayings in the us, "people fear what they don't understand" and "people tend to discount what they don't understand".

I have seen in my 20 years off and on around the tech industry in one way or another, is that the us business world looks at the every day network admin, DBA, or other type worker as a "widget" that is necessary for their business, but a widget none the less. This is completely unjust and unfair, not to mention just plain incorrect.

The same happens in technical sales as well. There are a lot of sales people who claim to geeks, but I can sure tell one who has actually opened a network book or two, let alone used the application. However, if someone has been getting by for several years, they tend to be accepted because of the "well he/she must get this, they've been doing it for years" thought process.

I know this isn't what you intended for responses, but I would strongly urge you to look at the applications development/deployment side of the business. Those are the cats that I see having the most "professional fun" and loving their jobs day in and day out.

just food for thought.

DaveInDenver
01-31-2009, 07:32 AM
the us business world looks at the every day network admin, DBA, or other type worker as a "widget" that is necessary for their business, but a widget none the less. This is completely unjust and unfair, not to mention just plain incorrect
LOL! It's so true, seems like everyone hates on IT weenies. But it's 'cause they block all the good websites at work.

PhatFJ
01-31-2009, 08:53 PM
I have received all the responses so far, once I get the paper written I'll link to it for those interested. :cheers:

Thanks! :) :)

PhatFJ
01-31-2009, 09:00 PM
I know this isn't what you intended for responses, but I would strongly urge you to look at the applications development/deployment side of the business. Those are the cats that I see having the most "professional fun" and loving their jobs day in and day out.

Being in the base of the physical layer and involved directly in the deployment, I could not agree more..... Oh yes telecom is IT!! It does not run without copper or fiber at some point... :eek: