PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth of Rollins Pass route

nakman
01-27-2009, 10:42 PM
I received this because I'm on the BRD list.. and with the permission of its creator am posting this here so you guys can all check it out. It's pretty sweet- just download this file (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/nakman/RollinsPass-BoulderWagonRoad+%282%29.KMZ), (right click, save as...) then double click it and Google Earth will start, and take you right to Yankee Doodle lake. You can then see the routes, closures, etc., as well as all the awesome features of Google Earth. Thanks Mark for letting me share this! :beer::beer::thumb:

corsair23
01-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Very :cool:

Thanks for sharing guys!!

Shark Bait
01-28-2009, 11:58 AM
They are one of my customers, BTW. www.digitalglobe.com. In Longmont, CO. :D

Beater
01-28-2009, 12:21 PM
interesting - digitalglobe is my friends account at at&T here

j

cbmontgo
01-29-2009, 11:00 AM
That is super cool. Is all of that still driveable (other than the tunnel) or are some of those areas closed off now? I want to take the kids up there this summer, but have heard that the trail head may be closed at Winter Park now...

Red_Chili
01-29-2009, 11:20 AM
It is drivable from Winter Park to Corona townsite more or less, and is as easy as a dirt driveway. It is also drivable from Rollinsville to just shy of Needle's Eye Tunnel, and considerably more rocky than the west side, but due to the tunnel's collapse you have to hike the rest of the way to Corona.

Boulder Wagon Road connects the two, and is a moderately challenging route with spectacular views and a long history. It was closed by Supervisor's Order fairly recently, and we aim to see about reopening it.

COHVCO is being of great help in this regard.

cbmontgo
01-30-2009, 10:40 AM
It is drivable from Winter Park to Corona townsite more or less, and is as easy as a dirt driveway. It is also drivable from Rollinsville to just shy of Needle's Eye Tunnel, and considerably more rocky than the west side, but due to the tunnel's collapse you have to hike the rest of the way to Corona.

Boulder Wagon Road connects the two, and is a moderately challenging route with spectacular views and a long history. It was closed by Supervisor's Order fairly recently, and we aim to see about reopening it.

COHVCO is being of great help in this regard.

I sure hope that more of these trails don't close. I suppose we all need to do our part to keep it from happening.

Red_Chili
01-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Truer words never spoken.

kvanoort
02-01-2009, 04:33 AM
Snowmobiled up to the townsite from the Fraser area a few weeks ago and had a great time.