PDA

View Full Version : Gear Swapping Party

timmbuck2
01-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Anyone up for a gear swapping party? :) In the warmth of a heated professional garage with lifts? :D

We have Mtntrucker's awesome 40 that has stock 4.11 gears and Chris's cool FJ55 with 4.88 gears. We are going to swap the gears between the trucks, with some locker installs and moves at the same time, including an ARB.

We are set for Saturday Feb. 7th at Chris's son in laws body shop in Lakewood. Still working on the time.

The 40 has 4.11 gears with lockers front and rear. He is keeping the one of the lockers for the 40, and the other locker will go to the rear of the 55. The 55 has 4.88 gears and they will go into the 40. So in the end the 55 will have 4.11 gears with a rear locker and the 40 will have 4.88 gears and 2 lockers, 1 ARB.

Make sense? :)

Post up if you wanna drop by and help, or give advice, or just sit back and watch. :cheers:

T

Chris
01-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Should be: "We have Mtntrucker's awesome 40 that has stock 4.11 gears and Timm's cool FJ55 with 4.88 gears." ;)

Start time 9am.

1612 Teller Street, Lakewood, Colorado 80214
http://www.perryandterryautobody.com/

Red_Chili
01-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Hmmm... I need to swap the rear axle and front diff on my DD...

Gotta repair the Tacoma axle housing first though. It would be nice to have an extra hand or two here and there. I hate IFS front diffs.

subzali
01-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Timm - what kind of lockers are currently in the 40? Just curious

Chris
01-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Come on down and see Matt! ;)

timmbuck2
01-29-2009, 02:20 PM
No idea. Randy?

I also have the rear axle from Uglibus that has a locker that I should probably just pull...I could bring that along too

Air Randy
01-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Its either a powertrax or some other form of lunchbox locker. It should be pretty staraight forward to transfer it over. at least that is what I'm told, and you dont' have to re-setup the R&P gear.

Air Randy
01-30-2009, 09:28 PM
OK, so the subtle "lets try to get them to come by calling it a party" approach didn't work. So now we go to Plan B:

Timm and I need to swap front & rear 3rd members between our rigs on Feb 7th and transfer 1 lunch box locker. I am a reasonably competent mechanic but have never disassembled a Toyota front axle far enough to pull the 3rd member out.

We are asking one of the mechanical gods :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: such as Powderpig:bowdown: or Nuclerlemon:bowdown: or others of similar competency to swing by and provide parental supervision to prevent us from totally screwing something up. We have access to a heated shop with hoists and air tools.

So, somebody step forward and sign up..now (pretty please) :help:

nuclearlemon
01-30-2009, 09:56 PM
OK, so the subtle "lets try to get them to come by calling it a party" approach didn't work. So now we go to Plan B:

Timm and I need to swap front & rear 3rd members between our rigs on Feb 7th and transfer 1 lunch box locker. I am a reasonably competent mechanic but have never disassembled a Toyota front axle far enough to pull the 3rd member out.

We are asking one of the mechanical gods :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: such as Powderpig:bowdown: or Nuclerlemon:bowdown: or others of similar competency to swing by and provide parental supervision to prevent us from totally screwing something up. We have access to a heated shop with hoists and air tools.

So, somebody step forward and sign up..now (pretty please) :help:

so you apparently don't know that i'll already be there ;)

Air Randy
01-31-2009, 08:07 AM
All Hail to the Nuclearlemon:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Thanks!:hill:

timmbuck2
01-31-2009, 10:44 AM
Heck I would not have set this up if Ige wasn't gonna be there to boss us around!!!! ;)

T

Chris
01-31-2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah, just think of how much fun you, me and Randy could have stumbling our way through it. I didn't notice the install of my LSD on the "to do" list. ;)

Reminder to Timm & Randy - bring gaskets and gear lube. Also bring tools - the employee tools are not there for our use.

Air Randy
01-31-2009, 04:04 PM
I picked my gaskets & gear lube up today. I'll have my tools with me.

Rzeppa
02-01-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm trying to talk my :Princess: into a romantic getaway this coming weekend. If that isn't happening, count me in for wrenching. Address please?

Chris
02-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Post #2 Jeff ;)

timmbuck2
02-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Start time 9am.

1612 Teller Street, Lakewood, Colorado 80214
http://www.perryandterryautobody.com/

Randy is bringing his tools and gaskets and gear lube. (Crap....I have not gotten my stuff yet. What did you buy and where?? How much gear lube?) I have my tools also.

Who is planning on joining the festivities?

Yes Chris, the LSD install is on the to-do list as long as we have the time and hands. :)

nuclearlemon
02-06-2009, 08:45 AM
hhhmmmm...never done an lsd.

Chris
02-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Start time 9am.

Yes, be there at 9 please. Sam (owner) will probably be there then, if not Joe (son-in-law) will be by 9:30, we can kick tires if we have to wait.

Randy is bringing his tools and gaskets and gear lube. (Crap....I have not gotten my stuff yet. What did you buy and where?? How much gear lube?) I have my tools also.

Timm, I have gaskets for you if you bring gear lube for me. ;)

Yes Chris, the LSD install is on the to-do list as long as we have the time and hands.

Just a removal of LockRight and replace with Powertax.

:cheers:

Chris
02-06-2009, 08:51 AM
hhhmmmm...never done an lsd.

I guess I'm mis-using the term. It's just the quieter, more street friendly lunchbox.

nuclearlemon
02-06-2009, 01:25 PM
lsd is a limited slip differential. not a true locker

nuclearlemon
02-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Just a removal of LockRight and replace with Powertax.

:cheers:

lockright and powertrax are the same thing? powertrax makes the lockright:confused:

Chris
02-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Yes, Powertrax makes them both. Lockright is less expensive, noisier - Powertrax supposedly is quieter, more street friendly and more expensive but just as good off road.

Powertrax: http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/noslip.html

Uncle Ben
02-06-2009, 03:21 PM
lockright and powertrax are the same thing? powertrax makes the lockright:confused:

It appears Powertrax dropped "Silent Locker" as a name and now calls it "Powertrax Traction System." Most likely as Silent Lockers developed a bad name for themselves. I concur, I tried the Silent Locker on Longgrain at first and after the third replacement (and final as they gave me written letter saying they would not replace it again) I went to a Lock Rite I had on the shelf. The Silent Lockers work well up until they knock the collars off the spring retainers! :rolleyes:

Chris
02-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Good to know, I plan on keeping the Lockright on the shelf. How long did they last?

Uncle Ben
02-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Good to know, I plan on keeping the Lockright on the shelf. How long did they last?

Lock rites don't wear out! The carrier does however

Chris
02-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Got it!

Crash
02-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Chris, neither you nor I drive the Kevin does so longevity shouldn't be a problem with the Powertrax for you. I had one in the rear of the 62 for about a year and the last I heard it was in a another 60 series working just fine. Don't be surprised, however, when it does let you know that it can make big bang noises just like a Lockright. I've heard of some that performed perfectly quiet in 60s and others, like mine, that could surprise you from time to time. A great addition though and much, much more positive in its action than a limited slip diff, especially with the larger tires you run.

Chris
02-06-2009, 04:46 PM
BTW UB, IIRC your name is scribbled in a column of the notes, etc I got from the PO when I bought Timm's Pig.

(Cool, i got to use BTW UB IIRC sequentially.)

Chris
02-06-2009, 04:47 PM
I've heard that Steve but I'm sure I won't be ready for it when it happens.

Uncle Ben
02-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Chris, neither you nor I drive the Kevin does so longevity shouldn't be a problem with the Powertrax for you. I had one in the rear of the 62 for about a year and the last I heard it was in a another 60 series working just fine. Don't be surprised, however, when it does let you know that it can make big bang noises just like a Lockright. I've heard of some that performed perfectly quiet in 60s and others, like mine, that could surprise you from time to time. A great addition though and much, much more positive in its action than a limited slip diff, especially with the larger tires you run.

I just said the Lock Rite doesn't wear out? :confused: I have sold old ones to others that are still going strong. Heck, my first LA Locker coarse spline locker I had is still going strong in Deano's Cruiser in OK.

Crash
02-06-2009, 05:03 PM
I've heard that Steve but I'm sure I won't be ready for it when it happens.

:D the very first time I heard it go BANG was in an underground parking lot at Pres/St. Lukes waiting for a little old lady in a Caddy to back out of a space I wanted. The look on her face was priceless and I feared that a Crash Cart might be necessary to restart her heart - and mine!! :D

Hulk
02-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Heck, my first LA Locker coarse spline locker I had is still going strong in Deano's Cruiser in OK.

I'm still rocking Dan Dilley's old LA Locker in my 40. IIRC, he told me it was serial number 000011.