PDA

View Full Version : 80 steering leak

60wag
02-03-2009, 06:12 PM
The high pressure hose on my 80 was staying wet with fluid where the steel U shaped tube was crimped. I replaced the hose and flushed the system. Everything was good. Then about a week later I find fluid dripping off the bottom of the pump. I guessed the most likely leak point was at the high pressure fitting on the pump. It looks dry. I wiped the thing down and drove it some more. Its still hard to tell where the leak is - it may be the rear of the pump but I'm not sure. After staring at it for a bit, I beginning to think the hose replacement may have nothing to do with it. Whatdya think?

waggoner5
02-03-2009, 08:46 PM
My 97 sprung a leak at the rear of the pump at 90k. A rebuilt pump cured it as there was not a rebuild kit at the time. Maybe now?

nuclearlemon
02-03-2009, 09:01 PM
they're fairly easy to rebuild. as a matter of fact, if you want one to rebuild without downing your rig, i can bring one for ya. i just rebuilt one and swapped it with the one on my rig.

Uncle Ben
02-04-2009, 02:34 AM
they're fairly easy to rebuild. as a matter of fact, if you want one to rebuild without downing your rig, i can bring one for ya. i just rebuilt one and swapped it with the one on my rig.

If Brute passes I would take you up on that offer Ige! Mines also decided to drip and growl recently.....must be in the air!

60wag
02-04-2009, 08:18 AM
I'll take you up on the pump. I think a fresh set of seals is what I need.

SteveH
02-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Ige - does rebuilding the '80 PS pump take care of the moaning and groaning? My genuine Toyota replacement pump hasn't even lasted as long as the factory one did. This current $275 pump has lasted a whopping 50K miles or so. I've never had leaks, but have had lack of boost (under some conditions) and noises. I'm running stock tires.

What's in a PS rebuild kit - just seals, or are there new vanes, too?

Steve

nakman
02-04-2009, 08:41 AM
:kevin: I've got a pump for you, and dang if I'da known yesterday I could have tossed in in the truck for tonight. whatcha doin' posting up at 2:30 am, anyway? :eek: I won't be going home before OTB, so figure out another way to grab it..