PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Wheel Bearing Packing Party (WBPP)

RicardoJM
02-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Mark your calendar and find your 52mm hub socket for the 2009 WBPP. This event is primarily geared towards getting together as a group and doing routine front end maintenance; clean and repack knuckles, birfields and replace seals. The club will buy pizza and sodas. You do need to bring your own tools, gloves, rags, manuals and jack stands. If you are a new vintage cruiser owner or recently taken an interest in doing more of your own maintenance on your vintage cruiser, this is a great event to get some experience as we generally have mentors in attendance who have maintenance experience.

DATE: April 4, 2009
WHEN: 8:00 am to 2:00 pm
WHERE: Slee Offroad
700 Pine Ridge Rd, Unit 2
Golden CO 80403

If you are interested in doing some maintenance work, post up in this thread. Make sure to include the model, year of your truck and what maintenance you will be doing. This event is an equal mix of fellowship, mentoring and wrenching. The schedule of activity will be to meet at 8:00AM and start work no later than nine. We will shoot for wrap-up by one, and be out of there by two. Keep the schedule in mind as you consider the maintenance you intend to do.

If you are interested in helping with the mentoring, post up in this thread. It is very rewarding to pass on to the knowledge, skill, tricks and tips to someone new.

For everyone participating, our host this year is Slee Offroad. With only 2 lifts and only room for 4 rigs inside, some may be working outside (pray for good weather) and we will all help out. We WILL leave our host's shop as clean or cleaner than when we came in! Anyone who will be cleaning parts in Christo's parts sink will be expected to make a donation to replenish his solvent, it costs him $180 (2008 costs, likely more in 2009) for replacement of solvent. It also costs him $1 per gallon of fluids to recycle it, so whoever is doing fluids, please plan on making that donation.

I'll update this post as people sign up and drop out:

RicardoJM - Mentor
MtnTrucker - Mentor
Crash - Mentor
LARGEONE - 80 series;rear axle bearing repack/replace if needed
RockRunner - 1985 Forerunner; front axle service
calphi27 - Rodney flush w/ tranny cooler install
Colorado80 - 96 lx450 Slee Blues & new springs???
Bruiser - 78 FJ40 Front axle service

timmbuck2
02-04-2009, 10:07 AM
I am in for at least a mentor. I have done the 80 twice :rolleyes: the past year and the Pig was also done recently, so unless I acquire another truck before then...yeah...might as well sign me up as a participant, too. :D

As always, major thanks to Ricardo for setting this up, all the mentors for their help, and to Christo and his staff!!!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I will provide BBQ from Breckenridge Brewery and BBQ.

T

Red_Chili
02-04-2009, 10:09 AM
What happened to the bedliner place offer in Littleton?

I mean no disrespect though, Slee's is first rate, has a great 'dishwasher', and of course the odd parts I forgot to buy... Thanks Christo!

I was looking forward to going 6 blocks to the WBPP but oh well.

Crash
02-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Christo sure knows how to have fun!! :hill:
Thanks Ricardo for jumping right on this. Good job!!

MDH33
02-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm due for a front axle service. Sign me up. 1973 FJ40 stock front axle. I would really like to drain and fill my diffs, trans, and transfer too. Any chance Christo will have a pump we can use and 90 wt we can purchase?

wesintl
02-04-2009, 12:17 PM
I could use a clean and swap of birfs on the 80 with new marlin seals

sleeoffroad
02-04-2009, 12:31 PM
No problem doing it, but we did sort out some details last year in terms of jobs that will and won't work due to time frame etc etc. Not sure if Matt did that verbally or posted it. Is there an old thread on this?

But in short, I think the emphasis was on helping members with limited knowledge to do minor maintenance on their trucks in view of Cruise Moab. The idea is not to use the opportunity to get a bunch of maintenance done that will tie up the lifts so that people that might really need it, can't get to it. So we just ask that people tackle realistic jobs where they will not get over their heads or to a situation that can leave a truck stranded and not be able to move.

RicardoJM
02-04-2009, 01:30 PM
What happened to the bedliner place offer in Littleton?

B&T Bedliner is still there. I spoke with the owner Kevin Shipman last night and expressed the clubs appreciation for his offer to host as I updated him our on plans for this year. Even though the WBPP will not be there this year, I hope you all will keep Kevin in mind if you are considering bedlining, clear bras, window tint, trailer hitches and so forth. :thumb:

RicardoJM
02-04-2009, 01:35 PM
I am in for at least a mentor ... might as well sign me up as a participant, too.

I'm :confused: - which is it? If participant, make sure to include the model, year of your truck and what maintenance you will be doing. :D

RicardoJM
02-04-2009, 02:04 PM
No problem doing it, but we did sort out some details last year in terms of jobs that will and won't work due to time frame etc etc. Not sure if Matt did that verbally or posted it. Is there an old thread on this?

But in short, I think the emphasis was on helping members with limited knowledge to do minor maintenance on their trucks in view of Cruise Moab. The idea is not to use the opportunity to get a bunch of maintenance done that will tie up the lifts so that people that might really need it, can't get to it. So we just ask that people tackle realistic jobs where they will not get over their heads or to a situation that can leave a truck stranded and not be able to move.

I'll look through the old threads to see what I can find. :thumb:

Christo's comments on keeping things realistic are spot on. As you consider the maintenance work you would like to do, keep in mind - arrive at 8:00, be wrenching by 9:00, enjoy some pizza and soda, finish by 1:00, clean up by 2:00. This is plenty of time to get some maintenance work done and have a good time doing it.

cjsutton
02-04-2009, 02:20 PM
I would like to participate in this if there is room for me. I would like to get into the front end of my '86 minitruck. I know very little about the IFS and am sure it could use some service. If someone knows what I might need to buy in advance, I would appreciate the advice.

Chris Sutton
Golden, Colorado

timmbuck2
02-04-2009, 02:39 PM
I am in as a mentor Ricardo. And can supply BBQ if anyone would like that.

T

RicardoJM
02-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I would like to participate in this if there is room for me. I would like to get into the front end of my '86 minitruck. I know very little about the IFS and am sure it could use some service. If someone knows what I might need to buy in advance, I would appreciate the advice.

You have been added to the list. Regarding what is needed, in years past Jeff Zepp has coordinated the purchase of parts from one of our supporting Toyota dealerships and letting each person know what their cost is.:thumb:

LARGEONE
02-04-2009, 05:45 PM
I am in.
80 front axle?
total newbie...is there a group order for parts?

treerootCO
02-04-2009, 06:06 PM
I am in.
80 front axle?

Christo can order you parts or you can go through one of the many Toyota dealerships in town. I have ordered parts through Christo as well as ordered parts from Jerry at Boulder Toyota.

RicardoJM
02-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I am in.
80 front axle?

You have been added to the list. :thumb: Regarding what is needed, in years past Jeff Zepp has coordinated the purchase of parts from one of our supporting Toyota dealerships and letting each person know what their cost is.

RicardoJM
02-04-2009, 07:22 PM
I'll look through the old threads to see what I can find.

Wow, what a trip down memory lane. I set out to find a specific post, or set of posts that would clearly layout ground rules for the event. Unfortunately, I didn't find a silver bullet in the three threads from last year:(. That said, reading these posts a year out, I did find there is a central theme for the wheel bearing packing party that results in a successful event.:D

The first thread (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=6224) starts out with a bunch of coordination posts, but beginning with post #12 you will begin to see the theme of the event; fellowship, mentoring, maintenance and being good guests. When it comes to the maintenance work you'd like to do, things work best when you match the work with the time you need to do it. This applies wherever you do the work, the WBPP or your garage.

The second thread (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=6623) picks up much closer to the event and reveals more details on specifics regarding parts, tools and all the little details that come up. Throughout the thread, our theme remains strong; fellowship, mentoring, maintenance and being good guests.

The final thread (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=6699) is the event report and confirms the theme as being the formula for success.

I know it takes some time, but I would highly recommend reading the threads if you consider participating in the WBPP. It is well worth the time to gain a little more insight into why :risingsun.

sleeoffroad
02-05-2009, 08:12 AM
I am in.
80 front axle?

Just to be clear, doing a full 80 front axle service correctly is the better part of 8 hours or more for one that is not experienced and having pizza and beer in between. That is if you don't screw up or run into issues. That is a not within the scope of what this is all about. The reason is I don't want to tie the lifts up for this kind of thing. Sorry, if I sound like the lit police, but I want to be fair to everyone.

One of the advantages of having the shop available for most people are the ability to put the truck on the lift and attend to matters that are not easily done on the ground.

Instead of first come first serve like the past, I would like to get a list of things people are going to do and try and schedule the lift time accordingly. However, if you are allocated the first spot, you need to be on time and try to get it done in the alloted time.

Air Randy
02-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Ricardo,

Sign me up as an assistant helper for the other rigs and put me down for a valve adjustment if time and space permits for my 1974 FJ40 1F. Also, I have a bucket pump for 90w gear lube that I can bring. If people want to pick up a gallon at Autozone we can put it in the bucket and use the pump. It already has regular 85w-90 in it so don't buy the expensive synthetic stuff and plan on using the bucket pump or it will just get diluted.

RicardoJM
02-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Sign me up as an assistant helper

Thanks for volunteering, I've put you on the list as a mentor. We can play it by ear for the valve adjustment, it could be a great opportunity for a Valve Adjustment clinic if there are others looking to adjust their valves ;).

The bucket pump for 90w gear lube would be great to have on hand. :thumb:

RicardoJM
02-05-2009, 04:27 PM
For those participating in the WBPP, I appreciate you getting me the details on the maintenance you will be doing. If you would also let me know what you would like to do for parts; purchase yourself or get in on a group purchase - I'll add that to the information on the first post.

For those that would like to get in on a group purchase I will coordinate the purchase details and work with each of you directly via PM and phone as we get closer to the event.

For those that are going to purchase parts on your own and are members of Rising Sun, don't forget to exercise your Rising Sun discount at our local supporting Toyota dealerships. If you are not a Rising Sun member, but in the TLCA keep in mind many of the local dealerships offer a discount to TCLA members. Even if you are a member of Rising Sun and TLCA ( we all should be) we have several other local businesses that support us that can be used for your parts purchase - including our host :thumb:.

Wherever you purchase, don't forget this is an excellent opportunity strengthen Rising Sun's relationship with the business's that support us.

timmbuck2
02-05-2009, 04:57 PM
My goal is to get my 40 running before the party, so if we are heavy on mentors and light on work that needs to be done, I will bring the 40...

T

RockRunner
02-05-2009, 06:46 PM
I may want to do my front end too if I haven't done it by then yet.

Rzeppa
02-05-2009, 07:41 PM
My goal is to get my 40 running before the party, so if we are heavy on mentors and light on work that needs to be done, I will bring the 40...

T

Dunno if I'm considered a mentor, but I'll help you with that. The WBPP is about my favorite event after Cruise Moab.

timmbuck2
02-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Dunno if I'm considered a mentor, but I'll help you with that. The WBPP is about my favorite event after Cruise Moab.

well, the 2f is dropped and I put the truck back together. think I might pull off all the smog stuff this weekend. anyone know where to get the plugs for the air rail?

I had a blast at the WBPP last year, huge thanks to Zepp and Crash. :bowdown: They taught me so well I was able to do it again with no troubles 6 months later when my knuckle studs fell out. :rolleyes:

T

Rzeppa
02-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Funny you mention Crash and I in the same post as learning at the RS WBPP. Steve and I were both total newbies to front axle servicing at the 2000 WBPP. We had mentors who showed us the ropes at that event, and now we're teaching others what we learned from our elders. Pretty cool.

timmbuck2
02-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Ricardo and I were newbies last year, too.... :)

RicardoJM
02-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I may want to do my front end too if I haven't done it by then yet.

I've added you to the list. :thumb:

bigbluefj
02-05-2009, 09:30 PM

Well if you need it done during Moab come see me and i can help as it seem's i do a few of them while i'm there..:D:D:D

rover67
02-05-2009, 09:38 PM
I'll be there to hang out and help. Don't really know if i'll have anything to do on my truck really. Myabe by that time i'll be setting up the HAM...

barCruiser
02-08-2009, 10:01 PM
New to the area, and looking to join the club, will come to the next meeting for sure. I need to rebuild the rear diff lock actuator (if I don't do it before April). Definitely don't need a lift for this, but it would be cool to come by and check out some rigs.

Colorado80
02-18-2009, 10:58 PM
I don't need anything done that I can think of currently, but I would be more than happy to be an assistant to the assistant of the assistant. So basically I will be good for grabbing beer or the wrong size wrench.

Hulk
02-18-2009, 11:39 PM
New to the area, and looking to join the club, will come to the next meeting for sure. I need to rebuild the rear diff lock actuator (if I don't do it before April). Definitely don't need a lift for this, but it would be cool to come by and check out some rigs.

You're welcome to wrench on your rig at the WBPP -- there is plenty of space for vehicles that don't need to be on a lift.

LARGEONE
02-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Can someone tell me what parts I would need to order (or have ordered w/ the group) in order to service the front axle of my 80? The PO said it was serviced "not too long ago", but I don't believe he had any idea of what was done to it or exactly how long ago!!! Any suggestions on what I should do to it at the packing party aside from tearing the whole thing apart. I've never gone past the outer hub on my 40 and haven't touched the 80 since buying it in September '08.

thanks!

MDH33
02-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Can someone tell me what parts I would need to order (or have ordered w/ the group) in order to service the front axle of my 80? The PO said it was serviced "not too long ago", but I don't believe he had any idea of what was done to it or exactly how long ago!!! Any suggestions on what I should do to it at the packing party aside from tearing the whole thing apart. I've never gone past the outer hub on my 40 and haven't touched the 80 since buying it in September '08.

thanks!

Christo's earlier post:

Just to be clear, doing a full 80 front axle service correctly is the better part of 8 hours or more for one that is not experienced and having pizza and beer in between. That is if you don't screw up or run into issues. That is a not within the scope of what this is all about. The reason is I don't want to tie the lifts up for this kind of thing. Sorry, if I sound like the lit police, but I want to be fair to everyone.

RicardoJM
02-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Can someone tell me what parts I would need to order (or have ordered w/ the group) in order to service the front axle of my 80?

I'll answer Paul's question below, but the post is an excellent opportunity to share a bit of information about the WBPP time contraint paramters - so bear with me on this long post...

Front axle service is one of those terms that has a wide range of potential interpretation. In a full front end service the trunion bearings and wheel bearings are taken out of the truck, replaced, packed with grease and then re-installed including the replacement of bearing races and often a SST is employed to confirm the knuckle cap shims. Along the way to getting all the bearing and races out, you remove gaskets, inner axle seal, birfields and axle, calipers/rotors (drums/shoes), backing plates, outer axle plates (may have the wrong term there), knuckle caps, seperate the birfield from the axle, take the cage/balls out of the birfield, take apart the locking hubs, etc. - and clean and inspect all those items as well as replacing the gaskets, seals and putting in fresh grease all around. When I did this on my 40 I also replaced all 16 knuckle studs. The full front axle service would take more time than what we have at the WBPP. ;)

The number of things that have to be removed, cleaned as well as issues that can crop up during inspection in a full axle service is what make it take too long for the WBPP. For example, during the locker swap work a couple of weeks ago it became clear that MtnTrucker really would benefit from the full service. For an experienced wrench they typically plan on a full day and in some cases two days to get the work done. This past weekend Nuclearlemon and MtnTrucker started the full service on his 40 - these two are the experienced wrenches that could get the full service done in less than a day. In the course of their inspection they found a brass bushing that was in poor shape and needed to be replaced - of course the bushing had to be ordered. As a result MtnTrucker's 40 is sitting on jackstands while the part in enroute.

That said, the amount of time (and variables that could leave a rig on the jack stands waiting for parts) is much less when the objective of the service is limitted to getting the wheel bearings out, cleaned, repacked with grease and replacing the inner axle seal - and this is what is typically done at the WBPP for a front end service.

While not the full front axle service, this is a great maintenance activity that benefits your rig by servicing parts that need it and giving you (aided by a mentor) the opportunity to inspect the other parts for indications of problems. If the inspection does identify issues that need to be addressed, the experience prepares you to deal with them - whether you do the work yourself or take it to a professional - you will know what is going on. :thumb:

Regarding gaskets and seals to do the typical WBPP front end service for an 80, I will pm a couple of the 80 gurus to get a detail list of the part numbers. I am planning to coordinate a group buy (a little closer to the event) and those doing maintenance will get a flurry of PM/phone calls from me as I work through that process. Ideally, I can also post the information up on the forum so it will be available in the future for people that have the same question. :cheers:

LARGEONE
02-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Thank you to all for clarifying the difference b/w a full front service and the bearing packing. I'm glad I asked the question...because I really don't know the difference. I'm really looking forward to this event in order to better understand what is involved. I'd still like to learn to do the PM bearing packing at this event.

Paul

Romer
02-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Thank you to all for clarifying the difference b/w a full front service and the bearing packing. I'm glad I asked the question...because I really don't know the difference. I'm really looking forward to this event in order to better understand what is involved. I'd still like to learn to do the PM bearing packing at this event.

Paul

Here is a write-up on how to do the whole front axle service on an 80. The 40 and 60 are very similar. The 100 and FJ Cruiser are IFS so this does not apply.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/78276-front-axle-rebuild-faq.html

It should be noted you can get the front axle parts from any Toyota Dealer. I would make sure you let them know you are a Rising Sun Member so you get the discount

nakman
02-23-2009, 09:51 AM
If someone were to want to change wheel bearings, Christo would your press be available? And do you have a set of special pusher tools for all the races?

sleeoffroad
02-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Should not need press for wheel bearings. But we have one available to be used under supervision. :D

nakman
02-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Right, the bearing falls out onto the floor when you pull the thing off the spindle. But you can press/unpress the races though, right?

Uncle Ben
02-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Right, the bearing falls out onto the floor when you pull the thing off the spindle. But you can press/unpress the races though, right?

A brass drift will serve you well grasshopper! the time it takes to set up a spindle in a press to push in new races You could have both sides done.

nakman
02-23-2009, 02:40 PM
A brass drift will serve you well grasshopper! the time it takes to set up a spindle in a press to push in new races You could have both sides done.

You obviously haven't seen me work the brass drift.. I'm at least 10-20 minutes per race- the ends round off and slip off, then I miss and smack my hand, then I lie awake at night wondering if there's a little chip of brass underneath the race, and if it's even seated well, and how concentric one is with the other side, and did I bend a drive flange stud, etc.

calphi27
02-23-2009, 10:34 PM
I would like to sign up for wheel bearing replacement on my 1990 FJ62 with a diff fluid replacement.

I would also like to do a rodney flush with tranny cooler install. (would that be possible time wise?)

RicardoJM
02-24-2009, 08:10 AM
I would like to sign up for wheel bearing replacement on my 1990 FJ62 with a diff fluid replacement.

I would also like to do a rodney flush with tranny cooler install. (would that be possible time wise?)

I've added you to the list:thumb:. I'm a bit :o because I do not know what a rodney flush is. I also do not know what is involved in the installation of the transmission cooler. So, I'm not in a good position to render an opinion on the time it takes. Have you done these items before? IIRC, Crash has a 62 series - perhaps he will chime in with some additional insight.

calphi27
02-24-2009, 09:56 AM
a rodney flush is a flush of the tranny while the engine is running and the tranny is shifted through the gears. from what I have read, both should be fairly easy if there is a mentor around. if not, then i can learn at home and mentor next time. I guess it depends on if any 62 owners show up.

timmbuck2
02-27-2009, 04:44 PM
for those still looking for a brass drift (which as Uncle Ben mentioned is highly useful in this job!) look no further:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37038
they don't carry it in the store anymore so you have to order it, but not bad for $7.99

Air Randy
02-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Are you sure you can still order them online? I tried and they said they were on back order for over a year, which the clerk said you can interpret as they wont carry them any more.

I ended up going to the Craftsman website and found a 3 piece set for like $19 that showed up in less than a week.

Crash
02-27-2009, 06:56 PM
I've added you to the list:thumb:. I'm a bit :o because I do not know what a rodney flush is. I also do not know what is involved in the installation of the transmission cooler. So, I'm not in a good position to render an opinion on the time it takes. Have you done these items before? IIRC, Crash has a 62 series - perhaps he will chime in with some additional insight.

The Rodney Flush takes all of 30 minutes or so and about 20 qts of ATF for an A440F. Unsure of whether Christo would want to be responsible for recycling that much spent fluid or if you would have to take it with you. Trans cooler takes more time and if you are doing some front axle work you should concentrate on the front axle.

timmbuck2
02-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Are you sure you can still order them online? I tried and they said they were on back order for over a year, which the clerk said you can interpret as they wont carry them any more.

I ended up going to the Craftsman website and found a 3 piece set for like $19 that showed up in less than a week.

hmm...I bought the last one any store had about 6 months ago...but I did just order one online, at the same time as I ordered the gear oil pump. :)

calphi27
02-28-2009, 12:09 AM
The Rodney Flush takes all of 30 minutes or so and about 20 qts of ATF for an A440F. Unsure of whether Christo would want to be responsible for recycling that much spent fluid or if you would have to take it with you. Trans cooler takes more time and if you are doing some front axle work you should concentrate on the front axle.

yeah I was thinking about that. I really need to do a full front axle service with new rotors, 4runner caliphers etc. I will just learn at the wbpp and do it at home.

So take me off of doing the wbp and put me ONLY for rodney flush and tranny cooler install. I will dispose of the fluids. will that work?

I just hope there is a 62 owner around that could watch over my shoulder. After that, I can help others with their wbp.

Crash
02-28-2009, 10:58 AM
yeah I was thinking about that. I really need to do a full front axle service with new rotors, 4runner caliphers etc. I will just learn at the wbpp and do it at home.

So take me off of doing the wbp and put me ONLY for rodney flush and tranny cooler install. I will dispose of the fluids. will that work?

I just hope there is a 62 owner around that could watch over my shoulder. After that, I can help others with their wbp.

I am planning on being at the "party" and I have done the flush several times. Will be glad to help you. Are you planning on dropping the tranny oil pan and cleaning the filter screen? Probably a good idea if it hasn't, to your knowledge, ever been done. A pan gasket and a filter gasket are all that would be added to your parts list.

Uncle Ben
02-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Ahhhhh.....the best part of having the WBPP at Christos is the annual Slee Off Road 60% off everything in the store discount! :woot::woot:
:lmao::lmao::lmao: :bolt:

nakman
02-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Ahhhhh.....the best part of having the WBPP at Christos is the annual Slee Off Road 60% off everything in the store discount! :woot::woot:
:lmao::lmao::lmao: :bolt:

Oh yeah, forgot about that! I'm going to get some front axle seals, an install tool, and 4 or 5 bumpers. :D

RockRunner
02-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Does he still have that tent mobile in the show room??:rolleyes: I can also use some of those storage drawers, I think Christo better order some more stuff in:D:lmao:

calphi27
02-28-2009, 11:41 PM
I am planning on being at the "party" and I have done the flush several times. Will be glad to help you. Are you planning on dropping the tranny oil pan and cleaning the filter screen? Probably a good idea if it hasn't, to your knowledge, ever been done. A pan gasket and a filter gasket are all that would be added to your parts list.

I did it about 4 years ago, but I might as well do it at the wbpp. It was clean then, so that was promising.

4RunrFTW
03-03-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm down for helping folks and general wrenching. This was my first (and only) club event last year, and I had a killer time.

Bruiser
03-03-2009, 01:48 PM
If there is still room, I would like to participate. If not I would still like to come and help. I am a newbie and just got my 40 up and running last fall and it worries me every time I drive it that the PO left an unmaintanined mess behind. Anyway, I have a 78 FJ40 and was hoping to service the front axle.

Colorado80
03-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Ok, I finally got what i need to do. I need the slee blues pressed in and new springs put on. (96 lx450)

RicardoJM
03-03-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm down for helping folks and general wrenching. This was my first (and only) club event last year, and I had a killer time.

Looking forward to seeing you again. IIRC, you were giving me a hand right up to the very end:D.

RicardoJM
03-03-2009, 10:24 PM
If there is still room, I would like to participate. If not I would still like to come and help. I am a newbie and just got my 40 up and running last fall and it worries me every time I drive it that the PO left an unmaintanined mess behind. Anyway, I have a 78 FJ40 and was hoping to service the front axle.

I believe there is still room, I've added you to the list. :thumb:

RicardoJM
03-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Ok, I finally got what i need to do. I need the slee blues pressed in and new springs put on. (96 lx450)

I've put you on the list. Have you done this work before? I ask because I'm not familiar with how much time it takes.

Bruiser
03-04-2009, 02:27 PM
No, I have not done this work before, I just know I need to do it would like to learn. I can collect the parts because I need to do it either way and if there is room and time we can work on mine. If not it looks like there is someone else with a 40 so I can help and learn!

Colorado80
03-04-2009, 09:45 PM
I've put you on the list. Have you done this work before? I ask because I'm not familiar with how much time it takes.

I have replaced the springs before. But I have not done the bushings since I don't have a press. However I do have the press tool. I don't think it should take too long.

Q

timmbuck2
03-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Ricardo, I am officially a Mentor for the WBPP. I will bring my pig in case I get bored an want to fix random stuff. :)

T

waggoner5
03-05-2009, 09:18 AM
5 front axle services is going to make for a REALLY long day for some. I would suggest that you bring your own jack stands.

MDH33
03-05-2009, 10:46 AM
You can take me off the list Ricardo. I don't really have the money right now for parts and such, and I can do my axle and fluids in my garage as time and funds allow.

:beer:

Romer
03-05-2009, 07:03 PM
We are fast approaching this great event. Christo opens his shop up to us as fellow club mates and frequent customers and its important we act like good guests and not take advantage of his generosity.

What that means is there are tasks that will require the help of his staff and specialized equipment like pressing bushings. You should contact Christo ahead of time to work out a fair price for his doing this service or other similar services.

This is an event open to all and a great time for newer members to learn. Club members will be given preference for position within the shop as that’s one of the benefits of being a dues paying member.

You should also be realistic in what your trying to accomplish. Changing your springs here or repacking bearings is something than can easily be accomplished. Bringing control arms dismounted from the vehicle to be pressed could be done as well. It is my opinion, doing a complete Lift change, removing control arms etc is not reasonable to be completed during the time allotted unless you have done a lot of them.

And if you need a part, need some new springs, Bushings etc. Remember Christo sells them, call ahead. I always buy my lift components from Christo because no one I know has better information, tips, suggestions on what works and what doesn't work and I would feel guilty asking a Vendor for help on something I bought elsewhere.

Don't let this talk scare you away. Consider it the discussion of the Trail Leader as he is giving instructions on what he expects of the group as you are about to set out.

New members and non members are welcome at this event and the old timers will be glad to share our knowledge and expertise. We in the club always try and be good guests so we will be asked back again.

RicardoJM
03-06-2009, 09:14 AM
You can take me off the list Ricardo.

Done:thumb:.

4RunrFTW
03-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Well, it turns out I'll be out of the country for the WBPP this year. :-( On the bright side, I will be able to make it to CM. :-)

Rzeppa
03-25-2009, 09:09 PM
5 front axle services is going to make for a REALLY long day for some. I would suggest that you bring your own jack stands.

A typical front axle service takes most of the morning, and is buttoned up or close to it in time for pizza. Everyone is working simultaneously, and those of us who are mentoring and helping out jump from rig to rig and things go much more quickly than by yourself. Normally, the main issue is the weather and whether it is nice and outside work is easy or if the weather is inclement and rigs have to queue up to work indoors.

wesintl
03-31-2009, 10:48 PM
Unfortunately I have to go in at 11:30 and do some work. It's always something. I do hope to come up at 8 and mentor some other folks til 11.

Rzeppa
03-31-2009, 10:58 PM
As of right now, the weather forecast looks a little sketchy for anyone wanting to work outdoors.

RicardoJM
04-01-2009, 08:30 AM
With have just a few days to do. I have been in touch with all those listed on post 1 to discuss parts order. If I have missed you, reach out to me by PM.

Last year we were fortunate to have very nice weather an had many people that were doing their work outdoors this year it does not look like we will have good weather. The forecast is calling for rain turning to snow during the morning on Saturday. Continue to keep an eye on the weather and hope for the best. In the event of inclement weather and tight conditions indoors, I would be inclined to make sure the folks listed in post 1 are indoors.

Borrowing some from Jeff Zepp's final details posts from last year...

Mentors, I could use some help with making sure we have FSM reference for 78 40, 85 4Runner, 95 80 Series - all I have is the FSM for my 71 which is not ideal for the disc brake front ends. If you are listed in post 1 as a Mentor but will not make it, please let me know. If I missed putting you as Mentor and you will be able to make, please let me know.

Participants, Be sure to bring plenty of rags, pans for your fluids, tools (Christo has air but bring your own air tools), gloves, manuals. Don't forget chocks for your wheels. I strongly suggest disposable gloves, axle work is pretty messy and peeling off gloves is a lot easier than dealing with gojo on your hands. I suggest an old toothbrush to help clean your parts in the parts sink, I also like those copper scouring pads. Bring a few cans of brake cleaner. Not just for your brakes, but it's also powerful solvent for some quick cleaning in hard to reach nooks and crannies. Between the nozzle and mechanical methods, we can probably get 2 at a time at the sink. Eye protection is suggested.

We WILL leave our hosts shop as clean or cleaner than when we came in!

Two things come to mind right now: first, everything takes longer than you think it should. There's always something. Some stupid bolt that won't thread back on, some stupid (fill in the blank) that won't come off the way it's supposed to. The second thing is that the most time consuming thing about this will be cleaning your parts. Trailside repairs seldom involve any more cleaning than necessary, but in this case you want to clean everything well, so plan on a lot of scraping, washing and scrubbing.

We want to leave Christo's shop cleaner than we found it so be sure to bring plenty of rags and newspapers/cardboard so we don't mess up his floor and driveway. The cardboard really helps with the clean up process.

We normally share our tools around, but make sure anything you've borrowed gets back to it's owner. Fish scales, hub sockets, seal pullers, seal drivers and torque wrenches come to mind...

The club will buy pizza and sodas, if you want adult beverages, bring them yourself.

We will meet at 8:00AM and start work no later than nine. We will shoot for wrap-up by one, and be out of there by two. Anyone who will be cleaning parts in Christo's parts sink will be expected to make a donation to replenish his solvent, it costs him $180 for replacement of solvent. It also costs him $1 per gallon of fluids to recycle it, so whoever is doing fluids, please plan on making that donation.

I will probably pick up the parts order on Thursday or Friday and put it on my own CC. I will itemize it for participants and expect reimbursement at the event when the parts are delivered. I'll also buy grease at a local parts store. Each participant will get a 4 pound tub which will be enough for a full front axle service plus some to take home.

timmbuck2
04-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Any chance we can reschedule? We had more people outside than inside I think last year...how many trucks can we realistically get inside? 3? maybe 4? No way anyone will get anything done outside in snow and rain and cold......

MDH33
04-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Any chance we can reschedule? We had more people outside than inside I think last year...how many trucks can we realistically get inside? 3? maybe 4? No way anyone will get anything done outside in snow and rain and cold......

Last year there were 2 on the lifts and 3 on the floor inside. I think you and I were the only two wrenching outside in the dirt. :hill:

Jacket
04-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Last year there were 2 on the lifts and 3 on the floor inside. I think you and I were the only two wrenching outside in the dirt. :hill:

Yea - and the person who has the biggest job to do should get the floor spot on the far end away from the door. Last year I had Bill stuck back there for about 3 hours longer than he wanted.... :o

RicardoJM
04-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Any chance we can reschedule?

Not likely, the logistics involved make this event difficult to reschedule. From post 1, we have 5 trucks and last year we had 5 fit indoors. That many trucks is definately tight and I understand there may be others who had been planning to join but did not post up - and we may end up with some that would have to wrench outside - which is a big bummer.

The weather is not within our control and can wreck the best laid plans. However, we are still early on and the weather may not end up being bad. On the positive side, I just looked out the window and do not say any sign of the 2" we should have gotten this morning. On the otherhand, there is also the probability we could wake up to 6" and heavy snowfall on Saturday.

Rzeppa
04-02-2009, 01:21 AM
I had a crazy idea this evening at the meeting, but didn't get to share it then so I will now: How about we get one or more of our canopies for outdoor work? I know at least one of them has side which can attach to it. Might be a bit chilly but at least it would be dry. Thoughts?

sleeoffroad
04-02-2009, 07:52 AM
We can fit 4- 5 inside, depending on what they are. However my gut feeling is that the storm is probably going to fizzle out or not happen as bad as they say. But then my gut could be wrong.

timmbuck2
04-02-2009, 08:34 AM
sub freezing temps and 6-12 inches called for as of this morning

Nay
04-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Ack. I was going to come up as my nutz fell out on the driver's side and I think I have a loose bearing. Have fun!

Red_Chili
04-03-2009, 02:00 PM
I was going to come up as my nutz fell out on the driver's side and I think I have a loose bearing.
That's gotta hurt. Must be REALLY cold where you live.

MDH33
04-03-2009, 02:06 PM

:eek: :D :lmao:

RicardoJM
04-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Parts update ....

I picked up parts at Stevinson and they were short a few:o. Fortunately the missing items are in stock at Burt and they have them in will call for me to pick up on the way home.:D

That said, there seems to be a shortage of c-clips - so we will have to be careful when removing birfields to not seperate the axle shafts. I think I might have an extra clip or two at home that I'll bring along. If others that are attending could bring an extra just in case we should be fine.

Also, I ended up getting a pair of claw washers that is typically not needed.

Nay
04-03-2009, 02:29 PM

Painful. Check yer nutz regularly and consider loctite if you find they keep coming loose.

bh4rnnr
04-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Ack. I was going to come up as my nutz fell out on the driver's side and I think I have a loose bearing. Have fun!

I get mad at mine sometimes but wow:eek::hill::bowdown:

:beer::beer:

mfit
04-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Hey guys. i'm not a member yet. Just moved back to co fulltime. I have some things to do in the early am. if i can, i will make it over by 10-11ish to say hey & help if needed i got exp.

mark

Hulk
04-04-2009, 12:59 AM
You're welcome to come join the crew!

RicardoJM
04-04-2009, 07:03 AM
No snow here on the south side, will be heading out to Golden in a few minutes. See everyone there.