PDA

View Full Version : Tranny & Transfer Case Rebuilder?

Air Randy
02-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Who can you recommend to perform a reasonably priced rebuild of a FJ40 4spd tranny and transfer case? I have no reason to think there is anything wrong with it, but I would like to have it steam cleaned or hot tanked, everything checked out, what ever needs replaced gets replaced, new seals, etc. I'm not in a hurry, I just want to start working towards having it ready to go.

Red_Chili
02-04-2009, 11:50 AM
I would recommend....
MtnTrucker (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/member.php?u=1292)
Rising Sun Member

DIY (http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/r151f/)

"Yes you can."

:lmao:
OK, all joking aside, you really can.

PabloCruise
02-04-2009, 02:28 PM
I can't think of any H42's that fail or need service. You could clean yours and replace gear oil...

T-cases on the other hand I think need service every 50k miles? Jeff Zepp has a good write up on his page about rebuilding and sourcing parts... You just need access to a press.

farnhamstj
02-04-2009, 07:29 PM
I had Joe at CTS in Connifer do 78 fj40 tranny and t-case for me a while back. I was satisfied.

Shark Bait
02-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Randy, I've re-built my Orion so many times I could probably help you with the t-case.

Rzeppa
02-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Who can you recommend to perform a reasonably priced rebuild of a FJ40 4spd tranny and transfer case? I have no reason to think there is anything wrong with it, but I would like to have it steam cleaned or hot tanked, everything checked out, what ever needs replaced gets replaced, new seals, etc. I'm not in a hurry, I just want to start working towards having it ready to go.

The t-case is relatively straightforward for most of us arm chair mechanics. The tranny is a bit more complicated and requires special pullers to get the bearings out. IMHO steam cleaning is not necessary or hot tanking is not necessary for either. Just scrape off the gunga and clean off with solvent like any other mechanical part in your Land Cruiser; a parts washer sink is a wonderful addition to your garage, but I have done this with just a bucket and some mineral spirits with good results. You will develop a lot of karma with your subsystems as you clean off the gunga and meditate.

If you don't want to do it yourself, I highly recommend Marlin of Marlin Crawlers. He's a member of the TLCA Hall of Fame and rebuilds trannies and t-cases in his sleep blindfolded and both arms tied behind his back. Not to mention he's a HUGE Rising Sun supporter and TLCA supporter.

timmbuck2
02-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Randy, I've re-built my Orion so many times I could probably help you with the t-case.

hmm....do I smell a tcase rebuilding party? :bowdown:

I think I bench pressed that Orion into place once or twice. :)

T