PDA

View Full Version : Leather seat renew

farnhamstj
02-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Like many cruisers. The seams on my seat under my posterior have spit and are exposing the foam beneith on both the drivers side and passanger side. The driver's side back rest has a hole worn through to the foam in the usual place. I've been doing some searching on MUD(Nice write up Romer) and reading through the FSM. I've been holding out for New Leather replacement, but I've not gotten a response from the usual MUD leather vendor. I can't wait any more. I pulled the leather covers, separated them from the heating element and have taken them to the local Shoe repair shop. We don't have Upolstry shops in this neck of the woods. She's restitching the torn seams and patching the hole. It won't look factory new but it should last a bit longer. I got a hog wrench and the smallest rings at ACE. I'm a little concerned there not as small as the factory ones. I should get my leather back friday. pic's to follow.

farnhamstj
02-04-2009, 06:22 PM
I took pictures along the way. I'll post up more of the finished product. I also scrubbed all the plastic parts and carpet.

farnhamstj
02-04-2009, 06:25 PM
I feel better already.

Inukshuk
02-04-2009, 08:55 PM
I have to do the same thing but here in Denver we seem to have many option. I just need restitching but probably also a new cushion.

calphi27
02-04-2009, 10:11 PM
I just recovered my saab seats. It is harder than you think. I was out walking my dog and found an auto upholsterer two blocks away that would have made and installed new leather for $100 less than the internet stuff I bought. I used zip ties instead of hog rings.

The sure look good though!

farnhamstj
02-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Just got my leather back. $97 sewn and patched up real nice. pics late or in the am.

farnhamstj
02-07-2009, 04:28 PM
One of the most pleasant and rewarding experiences working on my truck. I reinstalled the leather while sitting on the couch watching ER. I estimate about 5 1/5 hours total. and $120. The seats still look old and dirty but at least I'm not falling through the holes and saying to my self "My seats look like crap" every time I get in. Helped my friend pull the driver seat of his 80 this afternoon. It is much easier on an 80. Due to the wire harness under the seat cushion in the 100. I'm pleased with the results. I would call this a 2 1/2 banana job. If you were only repairing one seat cushion. It could be done in under 3 hours easily.

nakman
02-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Nice Farnham, I love interior mods.. get to use them every time you get in the truck, even if you don't go anywhere! :thumb:

Convert
02-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Looks good Farnham 2:thumb::thumb: