PDA

View Full Version : 83' FJ60 trick out V.S. Newer

motoboyxxx
02-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Howdy-
Have 2 fj60's one is an 86' with an 'Ol man Emu lift on it, nice yokohamas, runs good needs little rust work/paint, and the gear the transfer case is soft (4whl works until vert/under load) but I still Love it daily driver.
Baught a 83' FJ 60 that's almost perfect, inside and out, good body good paint and the 4whl works.
I, as you all are, am a big fan... But these old beasts are gutless and I want to fix up the 83'. Found a header in Cali (Downey offroad) @ $500 ships in April. Wanna put on an 'Ol man EMU lift on it and hopefily a bushwacker type fender flare on all 4 fenders (Bwacker only makes the rear...) Is It even worth it vs dependability and $$$? as I make these phone calls inquiring I am realizing there not allot available.. and no, am not interested in the chevy motor swap idea... Should I just get something newer?
This idea is for daily driver use also camping/ice fishing/backwoods hiking/trips to Blackhawk/going to Punk rock shows (Not so much being winched/flipped over and stuff)
Please help with yes or no's....
Appreciate your ideas and experience in advance..
motoboyxxx

nakman
02-07-2009, 11:28 AM
If you like the 60 body style, then put all the good stuff from the 86 onto the 83 then sell the 86 to further fund the 83. Abandon the fantasy that any add-on engine parts will make it much faster, it all adds up but it will never be fast. Or if you just want a solid cruiser wagon sell them both and get an 80 series. :)

Bikeman
02-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Drop in a SBC. Even on a moden EFI motor, you can add on every imaginable item, and you will only get small #'s, barely felt. Gear swaps can be more beneficial sometimes, too.

60wag
02-07-2009, 05:34 PM
The header will help a bit but first make sure the motor is healthy. Do compression and vacuum tests, make sure the carb is fully functional including the secondary diaphram. Since you have two of them, you could pull the motor from the '83 and warm it up a bit. I recently made the leap from a carbed 2F to a fuel injected 1FZ and would never go back. I really depends how much time you want to put into it. FJ60s rock but 80s are also worth considering.

Convert
02-07-2009, 05:56 PM
If you like the 60 body style, then put all the good stuff from the 86 onto the 83 then sell the 86 to further fund the 83. Abandon the fantasy that any add-on engine parts will make it much faster, it all adds up but it will never be fast. Or if you just want a solid cruiser wagon sell them both and get an 80 series. :)

X2 Cruisers aren't fast

farnhamstj
02-07-2009, 06:15 PM
60's are dinosaurs. 80's are bigger more ferocious dinosaurs. A $500 header will make little impact. Sorry, Sure it'll feel quicker for about the 1st day after you install it. Then some VW bus will pass you on the interstate and you'll realize how slow you are. Save the $500. Skip the flares also a waste of money as CO does not require tires to be covered that much. Unless you got a rig like RedChili, we let him have fender flares.

In all seriousness. For dependability and all around good value. Sell them both and buy a 80 series with locking diferentials. It will take you places that you never would have imagined.

Corbet
02-07-2009, 09:12 PM
If it were me I'd sell the 86 and do a TBI conversion on the 2F. Move the parts over etc... The TBI will just make it better in all conditions. On and off road. But a 2F is never going to be fast, or quick, or even offer average acceleration. its just a :snail:

Flame suit on....

80's are great and I love mine but there something about a 60.

Myredyota
02-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Let's see if I know who you are... Is your current driver/first 60 white and your "new" 60 red?

Please do not molest the body on the red one! Maybe lift it a little and add some bigger meats and use it as a cool daily driver (keep it clean and dent free!). Then throw some money towards your white one and have a ball with it!:beer:

Trapper50cal
02-08-2009, 10:14 AM
I desmogged and was amazed...it felt like I got another 10% on acceleration, after a valve adjustment, new vacuum lines, and intake/exhaust gasket and a tune (Cap/Rotor/carb diaphram/wires/plugs/filters)..I expect another 5% and this is all w/o a header. Maybe I've just been behind the wheel of a 2F too long but that was just fine for me. I can't go over 75 but I can accelerate up hills in third...

oh and.....

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/6899/nicephone11509dg5.jpg
By trapper50cal (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/trapper50cal) at 2009-01-23

I'm such a pix hussy

Hulk
02-08-2009, 12:35 PM
60s are cool, but why keep two of them? Build one the way you like it and sell the other. You can use the money to continue to make your remaining 60 as awesome as it can be, buy a cheap Honda Civic for fuel efficient daily driving, or buy a minitruck so you have a truck.

Beater
02-08-2009, 01:09 PM
old iron is always cooler than new, and never more convenient or fast... if you need two vehicles, go with a cheap dd.

if one, well, the order of the day is compromise

Trapper50cal
02-08-2009, 08:10 PM
old iron is always cooler than new, and never more convenient or fast

That is SO true:bowdown:

motoboyxxx
02-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Hey Guys-
Thanks a ton for all yer opinions. After realizing this bang would not worth tha bucks, I am going to sell the cherry red FJ60 '83 and will just keep the '86. Wishful thinking strikes again... (Once more thanks to the club for saving me all that money and time almost wasted on my project.)
Peace-out
Motoboyxxx