PDA

View Full Version : Striped t-case drain plug

farnhamstj
02-07-2009, 05:47 PM
That pretty well describes it. I noticed 90wt seep on my t-case from the drain plug. Put the 24mm on gave it a light tug and it was stripped:eek: Good news is I'm headed to Christo's shop on monday for a skid plate. Anyone got recommendation on how to repair it. I assume it's the Alu case and not the Bolt that's stripped. I don't really want to drain it and have a look now. I have no idea how long it's been like this. I haven't noticed any dripping on my driveway. I don't recall stripping it last time I changed the fluid, nor do I really remember the last time I did, Maybe before CM08. Is there an over sized thread plug? or does one heli-coil? :rant:

DaveInDenver
02-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Helicoil does make big repair kits. The plug will be 18mm x 1.5 threads. Now whether or not an 18mm Helicoil kit is cost effective for a one-off repair, probably not (I'd bet on $100 for a kit). Wonder if Slee has the Helicoil kit, I'd think so.

As to why, maybe you had the truck serviced someplace and they used the wrong plug gasket. There are two difference ones, one for aluminum stuff (like our transfer cases are aluminum) and the other for steel (like axle housings and H42 tranny cases). One gasket crushes easier than the other, you see why.

I've seen temp plugs that are expanding rubber stoppers, if it's leaking enough that driving it might be a problem

farnhamstj
02-07-2009, 06:47 PM
It seems fine to drive. I'll look for a puddle under it the next few days. I don't know it if can be taped to a larger size or what the protocol is. I do use a Quicky lube place for oil changes and they do a "full sevice" I understand opening the fill plug. But I don't think they would touch the drain. Hopefully Slee's got some extra time monday and the parts in stock. I don't want to chase the parts myself. It's a little more difficult up here than for you city folks.

corsair23
02-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Researched this a bit when I discovered my AT pan or bolt is stripped. In the end I decided to get a new pan but folks here suggested hitting up Napa for an oversized bolt or one that rethreads the hole (probably a technical term for it).

Here was the thread --> http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=7201

I also recall when I was at Napa buying an oversized bolt that they had this pretty cool ones that were oversized and in the center they had a smaller bolt. So, you put the new oversized one in and cranked it down, and then the next time you needed to drain the fluid you removed the smaller center bolt.

farnhamstj
02-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Ok, I'm an idiot. With the light of day and a clear head. Sure enough it's the fill plug. And it probably was the quicky lube folks. I'll call them in the AM and see what there policy is. I presume I can have Slee do the repair and present them with the bill. Or at least they'll cover it with coupons.

farnhamstj
02-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Went to Slee monday. I've now got a new rear cover on my t-case. Stopped by the Quickey Lube this afternoon. The owner was very apologetic and wrote me a check for $539. Well handled and I'll go back there again for more oil changes. I'll be more insistant that I don't need them to check anything else. Just the oil and filter.

corsair23
02-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Went to Slee monday. I've now got a new rear cover on my t-case. Stopped by the Quickey Lube this afternoon. The owner was very apologetic and wrote me a check for $539. Well handled and I'll go back there again for more oil changes. I'll be more insistant that I don't need them to check anything else. Just the oil and filter.

Wow! Kudos to the shop for stepping up like that :thumb:

Wish there were more businesses like that.

DaveInDenver
02-25-2009, 06:37 AM
Wow! Kudos to the shop for stepping up like that :thumb:

Wish there were more businesses like that.
Yeah, $500 isn't chump change for him I'd guess. It's nice when things go right.

Rzeppa
02-25-2009, 10:49 PM
I've seen temp plugs that are expanding rubber stoppers, if it's leaking enough that driving it might be a problem

Heh: Lab rubber stoppers work great. Glad the Quickie lube owner stepped up, I wish there were more businesses that stood behind their work.