PDA

View Full Version : rear disc brake bracket pics

nuclearlemon
02-07-2009, 09:45 PM
randy, here's a shot of my rear brake bracket. it looks like mine is clocked a bit upwards. iirc, there were a few different holes, wonder if your brackets can just be bolted into different ones?

also, you want to order this kit from kurt http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/lock_FA7590.html
and tell him you also need the wheel bearings. they don't come in the kit. also, look at the backside of the knuckle and make sure the two metal half pieces that bolt on look good, if not, tell him you need the knuckle wiper kit also (if they look good, don't order them because you'll double up on the felts and rubbers just to get the metal half pieces). the metal half pieces that i'm talking about are the halfround pieces you can see here
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/wipersets.html

RicardoJM
02-08-2009, 08:50 AM
also, you want to order this kit from kurt http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/lock_FA7590.html
and tell him you also need the wheel bearings. they don't come in the kit. also, look at the backside of the knuckle and make sure the two metal half pieces that bolt on look good, if not, tell him you need the knuckle wiper kit also (if they look good, don't order them because you'll double up on the felts and rubbers just to get the metal half pieces). the metal half pieces that i'm talking about are the halfround pieces you can see here
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/wipersets.html

Yup Ige, that is very good information for Randy ;)

Air Randy
02-08-2009, 11:35 PM
I dropped the diff out today. The gasket came off fine, no cracks or tears. But, looking closely with a good drop light I saw what looked like a crack right in the area where it was leaking. I got a razor blade and started scraping the area, turns out there was a 2" piece of old gasket still on the housing face. I got it off with the razor blade and got everything put back together. I used silicon on the gasket so I'm letting it set up over night before I had gear oil, but I'm betting the leak is fixed.

I also was able to relocate the caliper brackets so they clear the springs now. I had to do some grinding to make it work but it looks like it should be better this way.

I'm going to order my front end parts on Monday and start tearing the front end down to the point we had it on Saturday. That way if we can get together next weekend, we should be able to knock out the rebuild and get it back together fairly quick.

RicardoJM
02-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Here is a link on the Aisin hubs (http://www.off-road.com/offroad/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=399668) that I found very informative. If you have not called for parts yet, you might want to also want to get the rubber rings.

As long as we are discussing parts, if you separate the axle shafts from the birfs you will need new clips they often do not survive the separation process. To make cleaning the birf, cage and balls easy it helps to separate the axles. You might also want to consider getting new claw washers and nuts. I had groves worn into my claw washers and ended up replacing them to address an issue I had with setting the pre-load. These items are relatively inexpensive.

Regarding the tear down, you will need to get a bit farther than our Saturday point. The additional step will be to remove the caps from the knuckles, and get the knuckle off. As you get the caps seperated from the knuckles there are thin spacer plates that you need to keep track of. These plates need to go back into the same location when everything goes back together. From what I understand, removing the knuckle caps is sometimes easy (mine were) and sometimes tough.

RicardoJM
02-09-2009, 08:18 AM
I'm betting the leak is fixed.

I also was able to relocate the caliper brackets so they clear the springs now.

Sounds like great news on both points. :thumb:

Chris
02-09-2009, 09:08 AM
turns out there was a 2" piece of old gasket still on the housing face. I got it off with the razor blade and got everything put back together. I used silicon on the gasket so I'm letting it set up over night before I had gear oil, but I'm betting the leak is fixed.

Good to hear Randy, willing to bet it's dry today! :thumb:

Air Randy
02-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Ricardo,

Thanks for all of the info. I was planning on taking it down as far as I can get it on my own, but was also gonna see if you and Ige (and anyone else) wanted to come down and "supervise" again.

I'm sure with my FSM I can do it on my own, but this is supposed to be about having fun. When Ige is supervising I spend a great deal of time saying "yes dear" and rolling my eyes. Watching you go through the "righty tighty lefty loosey" gyrations keeps me entertained all day.

I have a nice heated shop and this time we'll fire up the BBQ and do burgers & dogs. If it's a reasonably warm day others could bring their rigs down and use the unheated bays for front end service or whatever else they want to do. I have several sets of jack stands and air on both sides. Now thats fun!

timmbuck2
02-09-2009, 09:46 AM
I obviously need to do the front end on the pig again, the passenger seal had obviously failed, the grease was in much worse condition that the driver's side. Plus I don't think the trunion bearings had been replaced.

nuclearlemon
02-09-2009, 11:01 AM
i will be there. ricardo, will you be there with the spring for the hub? if not, can you bring it to the ham thing tonight and i'll grab it from ya?

you may think it will go fast, but cleaning is the worst. this is one time when you will want to wear rubber gloves and you'll go through about a half a roll of paper towels.

you don't need to take the birf off. i dont' unless it's a junkyard front end with dried/rusty grease. you push new grease in one side of the birf ball and it will push the old grease out the other side. but i'll be there, so i'll show ya.

pm me your addy.

RicardoJM
02-09-2009, 12:06 PM
ricardo, will you be there with the spring for the hub? if not, can you bring it to the ham thing tonight and i'll grab it from ya?

IIRC, upon closer inspection the drivers side hub did have the spring it was not really visible on our first look. I would like to be there and will have the spring, but also IIRC I have a couple of springs so I can get one to you tonight - that way if at least one of us is there a spring will also be there. :thumb:

Air Randy
02-09-2009, 01:29 PM
So lets plan a start time of 9 AM on Saturday unless someone wants it later/earlier. I ordered my stuff from Kurt and he said it will be here by Wed/Thur.

Timm, if you're coming down you bring the beer. I will have soft drinks and hot dogs. If anyone else is coming, please RSVP to make sure we have enough of everything to go around.

:rant: Ige Warning-warning this address is south of I-70:rant:
Go to Franktown to the junction of Hwy 86 & Hwy 83, this is south of Parker and East of Castle Rock. From Franktown go east on Hwy 86 towards Elizabeth 3.3 miles; turn left on Deer Path into the Bannockburn subdivision; go to first left turn which is Deer Trail and turn left; go to first right turn which is Columbine Drive and turn right; I am the first driveway on the right; once you turn in the driveway follow the gravel road to the left which takes you behind the house and to the shop. Drive slow and watch for dogs!

If you have GPS the address is 1376 Columbine Drive. If it's a cooler day and you have either propane or kerosene space heaters, feel free to bring them if you want to work on the unheated side.

timmbuck2
02-09-2009, 01:38 PM
I will supply you guys some beer, but doubt I can get out of the house 2 saturday's in a row...

nuclearlemon
02-09-2009, 02:51 PM
IIRC, upon closer inspection the drivers side hub did have the spring it was not really visible on our first look. I would like to be there and will have the spring, but also IIRC I have a couple of springs so I can get one to you tonight - that way if at least one of us is there a spring will also be there. :thumb:

are you sure you were looking at the right spring? iirc, there are two. one that's integral to the dial portion and then the big spring that holds that gear in.

RicardoJM
02-09-2009, 03:30 PM
are you sure you were looking at the right spring? iirc, there are two. one that's integral to the dial portion and then the big spring that holds that gear in.

I'm sure/unsure enough that I'm planning on bringing the spring tonight. ;)