PDA

View Full Version : Burning CDs for LX450

corsair23
02-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Long shot but has anyone had luck burning CDs for the stock stereo/CD changer in a LX450 and if so how many songs did you burn onto the CD and in what format did you burn them? I burnt some CDs awhile back and the stereo/cd changer won't read them. I'm thinking I either tried to stick too many songs on the disk or used the wrong format. They play fine in the computer but that is 12 years newer :hill:

Before I turn anymore CD-Rs into psychedelic mini-frisbees I figured I'd check here for suggestions :)

DaveInDenver
02-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Are you making them audio CDs or MP3? Stock radios might not play MP3 CDs (the one in our 4Runner doesn't and it's a 2005, that didn't come standard until 2006). But it has no issue with CD-Rs burned as regular audio CDs.

corsair23
02-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Are you making them audio CDs or MP3? Stock radios might not play MP3 CDs (the one in our 4Runner doesn't and it's a 2005, that didn't come standard until 2006). But it has no issue with CD-Rs burned as regular audio CDs.

I'm an audiophile illiterate :hill: - I burned them using Windows Media Player and they are MP3s...Guess I need to figure out how to burn them a different way huh?

DaveInDenver
02-08-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm an audiophile illiterate :hill: - I burned them using Windows Media Player and they are MP3s...Guess I need to figure out how to burn them a different way huh?
Yeah, prolly no MP3 for that old LX450 junk. ;-) I'm one of those evil Mac people, so I use iTunes or Toast to make CDs. Both them give you an option that explicitly says 'audio' CD. This is the traditional CD audio format, 74 minutes, no compression, etc. So if the CD limits you to 74 minutes then you have it right. If you can pack 100 songs on the CD, then it's using the MP3 and that ain't a-gonna work.

Shark Bait
02-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Your Scion upgrade would play MP3s. :D

Romer
02-08-2009, 06:58 PM
works for me, just make a standard audio disk and not a data disk

barCruiser
02-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Yea I burn with itunes and they play fine in the changer, you might want to try a different brand CD-R, I think different brands may have a different color on the burning side. i just remember when I first started burning cd's back in the day the old cd players were kinda picky about which brand burned cd's would play.

Hulk
02-09-2009, 04:07 PM
If you use iTunes, it should be easy. Just select "Audio CD" rather than "MP3 CD." iTunes is available for the PC, for free from Apple, and you don't need to own an iPod to use it.

Windows Media Player may have this option as well. A complete CD will hold no more than 12-16 average length songs -- if you're over this, you're probably creating the wrong kind.

You could also use Nero or Roxio, probably.

corsair23
02-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the ideas :thumb:

Like I said, I'm not real smart when it comes to this stuff (heck, I just learned how to "rip" a CD last year :hill:). All I know is the songs are in MP3 format before I burn them and I burnt them using Windows Media Player. I could fit maybe 18-20 songs per CD. I was using fancy colored CDs (black, blue, gold, etc.). I think I'll try it again using both Windows MP and maybe Roxio but burning fewer songs per CD this time around. If that doesn't work then maybe I'll try non-fancy CDs. The good news is I have some mini frisbees for this year's picnic :lmao:

Does it matter that the CD-Rs I used were 80 minute ones vs the other type (74 minute or something)?

Hulk
02-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Does it matter that the CD-Rs I used were 80 minute ones vs the other type (74 minute or something)?

Possibly. Do you still have the stock 1996 CD player in your LX450? I seem to recall that 74 minute CDs worked more reliably in older CD players than the 80 minute CDs.

Unrelated Trivia Question: what year did you purchase your first CD player? I was just talking about this with my wife. I purchased my first CD player in Jan. 1985. It was a JVC model that was overly bright. Some of the cassette tapes I made from it still sound really boosted in the upper ranges.

Romer
02-09-2009, 05:43 PM
The lexus CD changer will not play MP3's. It will a standard audio disk so that must have been the problem.

Hulk
02-09-2009, 05:49 PM
All I know is the songs are in MP3 format before I burn them and I burnt them using Windows Media Player. I could fit maybe 18-20 songs per CD.

If you could only fit 18-20 songs per CD, then you were probably burning them the correct way.

An MP3 CD will usually hold ~130 songs.

corsair23
02-09-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm amazed that no one has yet said:

"Start simple...Are you loading the CDs the right side up, which is the wrong side up? You know, in the cd changer you need to load the disks with the read side up and the label side down."

I'm just saying... :doh: