PDA

View Full Version : CB Radio Suggestion?

LETSROLL
02-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Hi All, I see there's a requirement to have a CB radio in your vehicle for CM09. Can someone make a sugestion on a brand and also where to get it? Assuming it's not a hand held, is there a suggestion for the antenna as well?
Thanks, LETSROLL

Hulk
02-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Uniden and Cobra are both good brands. You will be much happier with a radio that is installed in your vehicle than a handheld radio.

Buy a decent mid-line radio from a good brand and have it peaked for maximum range. Then invest in a very good antenna, which makes a big difference. Don't mount the antenna parallel to to another metal surface if possible -- you'll get much better range.

I'm a fan of this place:

Radio Service Center
918 South Sheridan Boulevard
Denver, CO 80226
(303) 922-8107

The nice thing about buying a CB radio from a place like this is that they can tune your radio for maximum performance. You buy a new radio from them, then pay an extra fee (like $30) for them to open the radio and tune it up. You'll have better transmission power than a stock, out-of-the-box radio.

wesintl
02-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Skip the cb and go right to ham.

It'll be interesting to see how much chatter there is on cb with most of the club and more than a few participants using ham now.

Uncle Ben
02-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Uniden and Cobra are both good brands. You will be much happier with a radio that is installed in your vehicle than a handheld radio.

Buy a decent mid-line radio from a good brand and have it peaked for maximum range. Then invest in a very good antenna, which makes a big difference. Don't mount the antenna parallel to to another metal surface if possible -- you'll get much better range.

I'm a fan of this place:

Radio Service Center
Denver, CO 80226
(303) 922-8107

The nice thing about buying a CB radio from a place like this is that they can tune your radio for maximum performance. You buy a new radio from them, then pay an extra fee (like $30) for them to open the radio and tune it up. You'll have better transmission power than a stock, out-of-the-box radio.

Great advice, all around! :thumb::thumb:

Hulk
02-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Skip the cb and go right to ham.

It'll be interesting to see how much chatter there is on cb with most of the club and more than a few participants using ham now.

A CB is a requirement for Cruise Moab this year. Not enough trail leaders have both ham and CB to justify the either/or requirement. The thinking is that most ham guys will still have a CB radio, or at minimum a handheld unit.

Wasn't my suggestion -- I'm a lover of all things ham. :)

JohnInDenver
02-10-2009, 11:26 PM
I have both HAM and CB. Spend the least possible on a tuned CB setup.

Went wheeling with someone that purchased one of the chepo combo units from Walmart (hang it out the window) and he had about 1/8 a mile coverage :(.

I have a Uniden 510 ($33) and Wilson Magnetic Mount Little Wil CB Antenna ($40 ). The Little Wil was tuned at Camelot before they went out of business ($10 to tune the CB and HAM). It works fine for wheeling but the HAM is 10 times better.

John
KDODCU

LARGEONE
02-11-2009, 11:22 AM
I recently purchased a CB as well (Cobra 75 xt, I think, off e-bay) and was wondering if I can mount the antenna on my front ARB? If so, is it OK to just mount it where there is already a light tab on the top tubing, or is it better to drill a hole in the actual flat part of the bumper and mount it there? I purchased a 4' tunable firestik antenna if that makes any difference.

Also, my coax cable is longer than it needs to be. Is it OK to put make a loose wind with the excess cable and secure it? Or does it have to be shortened? I'd rather keep the excess in case I ever decide to move the mount to the rear.

Thanks.

Bruce Miller
02-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Did you mean tune the antenna to the transceiver for $30? Because if you're paying somebody any amount of money to "tune" your CB radio, you're getting ripped off. You cannot "tune" your CB radio to have better transmission. You can tune your antenna to your radio, though. Is that what you meant to say?

Uncle Ben
02-11-2009, 12:48 PM
The brand or quality of the CB receiver is only marginally relative to transmit/receive quality! Antennas are everything! Same with Ham for the most part. A quality antenna along with good quality grounding and wiring with a cheapo transceiver will out shine the highest quality transceiver with a mediocre antenna and/or bad wiring! That said, I also have the Cobra 75WX transceiver in my 80 and I really like it. I am using a Wilson 5 foot fiberglass top loaded whip along with braided ground straps and weather tight bonded/shielded coax. For a CB it gets out pretty good. I used to think it had some real range before listened to the Devils advocate, Nathanial, and got into 2 meter. :rolleyes: In my opinion, CB is still manditory in a trail rig and 2 meter is an extremely wise choice! It is rare in RS to need the CB but nearly every run still CB is needed for communication for 90% of other trail users out there!

Bruce Miller
02-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Also, my coax cable is longer than it needs to be. Is it OK to put make a loose wind with the excess cable and secure it? Or does it have to be shortened? I'd rather keep the excess in case I ever decide to move the mount to the rear.
Coil the extra coax into about an 8" diameter loop then zip tie the loop in its center to form a figure 8 in the coil. Doing this will prevent your introducing problems into your antenna system (read: high SWR) from a circular coil causing unwanted inductance in your antenna feed line. Make sense?

MDH33
02-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Coil the extra coax into about an 8" diameter loop then zip tie the loop in its center to form a figure 8 in the coil. Doing this will prevent your introducing problems into your antenna system (read: high SWR) from a circular coil causing unwanted inductance in your antenna feed line. Make sense?

I have been having trouble transmitting in my 40. I have a Cobra 19DXIV and a 3' Firestik antenna. I have about 10 feet of extra coax that I have coiled and zip tied as Bruce suggested. I also grounded my antenna directly to my frame and have no continuity between the center pin of the coax and the outer threaded portion. I wired the CB direct to the battery. I hooked up the SWR and I get a nice low reading. However, no one can hear me on runs and when they do, they tell me it is very garbled and noisy...

Any ideas? I would really like to finally get this thing working... before I put the new HAM in and start having trouble with that too. :o

Groucho
02-11-2009, 02:19 PM
I have been having trouble transmitting in my 40. I have a Cobra 19DXIV and a 3' Firestik antenna. I have about 10 feet of extra coax that I have coiled and zip tied as Bruce suggested. I also grounded my antenna directly to my frame and have no continuity between the center pin of the coax and the outer threaded portion. I wired the CB direct to the battery. I hooked up the SWR and I get a nice low reading. However, no one can hear me on runs and when they do, they tell me it is very garbled and noisy...

Any ideas? I would really like to finally get this thing working... before I put the new HAM in and start having trouble with that too. :o

Can you drive it to the HAM class monday night? I'd like to see for myself what is happening...

Uncle Ben
02-11-2009, 02:28 PM

Borrow someones Mic and try it!

MDH33
02-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Can you drive it to the HAM class monday night? I'd like to see for myself what is happening...

Will Do. :thumb:

Borrow someones Mic and try it!

That's what Randy suggested too and we swapped out the mic on the last snow run and no change. :confused:

DaveInDenver
02-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Did you mean tune the antenna to the transceiver for $30? Because if you're paying somebody any amount of money to "tune" your CB radio, you're getting ripped off. You cannot "tune" your CB radio to have better transmission. You can tune your antenna to your radio, though. Is that what you meant to say?
You are 100% right that you cannot legally 'tune-up' a radio to transmit more power than is legal for a CB (4W carrier power), but there is nothing wrong with having a tech refurbish a radio to bring it up to spec.

It's an RF device like any other. CBs are usually very old designs (if not just simply old in age) and are usually full of discrete parts. Caps in particular age and drift out of tolerance, which can degrade performance badly. The guys at Radio Service Center when they do a 'tune-up' give the radio a once over, R&R bad parts and bring the radio up to legal limits, which is a perfectly legitimate thing to have done.

LARGEONE
02-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Thank you, Bruce. I knew there would be a trick!

Is it also important to not run the COAX parallel to other electrical (12V) lines? I know with speaker wire in my surround sound at home, I had to make sure to try to cross 110v power at 90* and not run it parallel.

Thanks for your help.

farnhamstj
02-12-2009, 12:14 AM
I recomend drilling a hole in the flat horizontal part of the ARB bumper. The light tab holes are too big and your antenea will work it's way loose. I have a 48" firestick with a quick release at the base. I think it was $20. I also have a Uniden CB about a $45 model that's small. coax cable was like $15. They come in certain sizes I asume they need to be certain lengths to function properly. Be sure you get a coax cable that you can unthread one end in order to pass it through the firewall. Don't forget the Mount. connects the co to the antenea. fits into 5/8 hole that you drill into the arb. About $5. I never tuned mine and it has a couple-three mile range sounds pretty good. Give yourself more time than you think to install it well and try it a few times before CM. It sucks running around last minute on something so easy to do before hand. www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/
I agree do not pay for a "tune the radio" before it is shiped to you. The antenea is tuneable with some help from your friends.

Groucho
02-12-2009, 07:43 AM
You are 100% right that you cannot legally 'tune-up' a radio to transmit more power than is legal for a CB (4W carrier power), but there is nothing wrong with having a tech refurbish a radio to bring it up to spec.

It's an RF device like any other. CBs are usually very old designs (if not just simply old in age) and are usually full of discrete parts. Caps in particular age and drift out of tolerance, which can degrade performance badly. The guys at Radio Service Center when they do a 'tune-up' give the radio a once over, R&R bad parts and bring the radio up to legal limits, which is a perfectly legitimate thing to have done.

Absolutely. If someone owns a CB that has been a very stable workhorse for years, the FCC regs prohibiting internal modifications state that certain exemptions are allowed, primarily repair or servicing of a CB transmitter to include changing plug-ins that were certified as part of that CB transmitter's design. It is like getting new belts on the cruiser. Parts that are, by design, going to wear out can be replaced, that way the maximum efficiency can be maintained.

Of course the argument then is, a new CB radio is only $10-$20 more than repairing the unit at $30 (which may or may not include replacement parts), so how much do you love your grandfather's CB? (I myself have and sometimes use my grandfather's CB. It is a Realistic, if that gives any indication to how old it is. But it works.)

Groucho
02-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Thank you, Bruce. I knew there would be a trick!

Is it also important to not run the COAX parallel to other electrical (12V) lines? I know with speaker wire in my surround sound at home, I had to make sure to try to cross 110v power at 90* and not run it parallel.

Thanks for your help.

It is not as consequential to keep 12V lines away from coax as it is to, say, keep from squeezing the coax (for example when we run a mag-mount antenna's coax through the door and squash it when the door closes).

Most vehicles today have wiring running down both sides of the vehicle, so staying away from the 12V lines may be more difficult than practical. Ideally the coax should be on its own, yes. Realistically, being able to do this may be more trouble than its worth. The principal idea behind mobile installations is to minimize as much interference as possible, because it will never go away entirely.

DaveInDenver
02-12-2009, 12:52 PM
A couple of points to add to Groucho's comments.

1. Regarding CB and repairs. I should have mentioned that repairs have to be done by FCC licensed techs, this is not something that you can legally do yourself. That is very much unlike ham, where you are not only allowed but expected to tinker with your radios!

2. As far as repairing an old radio vs. buying a new one, that's a valid point that it might not necessarily be all that much savings. Although $20 saved is $20 more you have, not to mention it's a lot better than tossing an old radio into the trash, right? Plus, even a new radio isn't necessarily perfectly tuned, it's been handled a lot coming from China, experienced temp changes, humidity changes, things burn-in during the first few hours of use. It possible that even a year old radio is already under performing quite a bit. Just like a brand new engine breaks in, etc., so do electronics. In fact everything that is launched into space is already used for hundreds of hours to make sure everything has drifted, burned-in, failed if it's going to, etc. And these are $5 resistors, thousands of dollar ICs and ASICs and the like with known history and ultra careful handling. Still ESD will occasionally get a part, natural fall out will kill a part, etc.

3. In car installations it's not 12VDC that is the problem, but switching. The problem with running a coax next to a static 12VDC wire is more that you might induce noise into the car system more than the radio (i.e. make dash lights flicker, screw up your clock, weirdness like that). But if you run a coax next to say some of the wires that run to or from the ECU, then 12V switching is more than enough to introduce noise into the radio coax. It's safest to consider every wire potentially switching and do your orthogonality checks and keep separation. But that's also not really practical all the time, so sometimes you have to make due. This is also a function of the quality of your coax, workmanship on connectors, etc. Good coax can shield the signal better than cheap coax, so it's less likely to leak or be susceptible to induced noise.

MDH33
02-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Hmmm... This discussion about noise from the coax running parallel to 12V wires has me wondering. When I re-wired my CB direct to the battery, I ran the wires through the same grommet in my firewall as my coax. Could this be my problem??

Beater
02-12-2009, 07:57 PM
find a k40, with a k40 antenna.

teamextreme
02-12-2009, 10:26 PM
The Little Wil was tuned at Camelot before they went out of businessDODCU

Bummer, they are (were) right by my work and I was planning on stopping by there to pick up a CB next week. Guess I have to go to the place way over on Sheridan now. Any other places in town worth trying? I gave up on buying the cheapos at Wallyworld after going thru two that only lasted a year or two each.

nakman
02-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Hmmm... This discussion about noise from the coax running parallel to 12V wires has me wondering. When I re-wired my CB direct to the battery, I ran the wires through the same grommet in my firewall as my coax. Could this be my problem??

Martin you should see the grommet on the firewall in my 80... I don't think you could get another wire through that sucker if you had to, I must have 30 wires crammed through the thing.... CB, ham, rock lights, fog lights, seat heaters, OBA, stuff I can't identify, even the CB antenna.. if there's a god of electrical interference he is no doubt cursing my name and planning my eternal damnation as we speak.. :D

but I don't have any problems transmitting on CB or Ham, the only issue I get is when the inverter is on in back I get a little CB interference, and I've chosen not to worry about since I don't use either that often, and even less often at the same time. :hill:

LARGEONE
02-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for all of the great info.

I guess if this thread continues as it is...it should probably move over to the tech section?!! I will make an attempt at the CB install next weekend and see how it goes from there.

Ron Helmuth
03-17-2009, 11:00 AM
all good helpful info guys thanks very much. I am linking it over to the thread in "General Chit Chat"

always lurking

Hulk
03-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Hmmm, I didn't notice what forum this was in. We should probably move it. Should we put it in Tech Chat or Ham Radio Corner? Does the Ham Radio section include CB stuff? Seems like it should.

nakman
03-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Hmmm, I didn't notice what forum this was in. We should probably move it. Should we put it in Tech Chat or Ham Radio Corner? Does the Ham Radio section include CB stuff? Seems like it should.

IMO the Ham Radio section sould be renamed to Ham & CB, or Communications, or something a little more ambiguous than just Ham.

And then sure, move it! :D

Hulk
03-17-2009, 11:22 PM
IMO the Ham Radio section sould be renamed to Ham & CB, or Communications, or something a little more ambiguous than just Ham.

And then sure, move it! :D

Done and done. :thumb:

Ron Helmuth
03-18-2009, 01:22 PM
thanks Matt for the move

85Toy
03-20-2009, 12:52 PM
I am no expert (also do not play one on TV), but am sharing my recent experience. I also did not have a CB so I did a little research, particularly looking for units with a front speaker that could be mounded above or below a single DIN radio in my 4Runner. I narrowed the CB choices down to 2 units. The Cobra 18 WX ST II for about $65 including Shipping on Amazon or the Uniden PRO538W also on Amazon for $55.69 shipped. Both met my size and speaker requirement and have Weather channels. I chose the Uniden because it has RF gain control and the Cobra did not.

I ordered the "Little Wil" Wilson CB Magnet Mount Antenna. From Amazon, the antennae was $38.42 with shipping. I plan to take them into the CB shop on Sheridan for "tuning".

Hulk
03-20-2009, 01:27 PM
I narrowed the CB choices down to 2 units. The Cobra 18 WX ST II for about $65 including Shipping on Amazon or the Uniden PRO538W also on Amazon for $55.69 shipped. Both met my size and speaker requirement and have Weather channels. I chose the Uniden because it has RF gain control and the Cobra did not.

I plan to take them into the CB shop on Sheridan for "tuning".

I had to order the Cobra unit because the Uniden would not fit -- it was too deep. That's cool that you were able to get the Uniden. Please post up some pictures of your install when it is all done.

You won't be sorry that you paid to have your new radio tweaked for best output. It makes a big difference.

rover67
03-21-2009, 08:59 PM
I just got a peaked and tuned Uniden 520 from the radio shop recommended on Sheridan. Really really nice guy. After getting the HAM radio I decided to get a CB with a smaller chassis than my old Uniden PC78LTW so I could hide it.

Radio Services wasn't the cheapest by far (amazon, ebay cheaper), but you know, it was nice to be able to drive there this morning, talk to the guy that runs the place and let him tell me what he'd run.

I also traded him the short Firestik antenna I had to go on the hood (bought to replace my 5 footer mounted on my bumper) with a 4 foot stainless whip antenna. It's nice skinny stainless that is easy to see past which I like. Not like the big fiberglass ones. It'll look nice since it almost matches the Groucho Special 2 meter antenna on the other side of the hood. I honestly I think it is going to work better than the firestik did... we'll see.

Anyways, really nice guy to deal with.

I'll have it hooked up tomorrow and we'll see how it works... now that I have been spoiled by the HAM it seems like my expectations are pretty low... but we'll see. LARGEONE, If you want me to swing by tomorrow so we can check the radios let me know.. I'm just down the road in Lafayette. Might be nice to get a "trail distance" apart and check them.

MDH33
04-15-2009, 05:07 PM

I'm a fan of this place:

Radio Service Center
Denver, CO 80226
(303) 922-8107

I visited Radio Service Center today and FINALLY got my CB troubles figured out. I had issues with both my radio and my antenna ground. What a nice guy. He spent a bunch of time trouble shooting my rig. His prices are higher than internet shops, but I was glad to support his shop and appreciated his time to answer my dumb questions and help me out. He even cut his lunch break short. :thumb:

pmccumber
04-20-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm up in Longmont and was looking for an aux speaker. I got my system down at Radio Service Center and forgot the speaker. I visited Radio Shack and Best Buy and neither of them carry a small speaker and longer. Kind of amazing I thought.

Any suggestions?

Shark Bait
04-20-2009, 08:42 PM
What vehicle is it for?

pmccumber
04-20-2009, 10:02 PM
what Vehicle Is It For?

1995 Fzj-80

Shark Bait
04-20-2009, 10:11 PM
1995 Fzj-80

People use the little speakers in the dash for an external CB speaker. They don't add much to the overall sound in your 80, so you won't miss them. I know for sure Hulk has done this. Search this site and also IH8MUD. Maybe it's only the one by the glove box door.

pmccumber
04-20-2009, 11:26 PM
People use the little speakers in the dash for an external CB speaker. They don't add much to the overall sound in your 80, so you won't miss them. I know for sure Hulk has done this. Search this site and also IH8MUD. Maybe it's only the one by the glove box door.

That's a good idea. I give a look. Thanks.

Hulk
04-20-2009, 11:56 PM

I used the one by the glove box. Remove the capacitor from the speaker to get full range. It puts out plenty of volume and sounds good.

Ron Helmuth
05-17-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm up in Longmont and was looking for an aux speaker. I got my system down at Radio Service Center and forgot the speaker. I visited Radio Shack and Best Buy and neither of them carry a small speaker and longer. Kind of amazing I thought.

Any suggestions?

I just bought a Midland CB 1001TX I believe- and they have a auxiliary speaker jack on the rear. They sell a cheapo speaker for under $20 and the noise filtered one is $25. Almost exactly what the base unit itself was....

Any model/brand suggestions for my antenna using ARB bumper placement?

My Firestick connection thru craigslist flaked out-I like the idea of the pole on the bumper to help me with parking-but the accessories seem to add up quickly. The spring is $11 the mount stud is $12.

Any other brand similar features to a Firestick but less pricy to mount and quick disconnect?

Beater
05-18-2009, 07:55 AM
I have a firestick or two I am not using if you want. No mount. white in color. just come get it

rover67
05-18-2009, 08:39 AM
i have a spring for a firestick just sitting in the garage if you want it. just PM me.

Ron Helmuth
05-20-2009, 01:31 PM
dang that is quite nice of you Beater and you also rover67

sending Private Messages now

nakman
05-26-2009, 05:32 PM
A couple of points to add to Groucho's comments.

3. In car installations it's not 12VDC that is the problem, but switching. The problem with running a coax next to a static 12VDC wire is more that you might induce noise into the car system more than the radio (i.e. make dash lights flicker, screw up your clock, weirdness like that). But if you run a coax next to say some of the wires that run to or from the ECU, then 12V switching is more than enough to introduce noise into the radio coax. It's safest to consider every wire potentially switching and do your orthogonality checks and keep separation. But that's also not really practical all the time, so sometimes you have to make due. This is also a function of the quality of your coax, workmanship on connectors, etc. Good coax can shield the signal better than cheap coax, so it's less likely to leak or be susceptible to induced noise.

So I wired up a brand new rig last night, and as I'm thinking how smart I am for actually using split loom, I remember this thread from last winter...

So I've got the +, the -, and antenna coax all running together under the carpet, below the shifters, then out through the firewall poked through the same grommet, all in the same happy little loom except in the grommet and when they're under the carpet that's under the seat. About two feet from the battery the coax leaves the other two and stays at the fender where the antenna will attach, which hopefully will happen tonight.

I could possibly run either the power or coax out the floor then up into the engine bay on the engine side of the firewall, but at this point am leaning towards just trying it how it is now. Per Dave's argument above, I am no where near any type of ECU switching, since the only things together are the Ham stuff. Oh, and between under the seat and the dash are 5 wires: +, -, coax, remote head, and remote speaker. I've got nice happy 8" loops of extra tied at the center... How will I know if my setup is no good?

DaveInDenver
05-26-2009, 06:09 PM
If you've bundled all the ham stuff and kept separation from the existing wiring harness, then issues would be likely isolated to noise on the radio. It's possible that in really poor installations to be generally noisy, but with reasonably good practice then you only need to be worried about wires that are basically close enough to be touching. That's not that touching is a requirement for noise coupling, just an indicator of how strong the induced field will be and wires that have even a few inches of space will have a much lower chance of coupling noise.

So the worry is that you might couple noise onto the power leads, which would induce RF into the charging system. But the way you have it wired, the noise would couple from the antenna lead onto the power leads. That would then connect at a single point at the battery and back into the power system. My guess is that it wouldn't be any worse than anything the alternator produces and so it's unlikely that you could create problems for the ECU, between the relatively low strength and that critical items will have filtering.

So if you think it's a decent install, I would just give it a try...

You will probably have zero noise with the truck off, but with it running is when any problems would appear. My guess is that you might pick up some alternator whine with the antenna feedline and power leads in close proximity for long runs. But it's harder to try and predict than to just experiment.

nakman
05-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Anyone up for a quick radio check? I'm going to drive around the block for a couple minutes, will monitor simplex. (don't have any repeaters programmed yet...)

corsair23
05-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Anyone up for a quick radio check? I'm going to drive around the block for a couple minutes, will monitor simplex. (don't have any repeaters programmed yet...)

Monitoring but I doubt I'll pick you up from here on my HT....

nakman
05-27-2009, 08:55 AM
thanks Jeff, I didn't hear anyone but that's alright I'm sure it's working fine. I can hear the fella's on the 145 chewing away real nice so I think the install is working.. I don't like it though the coax is getting squished too much IMO on the side of the hood, I may need to move it, or get a thinner cable. It's fine for a while though.

DaveInDenver
05-27-2009, 09:04 AM
I don't like it though the coax is getting squished too much IMO on the side of the hood, I may need to move it, or get a thinner cable. It's fine for a while though.
That sounds vaguely familiar to an earlier install, eh?

nakman
05-27-2009, 09:59 AM
That sounds vaguely familiar to an earlier install, eh?

Yeah a little too familiar, actually. Problem was they didn't have the cable in stock that has the super thin section towards the end, only one I could get was a fatter one. So it's as if a full width coax is poking between my hood and fender. I loosened the hinges and tried to shift the hood over to the side, and loosened the fender and managed to pull it outwards a little, combination of the two probably gave me another .150" You can move the cable when the hood's closed, so it's not completely smashed, but still, just don't like it.. :(

MDH33
05-27-2009, 10:26 AM
What if you placed your mount closer to the front of the fender/hood and ran the cable through the grill?

Let me know what time you want to test it tonight and I'll get on the air.

corsair23
05-27-2009, 12:52 PM
You can move the cable when the hood's closed, so it's not completely smashed, but still, just don't like it.. :(

How often are you going to opening and closing your hood? Maybe a wrap or two of electrical tape where the cable might get rubbed and call it good :) - I'm looking for some of those self adhesive cable holders locally (like these (http://cableorganizer.com/richco/adhesive-kwik-klips.html) or the type Hulk has) for my hatch mounted setup...I'm always opening and closing the hatch and the coax is probably going to get smooshed/sliced sooner or later.

fubuki
06-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Bought my first CB today. Ended up getting the Uniden Pro 520XL from Radio Service Center. Hope to put it to good use on the run Wednesday.