PDA

View Full Version : IFS fun

AxleIke
02-11-2009, 07:36 AM
I'll be keeping my eye on this: http://pirate4x4.com/gallery/main.php/v/shannon_campbell_s_new_koh_rig/

IFS gets a lot of bad press. I suppose we'll see how it holds up in competition rock crawling.

IIRC, there was an IFS buggy a few years ago, (I forget the driver) but the truck did poorly.

I'm excited to see the new ideas here.

Uncle Ben
02-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Wow! Shannons work always just leaves me with a dropped jaw! Spectacular! What a kick in the pants ride!

AxleIke
02-11-2009, 08:45 AM
I sure wish I could weld like him that's for sure.

AxleIke
02-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Dave, don't you wish you had the kind of coin to put stuff like that under the mini? It'd be interesting, to say the least.

Uncle Ben
02-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Some mini IFS truggy pr0n.

Ain't no "mini" about it.....heck there is no Japanese about it!

Also not a Truggy it would be classed as a "Moon" Buggy

AxleIke
02-11-2009, 09:39 AM
No truggy there though. That is ALL buggy.

Full hydro IFS. Funny thing about that is, a couple of years ago I was upset at my steering, and was looking at the front of my truck. Full hydro would fit PERFECTLY on an IFS mini truck. Too bad its not street legal, and the knuckles aren't up to the abuse.

AxleIke
02-11-2009, 09:39 AM
UB beat me to it.

AxleIke
02-11-2009, 09:40 AM
It looks to be the same tube chassis as his other racer, with a modified front end.

AxleIke
02-11-2009, 11:56 AM
No doubt Dave.

This truck is being done for a specific race. The KOH race is a totally different style. Its got 50 or more miles of desert fastness, with 5-10 miles of rock trails.

While this rig isn't going to run with the solid axle trucks in the rocks, it'll waste them on the desert portions.

For me though, its pretty inspirational, as many of us run trails that vary from rocks to sand washes, and some of the ideas in that build would work nicely on an upgraded IFS platform.

Uncle Ben
02-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Plus with the IFS, they won't spill their lattes.

You have obviously never met Campbell or any of the AZ rock freaks! Somehow Latte's just don't fit the crowd. Now if your refering to too much Bud Light foam your getting closer! :lmao::lmao:;)

Uncle Ben
02-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Weird, I'd always assumed all the other IFS drivers must also be prissy, not being serious 4WD tools and all. I mean, I enjoy slumming with the help as much as anybody, but gawd knows I would never be caught consuming PBR or Miller Lite on purpose. Who knew? I suppose I really should try this Bud Light you mention. It'll be fun, I'll skip the Chateau Brion just the once just to see how the common man lives.

:lmao: :bowdown::boozer: ;)

Jacket
02-11-2009, 01:27 PM
I feel like I need to post in this thread with you other rejects.....:D

AxleIke
02-11-2009, 01:31 PM
UB's the only reject here. He just say's "NO" to IFS. :D

Jacket
02-11-2009, 01:35 PM
He secretly lusts after Tacomas and T100's....

AxleIke
02-11-2009, 02:19 PM
He secretly lusts after Tacomas and T100's....

Shhhh.......Can't let that get out!

farnhamstj
02-11-2009, 03:06 PM
I'd like that front end.

Uncle Ben
02-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Man....that's not fair! I thought I did a good job keeping my dysfunctions in the closet. :o Dave, you are almost right.....the fact that Cruiser guys don't need as many tools is simply because they don't need as many as Mini guys! Mini's have larger cargo room so they can haul enough parts to finish the trail! Cruiser guys carry the fridges and a/v equipment because they can. Rocks, desert, snow and mall....Cruisers are ready thanks to Mr. Toyoda! ;) :hill:

Uncle Ben
02-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Uh, well, um, there's that. :-/ But in fairness, I didn't spend that much more time wrenching than Chris did on his FJ40. Plus I got to hang with Marlin and that ain't a bad thang.

Anyway, I have a fridge.

And bike pump and backup ARB compressor.

And 2 pairs of wheel chocks.

And an industrial first aid kit.

And 3 lbs drilling hammer.

And two shovels and a real ax.

And no less than 3 bottles openers (that I know of).

And emergency food, water pump, Optimus 99 stove.

And a couple of tarps and a sleeping bag.

And Wrigley's gum.

OK you win! :bowdown::bowdown: http://www.gifmania.co.uk/Star-Wars/yoda/Yoda.gif

Cheeseman
02-11-2009, 11:13 PM
You know I was lucky enough to be Walker Evan's desert racing shop about 4 years ago and saw all of his desert racing trucks. In there was the first truck to have these long a-arms. I believe he was the first. Off course this was built for speed and such. Not for crawlin'. But I did see his competion crawler too. This really is neat stuff.
________
Upskirt tube (http://www.****tube.com/categories/42/upskirt/videos/1)

isotel
02-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Any interest in a Solid Axle Eliminator Kit for the 80 Series?? ;)

Would you want to go 100MPH+ in a Moon Buggy?? I saw a buggy that came out of his shop at an XRRA Race, the Front A pillar Collapsed into the cab from a 10' Drop.. I think i would want a lot more Triangulation and Distance from the cage for a KOTH Racer!

Those guys work is top notch, and i would have no issues with a rock racer with that design, but when you start talking about over 100 mph in the desert, i would want some more tube!

Red_Chili
02-12-2009, 03:34 PM
I feel like I need to post in this thread with you other rejects.....:D
I like IFS.

Why, without it, I'd have hardly anything to do with my plasma cutter... :lol:

But actually I do notice my IFS DD rides none better than my straight axle. Worse actually. Need more weight I guess. But then the 22RE starts struggling (more). Then one thing leads to another...

And before I know it I'm broke and I have a pair of Chilis.

AxleIke
02-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Early IFS is TERRIBLE. I cannot think of a worse suspension than torsion bar IFS. Except maybe an unsprung wooden wheel wagon from the 1800's.

I think a solid axle swap is justified simply to get a comfortable ride around town.

Mine rides like a rock hitting concrete.

However, get a set of C/O's and bypasses like is on the campbell KOH racer, and I bet it rides REALLY nice.

AxleIke
02-12-2009, 07:32 PM
I have ball joint spacers, OME shocks, and everything relaxed down to stock. It rides better than it did stock, but still like a rock hitting concrete.

Simple yes. Robust, sort of. Its pretty stout, and generally doesn't need much other than shocks, but Tbars do snap.

I think a custom long travel would be sweet. Get a strong front third, and some custom axles. They'd be good with 35's, and with some good solid CO's it'd make a pretty sweet all around truck.

Red_Chili
02-13-2009, 08:13 AM
I think old Toyota trucks never rode like a Tacoma, ...
My Tacoma with a 4-cyl. SUCKED. OME coils/shocks coupled with minimal weight just did NOT work.

Oh well, my younger son seems to not notice.

Uncle Ben
02-13-2009, 09:48 AM
My Tacoma with a 4-cyl. SUCKED.

Got it! :lmao:

AxleIke
02-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Ah...

I see now why we are in disagreement. I LOVE a spongy, soft feel on the road, and off. Can't stand stiff suspension, like sports cars have.

This makes more sense now.

Red_Chili
02-13-2009, 01:06 PM
it was stiff like there was almost zero wheel travel
Pretty much describes the Taco. 3.4s with bull bars are like a whole different experience though. My wife's '97 4Runner with stock suspension and spacers is a great compromise, comfortable and wheels fairly competently (I wheeled it at CM05... didn't drive it home though... :doh:).

Uncle Ben
02-28-2009, 09:07 AM
The race is over and while Shannon was feared he wasn't much of a threat this time....
KOH'09 (http://www.pirate4x4.com/koh09/index.php)

AxleIke
02-28-2009, 10:07 AM
True. But a blown tranny isn't really something one can blame on IFS or SA. Just bad luck

Uncle Ben
02-28-2009, 01:06 PM
True. But a blown tranny isn't really something one can blame on IFS or SA. Just bad luck

Sure it is! With IFS it's either one thing or another..... :rolleyes: ;)